Anchorage

Old January 13th, 2007, 07:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Deedee

Default Anchorage

Advice needed on Anchorage! We will be arriving in Whittier (post
Sapphire Princess cruise), staying the night and flying out the next
day at 10 PM. Basically we've got 2 full days there. Where should we
stay? What should we do? What about cruise ship transfers or
excursions? There are 4 of us including my 82 year old father who uses
a cane and our 13 year old daughter. All input will be greatly
appreciated!
Deedee

Old January 14th, 2007, 01:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K

On 1/13/2007 2:03 PM Deedee wrote:
Advice needed on Anchorage! We will be arriving in Whittier (post
Sapphire Princess cruise), staying the night and flying out the next
day at 10 PM. Basically we've got 2 full days there. Where should we
stay? What should we do? What about cruise ship transfers or
excursions? There are 4 of us including my 82 year old father who uses
a cane and our 13 year old daughter. All input will be greatly
appreciated!
Deedee

A good place to start would be with your cruise line's web site. Most
carry points of interest information on home ports as well as
ports-of-call. Some like HAL if given your cruise booking number will
give cruise specific information about excursions ports, etc.

Anchorage is the capital of Alaska. Unlike some of the older towns and
cities, there isn't a whole lot to the city. If you aren't interested
in the houses of government or a college it's not all that much. Where
the area excels is resort hotels that are away from the city. For
example the Alyaska Hotel is right next to a ski run. Staying at the
hotel gives you free access to the lifts and cable car. There are also
several nature trails emanating from the hotel gardens.

The Alyaska also has a world class spa complete with thermal baths. With
location and many luxury amenities this hotel can cost as much as
$400.00 a night. But if you aren't on a budget, I say go for it.

--
____
Brian M. Kochera
Old January 14th, 2007, 11:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dennis P. Harris

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 01:11:57 GMT in rec.travel.cruises, Brian K
wrote:

Anchorage is the capital of Alaska.

Check your facts, please. JUNEAU is the capital city. It has
been since 1912, and they haven't moved it yet.

Anchorage is the largest city, and is basically a big overgrown
suburb without much but tourist traps and overpriced hotels. I'd
advise the OP to spend an extra day in Seward and take a Kenai
Fjords whale watching trip, or stay in the Portage/Girdwood area
for a night.

If the OP really wants to see Alaska, though, she won't come on a
cruise ship.

If you want to see the real Alaska, don't come on a
cruise ship! See the cruise industry rogue's gallery
at http://www.cruisejunkie.com/#Environmental_Issues

Dennis P. Harris
Old January 14th, 2007, 05:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rudy[_2_]

If you're there on Sat. or Sun., take in the festivities at the Flea
Market..........tasty food(especially Reindeer Sausage Dogs) & unique crafts
a plenty.

oups.com...

Old January 14th, 2007, 06:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
The Captain

Deedee wrote:
Advice needed on Anchorage! We will be arriving in Whittier (post
Sapphire Princess cruise), staying the night and flying out the next
day at 10 PM. Basically we've got 2 full days there. Where should we
stay? What should we do? What about cruise ship transfers or
excursions? There are 4 of us including my 82 year old father who uses
a cane and our 13 year old daughter. All input will be greatly
appreciated!
Deedee

The Captain,

If you booked with a travel agent contact them? If not, contact
whomever you booked the Princess Cruise with and ask them. If none of
them can help, then I suggest you find an experienced professional
travel agent to help in the future. (When you book through them they
are there to help and serve you with issues like these)

www.theluxuryships.com

Old January 14th, 2007, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Deedee

The Captain wrote:
The Captain,

If you booked with a travel agent contact them? If not, contact
whomever you booked the Princess Cruise with and ask them. If none of
them can help, then I suggest you find an experienced professional
travel agent to help in the future. (When you book through them they
are there to help and serve you with issues like these)

www.theluxuryships.com

Yes, we have a wonderful travel agent who will ultimately take care of
all of our questions and needs. However, isn't the reason for a
posting forum to gather a broad brush of information and opinion? My
thoughts and ideas are greatly reinforced (or called into question) by
gathering the input of others with a large and varied base of
knowledge. This seems to be a wonderful and active web sight. Thank
you to everyone who is helping us out!
Deedee

Old January 14th, 2007, 08:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus

Dennis P. Harris wrote:

If the OP really wants to see Alaska, though, she won't come on a
cruise ship.

I hear that driving to Juneau is quite an adventure, Dennis. However, I
sure don't disagree with your description of the tourist traps. My GOD,
man, I felt I was in India or Persia when I visited Juneau the last time.
--
-Nonnymus- Please stop Californicating Nevada

In the periodic table, as in politics,
the unstable elements tend to hang out on
the far left, with some to the right as well.
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dennis P. Harris

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:30:06 -0800 in rec.travel.cruises,
Nonnymus wrote:

My GOD,
man, I felt I was in India or Persia when I visited Juneau the last time.

Well, that's where a bunch of the fly-by-night merchants who
follow the cruise ships come from. Carpets? Tanzanite? Not
from locally owned shops!

Believe me, we don't like it either. South Franklin is now an
abandoned dead zone during the winter with all the storefronts
boarded up.

Old January 15th, 2007, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
J Carnaghie

wrote:

Anchorage is the capital of Alaska.

Check your facts, please. JUNEAU is the capital city. It has
been since 1912, and they haven't moved it yet.

Anchorage is the largest city, and is basically a big overgrown
suburb without much but tourist traps and overpriced hotels. I'd
advise the OP to spend an extra day in Seward and take a Kenai
Fjords whale watching trip, or stay in the Portage/Girdwood area
for a night.

If the OP really wants to see Alaska, though, she won't come on a
cruise ship.

If you want to see the real Alaska, don't come on a
cruise ship! See the cruise industry rogue's gallery
at http://www.cruisejunkie.com/#Environmental_Issues

Dennis P. Harris

Dear Dennis,
If one is arriving at Whittier, staying at Seward makes as much
sense as staying in Downtown Los Angeles to visit San Diego. One can
do it but why?
I found the Earthquake Park in Anchorage well worth a visit -
complete with wandering Moose.
Rental Cars are relatively inexpensive, and for a wonderful view
of Denali, visit the Veterans Memorial on the Denali Highway out of
Anchorage. A very easy drive and frequently some really wonderful views.
Cheers,
John in LALALand (On the Left Coast)
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
AkSusan

Check out our visitor's bureau web site at www.anchorage.net Lots of
information there and you can check out lodging and other stuff.

Lots of stuff to do for a two day visit. We aren't just one big tourist
trap as everyone seems to think from their postings.

Susan in Anchorage