Pack Urgently Needs Cleaning! How?

Old January 3rd, 2005, 07:41 PM
Violet

Default Pack Urgently Needs Cleaning! How?

My backpack traveled all over Asia with me for 3 years (and back and
forth between Asia and Canada a few times, too!), only to return home
with me where my cat promptly climbed in (after I had unpacked,
thankfully) and peed in it. Guess he was a little mad at me for being
gone so long.

The bag is now sticky and has a stench. What is the best way for me to
clean the pack, or do I need to buy a new one? I would prefer to wash
it - very thoroughly, of course - but my mom's tub backs up and I
can't hose it off because it's winter now. Would dry cleaning do the
trick, or would it destroy the bag? The tag says 100% nylon, but it
has no care intsructions and I've had no luck locating a website for
the manufacturer.

Any knowledgable advice would be greatly appreciated!

Rachel
Old January 3rd, 2005, 07:58 PM
Miguel Cruz

Violet wrote:
The bag is now sticky and has a stench. What is the best way for me to
clean the pack, or do I need to buy a new one? I would prefer to wash
it - very thoroughly, of course - but my mom's tub backs up and I
can't hose it off because it's winter now. Would dry cleaning do the
trick, or would it destroy the bag? The tag says 100% nylon, but it
has no care intsructions and I've had no luck locating a website for
the manufacturer.

I would find someone else whose tub does work, and soak it in detergent and
a bit of non-chlorine bleach (chlorine bleach is not a good idea with
nylon). Swish it around now and then, drain it after an hour or so, rinse
vigorously, and see how it's doing.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu