Rhein ferry information

Old June 21st, 2004, 07:50 PM
Suzan

Default Rhein ferry information

Do the ferries that run between towns on the Rhein (between St. Goar and St.
Goarhausen, or between Bingen and Rudesheim, for example), run back and
forth continously, or is there a set schedule with just a few crossings per
day? Fares? Do these ferries all accomodate cars? I am assuming these
ferries are separate from the boats that cruise up and down the river -- I
have those schedules. I am just wondering how easy -- or not -- it will be
to get from one town to another across the river as we explore.

Old June 21st, 2004, 08:19 PM
Tim Kroesen

Just did this last month and it was great! I hopped on the Rhine at
Bophal to shorten the hours to Rudesheim to 4.5 (8.5 from Koblenz) then
crossed the river via one of many ferries to Bingen and the main rail
line on the west bank to depart area by train. I can only comment on
'KD' line which runs a regular schedule back and forth but there appear
to be others including car ferries... Google... KD Rhine excursions are
*free* to Eurail pass holders on a designated pass travel day right now
as a bonus!

http://www.k-d.com/engl/index.html

Tim K

Old June 21st, 2004, 10:40 PM
Keith Anderson

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:50:18 -0400, "Suzan"
wrote:

Do the ferries that run between towns on the Rhein (between St. Goar and St.
Goarhausen, or between Bingen and Rudesheim, for example), run back and
forth continously, or is there a set schedule with just a few crossings per
day? Fares? Do these ferries all accomodate cars? I am assuming these
ferries are separate from the boats that cruise up and down the river -- I
have those schedules. I am just wondering how easy -- or not -- it will be
to get from one town to another across the river as we explore.

Hope you've got a bit of German ...........

http://www.bacharach.de/german/code/aktivvg/pg2.html

if you go to this site and scroll down, there are timetables for most
of the "Fähre" (ferries) across the river.

The St Goar-St Goarshausen ferry is foot passengers + cars/buses:
Bingen-Rüdesheim has separate ferries for vehicles and foot
passengers.

Old June 22nd, 2004, 12:42 AM
Suzan

Well my German is not all that good, but it from the site (Thanks for the
link) it appears that the ferries do go back and forth continuously, between
the stated hours -- is that correct?

Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:31 AM
Tim Kroesen

KD line definitely does.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...e/boot0201.htm

http://www.rhine.vacation-package.ne...bacharach.html

http://www.rhine-river-hotel-haus-be...schreibung.htm

http://www.roesslerlinie.de/rhine_as...ule_summer.htm

Tim K

Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:20 AM
Ulf Kutzner

Tim Kroesen schrieb:

Just did this last month and it was great! I hopped on the Rhine at
Bophal

Madhya Pradesh, India? Union Carbide? Strange.

to shorten the hours to Rudesheim to 4.5 (8.5 from Koblenz) then
crossed the river via one of many ferries to Bingen and the main rail
line on the west bank to depart area by train.

Should that read "Boppard"?

Regards, ULF
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:23 AM
Ulf Kutzner

Suzan schrieb:

Well my German is not all that good, but it from the site (Thanks for the
link) it appears that the ferries do go back and forth continuously, between
the stated hours -- is that correct?

Some have fixed schedules - every xx minutes, others just go back and
forth as they want or when they are full - including ones that have
schedules.

Waiting isn't normally a problem - quite intersting to see ship, ferry
and train movements.

Regards, ULF
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:47 AM
Keith Anderson

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:42:15 -0400, "Suzan"
wrote:

Well my German is not all that good, but it from the site (Thanks for the
link) it appears that the ferries do go back and forth continuously, between
the stated hours -- is that correct?

Yes - with the Bingen-Rüdesheim foot-passenger ferry(for example) ,
you shouldn't have to wait for more than about 20 minutes.

As well as passenger and car ferries, plus the KD passenger services
up and down the river, as well as local boat companies offering "there
and back" excursions, there's a railway both sides of the river with
hourly interval services.

Have fun!

.. .

Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:18 AM
Ulf Kutzner

Tim Kroesen schrieb:

Just did this last month and it was great! I hopped on the Rhine at
Bophal

Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India? Union Carbide? Strange.

Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:33 PM
erilar

In article , "Suzan"
wrote:

Do the ferries that run between towns on the Rhein (between St. Goar and
St.
Goarhausen, or between Bingen and Rudesheim, for example), run back and
forth continously, or is there a set schedule with just a few crossings
per
day? Fares? Do these ferries all accomodate cars? I am assuming these
ferries are separate from the boats that cruise up and down the river --
have those schedules. I am just wondering how easy -- or not -- it will
be
to get from one town to another across the river as we explore.

Afoot or by car? That's the first question. Unless schedules have
changed drastically since the last time I was current on this, at least
some of them stop in several places before coming back to where they
started. Someone on this list will certainly be able to tell you where
to get a current schedule, I'm sure.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument
is that reason doesn't count. Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo