I-5 in California is dreary and awful

Old January 1st, 2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
Richard Fangnail

Default I-5 in California is dreary and awful

Is I-5 devoid of sights by design? If there were interesting sights
and family places, traffic would be slower. Is that why there is
nothing on it except gas stations, rest stops and drizzly weather?

Old January 1st, 2007, 07:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
Bert Hyman

In oups.com "Richard
Fangnail" wrote:

Is I-5 devoid of sights by design?

It is an Interstate, after all.

If there were interesting sights and family places, traffic would be
slower. Is that why there is nothing on it except gas stations, rest
stops and drizzly weather?

If you want scenery, look to the west and take Route 1, but be prepared
for a much, much longer trip. Maybe US 101 is a compromise; I've never
driven it.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old January 1st, 2007, 09:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
Don Kirkman

It seems to me I heard somewhere that Bert Hyman wrote in article
:

In oups.com "Richard
Fangnail" wrote:

Is I-5 devoid of sights by design?

It is an Interstate, after all.

If there were interesting sights and family places, traffic would be
slower. Is that why there is nothing on it except gas stations, rest
stops and drizzly weather?

If you want scenery, look to the west and take Route 1, but be prepared
for a much, much longer trip. Maybe US 101 is a compromise; I've never
driven it.

I'd consider US 101 a reasonable compromise, though we don't know
Richard's starting and ending points. It has always seemed to me to
allow roughly the same speeds as I-5, but because of the layout is
probably enough longer to affect the traveling time. There is fairly
good scenery in some areas, and the route passes some places with
history as well as the Salinas Valley agricultural areas.

The mountain stretch between Paso Robles and Santa Maria always seems
longer to me than the equivalent stretch over the mountains on the I-5,
FWIW.
--
Don Kirkman
Old January 1st, 2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
mdrawson

The most obvious alternative to the I-5 is Rte 99, which runs parallel to
the I-5 a few miles east and passes through/by all the major towns and
cities of the Central Valley --- it's kinda dreary but at least there's
something to see, and some of that is even interesting.

oups.com...

Old January 1st, 2007, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
Hatunen

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 16:21:40 -0500, "mdrawson"
wrote:

The most obvious alternative to the I-5 is Rte 99, which runs parallel to
the I-5 a few miles east and passes through/by all the major towns and
cities of the Central Valley --- it's kinda dreary but at least there's
something to see, and some of that is even interesting.

And CA-99 has towns you can stop in. Maybe find a real cafe to
lunch at.

Old January 1st, 2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
Hatunen

On 1 Jan 2007 10:00:31 -0800, "Richard Fangnail"
wrote:

Is I-5 devoid of sights by design? If there were interesting sights
and family places, traffic would be slower. Is that why there is
nothing on it except gas stations, rest stops and drizzly weather?

What? You didn't think the huge cattle feed lot was visually
interesting?

Old January 1st, 2007, 10:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
Anonymous[_1_]

Drizzly weather???

That's really rare on I-5. It must have made it more interesting than
usual.

I-5 i's also more interesting when there is a heavy fog. That's when
the 100 car pile ups occur!

Old January 1st, 2007, 11:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
Keith Keller

["Followup-To:" header set to ba.transportation.]

On 2007-01-01, Richard Fangnail wrote:
Is I-5 devoid of sights by design? If there were interesting sights
and family places, traffic would be slower. Is that why there is
nothing on it except gas stations, rest stops and drizzly weather?

It's because that's really all there is in California's Central
Valley. A road through nowhere can't be expected to have sights.
(I-5 through Oregon and Washington is slightly more interesting.)

--keith

--

(try just my userid to email me)

Old January 1st, 2007, 11:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
Binyamin Dissen

On 01 Jan 2007 18:08:22 GMT Bert Hyman wrote:

:In oups.com "Richard
:Fangnail" wrote:

: Is I-5 devoid of sights by design?

:It is an Interstate, after all.

: If there were interesting sights and family places, traffic would be
: slower. Is that why there is nothing on it except gas stations, rest
: stops and drizzly weather?

:If you want scenery, look to the west and take Route 1, but be prepared
:for a much, much longer trip. Maybe US 101 is a compromise; I've never
:driven it.

I think 99 runs thru some cities.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation
[email protected]

Richard Fangnail wrote:
Is I-5 devoid of sights by design? If there were interesting sights
and family places, traffic would be slower. Is that why there is
nothing on it except gas stations, rest stops and drizzly weather?

Couldn't agree with you more (well, except for the drizzly weather part.
That's not usually the case.) Since we live in Seattle and have to
make the trek to SoCal about once a year, we have experimented with all
sorts of alternate routes: 1, 101, 99 and 395 are all more interesting
than 5. But 5 is still your best bet if all you want to do is make
time: we can do it in two days if we overnight someplace like Grants
Pass or Weed. Get an interesting book on CD, grit your teeth and go.