55°C ???

Old February 8th, 2009, 05:05 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default 55°C ???

Greetings to all co-sufferers under the heat in southeast Australia,
maybe the following is a consolation. It’s an excerpt from Charles
Sturt’s diary, one of our early explorers. It was the summer of 1844,
and he was on the way to his very own Sturts Stony Desert and the
(then) feared Simpson.
"The thermometer reading 131ºF {55°C} in the shade…the atmosphere was
so dry that the drays all but fell to pieces, every screw in the
various boxes was drawn, the horn handles of the instruments and the
combs split up into fine laminae, the lead dropped out of the pencils,
… the men’s hair and the wool on the sheep ceased to grow, and their
finger nails became brittle as glass… terrific hot wind blew across
the plains, with nothing to break its force. The thermometer,
graduated up to 127ºF {52°C}, burst from the heat, and the ground was
so hot that a match dropped upon it ignited immediately…”
Imagine that poor guy without esky, batteries or phone to complain to
anyone. I have all that and still feel like above pencil with all
sense dropping out of me.
Klaus and Rusty
www.oz-greetings.com.au
Nature, Wilderness & Geology
Old February 8th, 2009, 05:11 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

[Default] On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 20:05:52 -0800 (PST),
offered the following words of wisdom:

[...]

And here we are, complaining about 30°C heat on the east coast of New
Zealand. Guess it's all relative. I remember having to wear a sweater
in Hawaii when I lived there because it felt cold at around 82°F.

Swings and roundabouts ... but I really feel it for you guys over
there right now. All the best, b
Old February 8th, 2009, 06:38 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Dick Adams[_2_]

And here we are, complaining about 30°C heat on the east coast of New
Zealand. Guess it's all relative. I remember having to wear a sweater
in Hawaii when I lived there because it felt cold at around 82°F.

Heat is bearable if you have AC of fans. But you ain't never felt
cold until you live in the land of the damnyankee snow. Places
like Chicago and Minneapolis have temperatures around -30C at least
a few days every year or so and temperatures between -10C and -20C
are very common. Plus shovelling snow and chipping ice sucks.

Dick
Old February 8th, 2009, 07:17 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

[Default] On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 05:38:40 +0000 (UTC),
(Dick Adams) offered the following words of wisdom:

And here we are, complaining about 30°C heat on the east coast of New
Zealand. Guess it's all relative. I remember having to wear a sweater
in Hawaii when I lived there because it felt cold at around 82°F.

Heat is bearable if you have AC of fans. But you ain't never felt
cold until you live in the land of the damnyankee snow. Places
like Chicago and Minneapolis have temperatures around -30C at least
a few days every year or so and temperatures between -10C and -20C
are very common. Plus shovelling snow and chipping ice sucks.

Extremes in weather can be difficult to handle whatever direction the
temperature - at least for me. I'm just relieved that we've just got a
change of wind that's cooled things down a bit and blown away the
dreadful humidity (something with which Chicago and Minneapolis would
be familiar!). We don't have AC, but we do have floor fans that cool
things down.

I remember being in the mid-west when you had to make sure you dried
your hands perfectly before you went outside because, otherwise, the
moisture would cause your skin to split. Later that day I slid into
another car when I hit a patch of "black ice" at an intersection.
There was not a damn thing I could do but just sit there and watch it
happen ;-)

Last time we were in Chicago - in early January - we flew out to LAX
in the last United flight allowed to leave that day. Frankly, I would
have been happy for it to have been cancelled. We had to wait twice,
may three times, for the wings to be de-iced and took off in a
blizzard. I'm sure I wasn't the only one on board saying non-stop Hail
Mary's and genuflecting madly on take-off.

Old February 14th, 2009, 02:49 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote in message
[...]

Wow that is way to hot for me i can handle the cold more then can handle the
heat.