Slovakia: Culture Shock?

Old April 11th, 2007, 09:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Default Slovakia: Culture Shock?

Make credence recognised that on Wed, 11 Apr 2007 05:28:17 GMT, "tile"
has scripted:

"Deeply Filled Mortician" ha
scritto nel messaggio ...
Make credence recognised that on Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:14:24 GMT, "tile"
has scripted:

I have not seen Borat ( I want to ) but Slovakia is now
living in an economical boom. there are at least 3 cars factories and a
lot
of industries from all European countries.
Maybe it depends on taxes. there is only a TAX level

19%..

a dream for most people living in other countries of the world ( By the
way,
the Czech republic is planning to lower taxes to 14%.. )

Perhaps Italy could consider lowering the 52% taxes that they suffer
right now.

Magari...
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

or emigrate..

And miss out on all the good complaining that happens here? Never...
--
---
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Apr 10, 11:23 pm, VainGlorious
wrote:

actually, I'll be in Slovakia next month. I look forward to the
steel chairs and rusty metal saws. It's so hard to find good public
torture chambers in the US!

Hey, thanks to everybody, even you and the Mortician. I thought that
if I emphasized a Baby Boom/Yuppie persona, I'd get some angry
smoking barrel-waisted dudes and matrons in Hawaiian print shorts but
hypersensitive hypochondriacs comme moi.

Particularly grateful for the anecdote about not sitting at a hotel
table assigned to a room! Sounds so inviting, I'm going to move up my
departure date. You can just call me MISTER Torn Curtain.

Old April 12th, 2007, 07:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sarah Banick

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd like to know what a vegetarian non-smoking germaphobic OCD
American anticipating a long-time stay in Slovakia should anticipate
in terms of dining, smoking, (food) marketplace, and accommodation
(hotel) habits in smaller cities such as Presov, Michalovce, Kosice,
etc.

Thank you.

I hope you like cheese! (you didn't say you were vegan)

Seriously, I don't eat meat or poultry. I go to Europe every year, and I eat
a lot of cheese, bread, and fresh fruit when I can find it. And other dairy
products -- yoghurt (which is better than in the US), quark (am I spelling
that right?) and other dairy. Or quiche.

See this link: http://www.slovensko.com/about/food/ The Internet has a lot
of answers for you.

I guess you're staying in a hotel? Maybe you an find something with a
kitchenette? Obviously, if you can cook, you can take care of yourself.
Slovak food uses meat in a lot of places, traditionally ('cause they were a
poor country and they used every drop of bacon grease, lard, etc. they could
for protein, My grandmother never got over the idea). But people don't eat
that way at home any more. If you're eating out a lot, try to find Italian
restaurants (various pasta selections) or Asian places. (Indian, Chinese,
Thai, etc.) Watch for meat broths in things like veggie soups.

The three towns you mentioned are not particularly small, depending on your
comparisan, so they should allow some diversity in dining, hotels, etc. Run
the name of the town through Google...most cities have a city page with
basic info.

Can't help you with the OCD or the germs! But I wouldn't expect anything to
be particularly dirty. It's not a third world country, after all. The people
are hard working and they keep nice, if not expensive, homes.

Old April 12th, 2007, 07:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

"Sarah Banick" ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..

wrote in message
[...]

outside Bratislava home prices are very cheap

moja stara babicka had a 240 square metres villa, plus 1000 square metres
garden and 120 square metres cellar.

its price does not exceed the 60.000 eur

and it is in a very importnat town. Poprad. not so far from Kosice or
Presov. again. Michaloivce is a village.
or a small town of 40.000 people

www.michalovce.sk
then you have

www.presov.sk

www.kosice.sk

if you have time. go to Ukraina. it is not far and maybe you do not need a
visa

Old April 12th, 2007, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Sarah Banick wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd like to know what a vegetarian non-smoking germaphobic OCD
American anticipating a long-time stay in Slovakia should anticipate
in terms of dining, smoking, (food) marketplace, and accommodation
(hotel) habits in smaller cities such as Presov, Michalovce, Kosice,
etc.

Thank you.

I hope you like cheese! (you didn't say you were vegan)

Seriously, I don't eat meat or poultry.

Do you eat fish and seafood? That makes it a lot easier, even there.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On 10 apr, 16:14, "tile" wrote:

a dream for most people living in other countries of the world

Luckily for us - our "cleaning lady" is a Slovak girl and she is
incredibly diligent. She is on holiday back home right now, and we
live in fear of her getting married and moving away :-) I'd have to do
my own ironing :-(

B;

Old April 13th, 2007, 01:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sarah Banick

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
Sarah Banick wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd like to know what a vegetarian non-smoking germaphobic OCD
American anticipating a long-time stay in Slovakia should anticipate
in terms of dining, smoking, (food) marketplace, and accommodation
(hotel) habits in smaller cities such as Presov, Michalovce, Kosice,
etc.

Thank you.

I hope you like cheese! (you didn't say you were vegan)

Seriously, I don't eat meat or poultry.

Do you eat fish and seafood? That makes it a lot easier, even there.

Yeah, I do. Since he didn't say it, my guess is the OP does not.

I try not to use the word "vegetarian" to describe myself -- a true
vegetarian wouldn't eat fish. No matter what label I use, somebody gets
confused :-)

Old April 13th, 2007, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Sarah Banick wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd like to know what a vegetarian non-smoking germaphobic OCD
American anticipating a long-time stay in Slovakia should anticipate
in terms of dining, smoking, (food) marketplace, and accommodation
(hotel) habits in smaller cities such as Presov, Michalovce, Kosice,
etc.

Thank you.

I hope you like cheese! (you didn't say you were vegan)

Seriously, I don't eat meat or poultry.

Do you eat fish and seafood? That makes it a lot easier, even there.

Yeah, I do. Since he didn't say it, my guess is the OP does not.

I try not to use the word "vegetarian" to describe myself -- a true
vegetarian wouldn't eat fish. No matter what label I use, somebody gets
confused :-)

Not me- when someone says vegetarian, then I assume they don't eat meat
or fish, but unless they're specific about being vegan, I'll usually
assume they eat dairy etc., though if I'm making a meal, I'll ask just
to be sure.

Old April 13th, 2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

wrote:

On 10 apr, 16:14, "tile" wrote:

a dream for most people living in other countries of the world

Luckily for us - our "cleaning lady" is a Slovak girl and she is
incredibly diligent. She is on holiday back home right now, and we
live in fear of her getting married and moving away :-) I'd have to do
my own ironing :-(

I pay my partner to do my ironing! Some of my friends think that odd,
but it makes perfect sense to me.

Old April 13th, 2007, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Apr 13, 5:35 pm, (David Horne, _the_ chancellor
(*)) wrote:
wrote:
On 10 apr, 16:14, "tile" wrote:

a dream for most people living in other countries of the world

Luckily for us - our "cleaning lady" is a Slovak girl and she is
incredibly diligent. She is on holiday back home right now, and we
live in fear of her getting married and moving away :-) I'd have to do
my own ironing :-(

I pay my partner to do my ironing! Some of my friends think that odd,
but it makes perfect sense to me.

I can understand you paying, I can't understand how anyone could be so
desperate as to iron for a living. Surely there are better ways to get
money? Crime? Prostitution?

B;