Rhein cruises

Old August 27th, 2016, 10:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default Rhein cruises

Looking for suggestions. I've been playing around with river cruise
websites, for a future(2018?)trip with a friend who does not speak German
along the river I know best, but she is a much better walker than I am.
Viking requires everyone to pay in advance for all their hikes(aka
"walks"), so they're off my list automatically. I've found several that
seem to race from Amsterdam to somewhere in Switzerland or vice versa,
stopping briefly in the wrong places. I'd really prefer one that covered
less river unless part of it was also along the Mosel. Beginning or ending
in Köln, Koblenz, or Mainz(or Frankfurt) would be even better. If
excursions were wheeled, it wouldn't matter if they were in German, because
I could translate for her, but if much walking is involved, they'd have to
be in English so she could go without me. I'd like suggestions of lines I
may have missed.
Note: I could be the tour guide if I could hike the way I could a few
years ago 8-/

Old August 27th, 2016, 11:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 8/27/2016 5:10 PM, Erilar wrote:

[...]

I can't help you, but I will be following any responses with great interest.

Old August 28th, 2016, 10:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim...[_2_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 16:10:51 -0500, Erilar
wrote:

[...]

I've done it by travelling with KD and staying in small hotels overnight.
http://www.kdrhine.com/
How can anybody charge you for a hike?

The same way that they can (justify) charging for a city centre walking
tour.

Someone is specifically making their living that way, they don't work for
nothing

tim

Old August 28th, 2016, 02:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_12_]

"Erilar" wrote in message

[...]

You really want this one:
http://www.tauck.co.uk/tours/europe-...Page=Itinerary

--
JohnT

Old August 28th, 2016, 09:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Martin wrote:
[...]

Viking requires all excursions be paid for along with the cruise price. It
took a mess of emailing to get all the details. There is no provision for
non- hikers.

--
biblioholic medievalist via iPad
Old August 29th, 2016, 05:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Happy.Hobo

On 08-27-2016 16:10, Erilar wrote:
Looking for suggestions. I've been playing around with river cruise
websites, for a future(2018?)trip with a friend who does not speak German
along the river I know best, but she is a much better walker than I am.
Viking requires everyone to pay in advance for all their hikes(aka
"walks"), so they're off my list automatically. I've found several that

I'd bicycle from port to port rather than pay cruise prices. And I'll
get there before my friends on ship.

As for Viking, I was very careful (as always) to say NO to advertising.
That didn't stop them from dropping an expensive 20-30 page full color
solicitation in my mailbox every week. Even if the cost were
reasonable, I do not do business with spammers.
Old August 29th, 2016, 09:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim...[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Presumably that's a special "hiking cruise"

Viking have a list of weekly river cruises for "normal" tourism.

tim

Old August 29th, 2016, 09:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim...[_2_]

"JohnT" wrote in message

"Erilar" wrote in message

[...]

Am I alone in thinking that this company is somewhat pricey

e.g. 4 grand for a 14 day holiday in PL/CZ, not including air fares, looks
well OTT to me

tim

Old August 29th, 2016, 10:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim...[_2_]

"Happy.Hobo" wrote in message
On 08-27-2016 16:10, Erilar wrote:
Looking for suggestions. I've been playing around with river cruise
websites, for a future(2018?)trip with a friend who does not speak German
along the river I know best, but she is a much better walker than I am.
Viking requires everyone to pay in advance for all their hikes(aka
"walks"), so they're off my list automatically. I've found several that

I'd bicycle from port to port rather than pay cruise prices. And I'll get
there before my friends on ship.

Unfortunately a large amount of the "value" of a cruise is seen to be the on
board activities and they are timed, and priced accordingly

Personally, I don't see any value in that at all, and as soon as someone
starts up cruises where the focus is on the on-shore attractions with no
need to pay for on board activities that I have no interest in, I will sign
up

but on the odd occasion when companies have tried that approach, they have
failed to be profitable

tim

Old August 29th, 2016, 12:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Sat, 27 Aug 2016 16:10:51 -0500 schrieb Erilar:

Looking for suggestions. I've been playing around with river cruise
websites, for a future(2018?)trip with a friend who does not speak German
along the river I know best, but she is a much better walker than I am.

If you speak German, then have a look at:

www.e-hoi.de

There you pick "Flusskreuzfahrten" and look what they have on offer. You
can narrow down your search regarding the river, time of the cruise and so
on.

It's basically a travel-agent specialized on cruises. I booked with them
three times before, they sometimes have good offers.

They often have short cruises from Köln down the Rhine in direction of
Basel, some of them also combine with the Mosel. You can also go North from
Köln to Amsterdam, but that part of th Rhine is not that scenic.

Regards,

Frank