Canadian Debit Cards in USA ???

Old May 18th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Claude Marcil

Default Canadian Debit Cards in USA ???

Hi,
A few days ago, I posted a question concerning the use of a debit card to
get "cashback" when doing purchases at retail stores during our next trip.
Our objective was to get cash money while avoiding the high ATM banking
charges.

I received a bunch of informations which I thank you guys.

The bad news came yesterday: My bank notified me that my Canadian Debit
Card ( and ALL other Canadian Banks Debit Cards for that matter ) can only
be used for withdrawal from ATM in USA.

It cannot be used for purchases in USA because of the
non-internationalization of the Interact network used by the CDN banks.

That fact could help some of my fellow Canadians that are expecting to
use their debit card in any future trip in USA. At least, check with your
bank to see the specifics of your card.

Both my bank and another one I've checked with, the charges for withdrawal
at US ATM are 3.00 $ CDN. To this must be added the percentage they'll take
for the exchange US-CDN $, To this, we must add the cost of using a US bank
ATM that could range from 1-3 $ US.

All in all, it's getting to be a pretty expensive proposition.

We finally decided to get US travelers checks.

To me, it's another example that banks, like the petroleum companies, have
understood that they can charge us just about anything; we, in effect, are
their prisonners.

Sad !

Years ago, I, naivly, beleive Bill Gates ( Microsoft founder ) when he
said that a digital world, a computerized world, would make our lives so
much better, easier and cheaper.

Welcome to the new technological world, Claude !!

NOTE: Claude, that's me

Old May 18th, 2004, 04:26 PM
RVer

"Claude Marcil" wrote in message
. ..
It cannot be used for purchases in USA because of the
non-internationalization of the Interact network used by the CDN banks.

To me, it's another example that banks, like the petroleum companies,

have
understood that they can charge us just about anything; we, in effect, are
their prisonners.

Well, since you're not obligated to participate in any of their "services,"
you have the option (albeit a tough one) to do something else.
Years ago, I, naivly, beleive Bill Gates ( Microsoft founder ) when he
said that a digital world, a computerized world, would make our lives so
much better, easier and cheaper.

Lemme see if I understand what you just said. Your "bank" (or insert
service provider of your choice) decides to either exorbitantly charge you
for one of their services, or not participate in mechanisms to ease your
access to same--and you have the clairity of vision to place that burden at
the feet of Bill Gates?

Welcome to the new technological world, Claude !!

NOTE: Claude, that's me

Methinks that the concepts behind that technology seem to have missed you,
my Canadian friend...(:-)!

Dusty
San Jose, Ca.
--
RemoveHOUSEtoreply

Old May 18th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Don Dickson

In article ,
"Claude Marcil" wrote:

Hi,
A few days ago, I posted a question concerning the use of a debit card to
get "cashback" when doing purchases at retail stores during our next trip.
Our objective was to get cash money while avoiding the high ATM banking
charges.

Both my bank and another one I've checked with, the charges for withdrawal
at US ATM are 3.00 $ CDN. To this must be added the percentage they'll take
for the exchange US-CDN $, To this, we must add the cost of using a US bank
ATM that could range from 1-3 $ US.

That depends on what kind of a monthly service plan you have on your bank
account and if it's tied in to your use of debit/credit cards. For example I
have a Royal Bank Gold card and there are no service charges (other than cost of
exchange) by either the US bank or the Royal.

--
Don Dickson

Old May 18th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Bob Hatch

"Claude Marcil" wrote in message

We finally decided to get US travelers checks.

Why? Open a Pay Pal account and get one of the debit cards. Not a big issue
or problem. Don't want to open a Pay Pal acct. Open a savings account in the
US, deposit the funds and get a debit card.

To me, it's another example that banks, like the petroleum
companies, have understood that they can charge us just about
anything; we, in effect, are their prisonners.

I just showed you that the above statement is not true if you're willing to
think beyond the end of your nose.

Sad !

Agreed

Years ago, I, naivly, beleive Bill Gates ( Microsoft founder )
when he said that a digital world, a computerized world, would make
our lives so much better, easier and cheaper.

How is it that Bill Gates (we all know what he does for a living) has
anything to do with the policies of your bank? What did he have to do with
the price charged by your bank?

Welcome to the new technological world, Claude !!

Well thank you. When I left my house last winter for AZ I had already opened
a Pay Pal acct and had money deposited in same. I had the debit card with me
and it was accepted everywhere I used it as a debit or credit card. There
were no usage fees involved.

--
"Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke

Old May 18th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Mike F

Guys, debit cards are a financial disaster waiting to happen if they fall
into the wrong hands. Could someone tell me why anyone would want one? We
refuse our banks' debit cards and make them issue credit cards so thieves
can't touch us.

What am I missing?

Mike F

Old May 18th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Ron

"Mike F" wrote in message
Guys, debit cards are a financial disaster waiting to happen if they fall
into the wrong hands. Could someone tell me why anyone would want one? We
refuse our banks' debit cards and make them issue credit cards so thieves
can't touch us.

What am I missing?

Mike F

Nothing as far as I can see. Using a debit card as far as I am concerned is
just asking for trouble. It is worse than cash in that if it falls into the
wrong hands your bank account could be wiped out.
--
Ron P

Sometimes you're the windshield
sometimes you're the bug

Old May 18th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Bob Hatch

"Mike F" wrote in message

Guys, debit cards are a financial disaster waiting to happen if they
fall into the wrong hands. Could someone tell me why anyone would
want one? We refuse our banks' debit cards and make them issue credit
cards so thieves can't touch us.

What am I missing?

Mike F

In some cases it's the easy of purchase and use. My debit card is only for
my Pay Pal acct. and I keep limited funds in the account. Also I would
notice within a few minutes if the card were missing.

Old May 18th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Mike F

PayPal is about the last mechant I'd want having their hands on my debit
card #, considering their reputation for refusing to address account
problems. I have a credit card used ONLY online, so if it's compromised I
can just cancel the card and not care and if I have to dispute charges on
it, it doesn't hold up my "real" life. As for their buddy eBay, they don't
even know my real name or address. I make up names and adresses for online
registrations, and use a throwaway e-mail address which works but wouldn't
be missed if I had to cancel it.

Mike F

Old May 19th, 2004, 01:47 AM
Smiley

You calculate well figure out how much you will spend in a day or in
batches like $100
withdraw it spend the decide next withdraw amount

OR take cash from Canada and use atm only for emergency purchases or for
special deal

Claude Marcil wrote:

[...]

Please note: To avoid spam, all email to my Hotmail address (above) is automatically trashed. If you wish to send me an email, kindly say so in a post, before attempting to send the mail. I will notify you by a private email to which we can respond to.

Old May 19th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Mike O'sullivan

"Mike F" wrote in message

I have a credit card used ONLY online, so if it's compromised I
can just cancel the card and not care and if I have to dispute charges on
it, it doesn't hold up my "real" life.

Surely though, if your credit card was compromised, the first you would know
about it would be when an unauthorised item appeared on your statement.
Merely cancelling the card would not cancel out your liability for the debt?
You'd still have to dispute the debt wouldn't you?