Pan, ask your question on the Peter Neville Hadley list too

Old July 11th, 2004, 06:37 AM
U RIKA kaka

Default Pan, ask your question on the Peter Neville Hadley list too

I would also google for Mainland expats and email the question. I only
know that Jilin has a Manchurian culinary association as well as
"Koreans and their brilliant pickles." That may not be worth the trip
to you.

sorry I lose the post after I read it because my newsgroup reader is set
to max declutter mode.
Old July 11th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Pan

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 05:37:03 GMT, U RIKA kaka
wrote:

I would also google for Mainland expats and email the question. I only
know that Jilin has a Manchurian culinary association as well as
"Koreans and their brilliant pickles." That may not be worth the trip
to you.

[snip]

Apparently, there's also a meteorite museum with a big meteorite.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.

Old August 9th, 2004, 03:28 PM
ggg

wrote:

I would also google for Mainland expats and email the question. I only
know that Jilin has a Manchurian culinary association as well as
"Koreans and their brilliant pickles." That may not be worth the trip
to you.

[snip]

Apparently, there's also a meteorite museum with a big meteorite.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Michael

ok, I don't want to go to Jilin now.

2 kids poisoned by abandoned Japanese chemical bombs
www.chinaview.cn 2004-07-29 16:28:41

CHANGCHUN, July 29 (Xinhuanet) -- Two Chinese children became ill
last week after touching liquid leaking from a chemical bomb deserted
by the Japanese army during the Second World War in northeast China's
Jilin province, official sources said on Wednesday.

China's health authority has sent a medical team to treat them,and
doctors with the local hospital said the infected kids were insafe
condition and the medical treatment was in progress.

Official sources said the incident happened at 1:00 pm on July 23,
when four kids were taking a bath in a stream of the Lianhuapao farm,
Dunhua city of Jilin province. They found the bomb in the water and
two of them touched the liquid flowing from it. Their hands and feet
became flared and they suffered serious injuries.

The kids were sent to the local Dunhua Hospital, where their
symptoms were diagnosed as mustard gas poisoning.

After careful examination, Chinese experts confirmed that the bomb
was among those abandoned by the Japanese army during World War II.

Sources from the Foreign Ministry said the Japanese side will soon
send representatives to investigate the case.

Earlier this month, two Japanese veterans came to identify some
possible sites of abandoned chemical weapon in Jilin but no official
result has been released from either the Chinese or Japanese side yet.

The two Japanese, Toguchi Yosiktaro and Kobayashi Toshio, worked
in the 16th field operation weapon factory in Jixi City in
Heilongjiang Province and Dunhua City in Jilin Province during Japan's
invasion into China from 1937 to 1945.

Statistics show that at least 2,000 Chinese have so far become
victims of the discarded Japanese chemical weapons since the war
ended. Enditem

Old August 10th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Pan

On 9 Aug 2004 07:28:52 -0700, (ggg) wrote:

ok, I don't want to go to Jilin now.

2 kids poisoned by abandoned Japanese chemical bombs
www.chinaview.cn 2004-07-29 16:28:41
[snip]

Too bad for the kids, but what does that have to do with visitor? You
might as well say Belgium is unsafe because every once in a while,
someone gets killed or injured by old WWII and WWI ordnance.

Old August 10th, 2004, 03:19 PM
ggg

Pan wrote:
On 9 Aug 2004 07:28:52 -0700, (ggg) wrote:

ok, I don't want to go to Jilin now.

2 kids poisoned by abandoned Japanese chemical bombs
www.chinaview.cn 2004-07-29 16:28:41

[snip]

Too bad for the kids, but what does that have to do with visitor? You
might as well say Belgium is unsafe because every once in a while,
someone gets killed or injured by old WWII and WWI ordnance.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.

China can't police food production and there are too many poor people
behind the times. If kids found this floating around in the water,
there must be ones in fields beneath crops. Everyone is afraid of what
to eat these days including the government officials (South China
Morning Post -if I find the article I'll post it). We don't use
imported Chinese dried ingredients in cooking because of the
industrial-grade salt and sugar, sulfites and bleach that are coming
out. Shanghai is making the best effort with the best budget but they
are still coming across heinous practices. Beijing restauranteurs with
the help of greenhouses and hydroponics are supplying their own
vegetables. Hongkong friends won't touch the fake-label mung bean
noodles and were the first to warn us about why it doesn't matter if the
coke bottle is capped. And if you're in Canton and have a choice
between the dried fish vendor with no flies over his basket of wares and
the other guy with many many flies - pick fly guy because he didn't dip
his fish in ddt before salting it. Japan has more to worry about than
authenticity if they are using Chinese goods in their souvenir foods. A
Korean mama told me more than ten years ago that anyone who didn't make
their own kimchee was lazy and stupid because prettily packaged kimchee
in Korea and Japan was made from bulk Napa Cabbage in China that was
FILTHY but then bleached and trimmed in Korea and Japan. HK news
reported food atrocities in Shenzhen many many times over the years as
well as predicting an Aids explosion prediction in Yunnan during a
travel piece because they didn't think it was charming that former Thai
expats had set up an expat street in Yunnan - the perceptive HK travel
writer took one look at them and saw HIV+ exiles. But whoever listens
to the HK voice of reason.

I didn't want to be the don't eat that poster but that's where I'm
coming from.