Taste of Alaska

Old October 5th, 2004, 02:28 AM
SNUMBER6

Default Taste of Alaska

Review of the 6 day NCL Spirit Cruise Vancouver to San Francisco via Juneau,
Ketchikan and (Eureka - April Fool) ...
First some gripes ...
This cruise changed date and ports 8 weeks or so before the cruise ... They had
Ketchikan on Monday the 27th and Juneau on the 28th originally ... and Eureka
on the 30th ... They changed it then to reverse the Ketchikan and Juneau stops
.... but not generally informing some who should know of the change ... ( viz.
the independent tour operators ) ... Both tours we booked were subject to
confusion and only straightened outbarely 2 week before the cruise ...
Then ... after at sea and looking at the suggested attire for the nights ... I
accidentally saw that Eureka was dropped ... and when I questioned a NCL rep
.... I got the "if you read your contract you will find ..." tripe ... and no
explanation whatsoever ... I was perturbed ... as the excursion I planned
through the Avenue of the Giants was to be a highlight ... no one else I spoke
to realized that the port was being skipped either ... At the Latitudes
cocktail party ... We were informed that "the ship was 31? meters too long" ...
the question was asked 4 times basically for effect expressing the inadequacy
of that explanation ... if true ... kinda stupid of somebody ... if untrue ...
I hate being lied to ...

Now for the good points ...
The ship is gorgeous ...nicely decorated ... clean and shiny ... getting around
otoh was a real chore ... the second worst layout save for the Destiny ...the
necessity of color coded stair wells is a hint at this ... So they do seem to
realize it and have signs to help people and constantly remind you about the
color coding ...
Accomodations were on the top side of NCL spartan ... Small rooms ... but
plenty of closet space ... unfortunately, suitcases did not fit under the bed
.... and the beds were quite "U" shaped ... and when moved together had a big
bump in the middle ... The shower was terrific ...large ... water as hot as you
wished and streaming strongly ... with a sliding glass door ...
Not many good places to relax ... but the Deck 12 Galaxy of the Stars was more
than anyone could want ... of course you'd have to listen to Bingo numbers
being called ... but the view and the comfort was super ...

Service was excellent throughout ... when NCL first went free style ... service
seemed erratic ... now there seems to be a lot of teamwork ... and weak links
are covered for ... I saw a marked improvement ...
Food was also very good ... but with vegetarian selections ... cooking light
selections ... and fish ... I was left with few choices ... but what was in the
main dining was the same quality as the extra fee restaurants ... In fact the
lobster tails on lobster night in the main dining were even tastier than than
in the Bistro ...and the escargot was the same ...
Buffet choices were also different from the dining room choices ... so though
choices were sparse in the dining room ... enough good varied choices could be
found at the buffet ...
I made a joke about packing layers for Alaska by saying they have eggs so you
don't have to pack your own chickens ... I was wrong ...cartoned egg product
for omelets at the buffet ... yecch .... the dining room did get you real eggs
(poached or fried ... I wouldn't trust the scrambled ... ) ... Plenty of good
fresh fruit though at the buffet ... but bangers only in the dining room ...
and Strawberries were found only in my wifes Chocolate Fruit Fondue dessert at
Bistro ... which was so good she still can taste it ...
Shore excursions ...
We booked Captain Larry at Orca Tours for whale watching in Juneau ... Good
choice ... we got orcas 20 yards off the ship ... and he could sense where they
were going to appear next ... and just stopped and waited for them ...(not
allowed to chase and follow someone told me ...)
We still had enough time and took the $5 ride to Mendanhall Glacier ... Just as
good to go by yourself ... the Park Rangers are more than glad to answer
proudly and enthusiastically any questions ... and the shuttle drivers were
just as if not more entertaining than the tour drivers ... from comments we
heard ...
Ketchikan ... tour and trip to Saxman ... We booked Lois Munch of Classic Tours
in her red '55 Chevy ... 3 people only ... and the personalized touch was
special ... A native wrote a special song just for Lois ... the totem pole
craftsman was a personal friend ( his daughter was wearing a special jacket
Lois had given her ...) ...and we had a conversation ... not a lecture .... so
much better than being a part of a mob ... I highly recommend her ...
Entertainment was good ... the song and dance group was a step above most and a
comic David Naster who was good ... and gave a talk on comedy and why we have
to laugh ... his hawking of his CD and books was crass in my opinion ... though
he had long lines looking to buy them ...
Other acts and events were typical cruise ship ...

On/off ... before/after

Embarkation was very smooth ... We first dropped off luggage ... no wait ...
then returned in a taxi after dropping off the rental car ... again no wait ...
staff helpful in getting us settled ...
Debarkation was a little slower ... and we missed our time as unknown to us
....the loudspeaker did not carry into the Galaxy Lounge ... you can stay on
without a problem ...
The line for a taxi was huge ... so with about seven FLAT block to walk we
lugged our luggage to the Argonaut ... a nautically inspired 4 1/2 star hotel
.... perfect for a stay after the cruise ... I highly recommend it ... close to
the cable car turn around ... buses and Fisherman's wharf and the Alcatraz
ferry with good views of the Golden Gate and Bay Bridges ... and 4 stars all
the way with the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on ... San Francisco is
a great city to visit and the 3 days/2nights was not enough ...

In Vancouver we toured Stanley Park and visited the aquarium ... a beautiful
park and the up close and personal looks at Belugas alone made the aquarium
worthwhile ...
btw ... both at the aquarium ... and the Alcatraz ferry ... pictures like a
cruise embarkation picture were taken ...

Still even with the extras ... cruise withdrawal is hitting hard ...
A great time all around ...

Be seeing you
In the Village
Number 6

Old October 5th, 2004, 08:01 AM
StephenM

"SNUMBER6" wrote in message
Review of the 6 day NCL Spirit Cruise Vancouver to San Francisco via

Juneau,
I made a joke about packing layers for Alaska by saying they have eggs so

you
don't have to pack your own chickens ... I was wrong ...cartoned egg

product
for omelets at the buffet ... yecch .... the dining room did get you real

eggs
(poached or fried ... I wouldn't trust the scrambled ... ) ...

For anyone else taking the NCL Spirit - real eggs served every morning at
the omelete station just outside the buffet to the rear of the ship. Two
eggs over-easy cooked to order every morning of the cruise - the buffet
scrambeld eggs never looked very good.

Old October 6th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Ray Goldenberg

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:56:10 -0800,
(Dennis P. Harris) wrote:

all good reasons for never doing business with them.

Hi Everyone,

If you want to buy a hat in Alaska, just ask old Dennis where he gets
his. ;+)
http://tinyurl.com/uaww

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old October 6th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Reef Fish

(Dennis P. Harris) wrote:

all good reasons for never doing business with them.

Hi Everyone,

If you want to buy a hat in Alaska, just ask old Dennis where he gets
his. ;+)
http://tinyurl.com/uaww

Best regards,
Ray

DOG HOUSE TRAVEL

Hey Ray,

At first I thought your post was a case of the Pot calling the
Kettle black, but I wuz wrong!

Dennis was probably telling everyone the same thing about YOU.
Hahahahahaha.

-- Bob.