California Academy of Sciences - Worth the Trip?

Old July 27th, 2005, 06:31 PM

Default California Academy of Sciences - Worth the Trip?

Hello All,

I understand San Francisco's California Academy of Sciences is
currently under rennovation and won't reopen until 2008. However,
they've moved several exhibits to a new location during the
construction process. I'm wondering if anyone has visited the Academy
at its temporary location (875 Howard St.) and whether it's worth a
two-hour commute and dragging carloads of family members to this
makeshift museum?

Thanks.

-Fleemo

Old July 27th, 2005, 06:46 PM
PeterL

Hello All,

I understand San Francisco's California Academy of Sciences is
currently under rennovation and won't reopen until 2008. However,
they've moved several exhibits to a new location during the
construction process. I'm wondering if anyone has visited the Academy
at its temporary location (875 Howard St.) and whether it's worth a
two-hour commute and dragging carloads of family members to this
makeshift museum?

It depends.

Thanks.

-Fleemo

Old July 28th, 2005, 03:28 AM
alohacyberian

wrote in message
oups.com...
I understand San Francisco's California Academy of Sciences is
currently under rennovation and won't reopen until 2008. However,
they've moved several exhibits to a new location during the
construction process. I'm wondering if anyone has visited the Academy
at its temporary location (875 Howard St.) and whether it's worth a
two-hour commute and dragging carloads of family members to this
makeshift museum?

You haven't given any indication where your interests might lie, so it's
almost impossible to answer your questions. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old July 28th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Susan Wachob

I went with two little kids (2 & 4) and they loved it. But basically
what's there are a bunch of big tanks with fish and sharks, etc. No
decor and I don't remember any other displays. There is one very huge
tank with viewing seats in a darkened room that was kind of dramatic and
a bit scary for the kids.

I was vaguely bored.

Susan

Old July 28th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Susan Wachob

Oops- and I forgot the long rows of enclosures with snakes. I guess I
forgot it because I'm so afraid of them and went a long way around that
row. But those who like them thought they were exciting.

Susan

Old July 28th, 2005, 07:52 PM

You haven't given any indication where your interests might lie, so it's
almost impossible to answer your questions.

I'm merely trying to determine whether the makeshift museum is a pale
shadow of the academy or whether the temporary exhibits are worthy of a
visit. I love everything about the academy, from the planetarium to the
dinosaurs to the sea creatures to the mineral exhibits. I know the
planetarium is out of the equation, and I want to find out if what is
on display is worth the trip or whether I should wait it out for the
next three years.

-Fleemo