Help: Athens/Greece, Picture of the Parthenon from Filopappou Hill

Old April 15th, 2007, 06:23 PM posted to alt.travel.greece,rec.travel.europe
cannga

Default Help: Athens/Greece, Picture of the Parthenon from Filopappou Hill

Hello,

I am traveling to Greece this summer. Question for the "experts" please:

http://sfr.ee.teiath.gr/htmSELIDES/A.../Parthenon29.j
pg

The above "classic" shot of Parthenon at golden hours is from Filopappou
Hill? I plan to stay in the Plaka area. Is it possible to walk from Plaka to
Filopappou Hill and approximately how long does it take please?

How much of a hike are we talking about up the hill (how long & strenuous)?
If not possible to walk, I could rent a car and drive there? Bus/taxi?

For the photographers he From the Filopappou Hill, this particular shot
was taken perhaps at 70mm focal length?

I will be w/ my family and for these sunrise/sunset time shots, I just need
to plan ahead of time so I could get back in time to feed them. :-)

If you've done it, please be as detailed as you could! Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Can
http://www.pbase.com/cannga/italy_2004

Old April 15th, 2007, 07:05 PM posted to alt.travel.greece,rec.travel.europe
arlene

Hi,

It isn't far at all from the Plaka. How long? I can't tell you.

All the really interesting things are along that area. Perhaps your
hotel could tell you how far. It all depends on what condition you are in.

Won't your hotel provide you with a breakfast?

Arlene

Old April 15th, 2007, 08:39 PM posted to alt.travel.greece,rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 18:23:54 +0100, cannga wrote
(in article ):

[...]

It's about a mile in distance but the problem is it's on the opposite side of
the Acropolis hill. The most direct way would be to take the road up past the
entrance to the Acropolis and follow it along back down the opposite side.
You will then come to a busy road called Dionysiou Areopagitou. On the
opposite side of this you will see a kiosk near which the paved path starts
which leads up Filopappou Hill. All in all there's quite a bit of climbing
involved so I would allow about an hour from the Plaka to get to the top.

Do bear in mind though that Athens can get extremely hot in the summer.
Temperatures of 40 degrees C are not unknown and it doesn't seem to get much
cooler at night. With these temperatures any activity becomes difficult, let
alone climbing hills! I've not actually done it myself mainly for this
reason.

--
Mike Lane (UK North Yorkshire)
To contact me replace invalid with mike underscore lane

Old April 15th, 2007, 09:35 PM posted to alt.travel.greece,rec.travel.europe
Alexander Arnakis

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 19:39:46 GMT, Mike Lane wrote:

It's about a mile in distance but the problem is it's on the opposite side of
the Acropolis hill. The most direct way would be to take the road up past the
entrance to the Acropolis and follow it along back down the opposite side.
You will then come to a busy road called Dionysiou Areopagitou. On the
opposite side of this you will see a kiosk near which the paved path starts
which leads up Filopappou Hill. All in all there's quite a bit of climbing
involved so I would allow about an hour from the Plaka to get to the top.

Do bear in mind though that Athens can get extremely hot in the summer.
Temperatures of 40 degrees C are not unknown and it doesn't seem to get much
cooler at night. With these temperatures any activity becomes difficult, let
alone climbing hills! I've not actually done it myself mainly for this
reason.

Mike, I think what you're describing as the most direct way involves a
shortcut from the Plaka through the Ancient Agora. This is fine, but
probably entails paying an entrance fee to cross the Agora (the
combination ticket for the Acropolis and the Agora, I think, costs
about 12.50 euro -- it may have gone up since 2006).

Keep in mind that Dionysiou Areopagitou St. (and its continuation,
Apostolou Pavlou) have been closed to traffic (pedestrianized). So,
following this route, there's no vehicular traffic to contend with
between the Plaka and Philopappou. The heat, of course, is quite a
different story. I would drink plenty of water on this climb.

Old April 15th, 2007, 09:43 PM posted to alt.travel.greece,rec.travel.europe
Alexander Arnakis

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:23:54 GMT, "cannga" wrote:

For the photographers he From the Filopappou Hill, this particular shot
was taken perhaps at 70mm focal length?

That's about right if using a digital camera with a 1.5 crop factor.
If it's a 35mm film camera, probably something on the order of a 105mm
lens. With a "normal" perspective, Mt. Lycabettus wouldn't appear to
be that close.

This is probably a time exposure, and probably the picture was
Photoshopped. (Possibly the full moon was added later?)

Old April 15th, 2007, 11:01 PM posted to alt.travel.greece,rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 21:35:56 +0100, Alexander Arnakis wrote
(in article ):

[...]

No, what I meant was if you walk up from the Plaka to the Acropolis entrance,
the road (as far as I remember) continues on down to the other side of the
Acropolis hill. Perhaps it has been altered now. It is a few years since I
was there.