'More innocent people will be shot dead' says police chief !

Old July 24th, 2005, 02:49 PM
none

Default 'More innocent people will be shot dead' says police chief !

'More could be shot' - Met chief

Scotland Yard Commissioner Sir Ian Blair has admitted more people could
be shot after his officers gunned down an innocent man in their hunt
for would-be suicide bombers.

He apologised to the family of Brazilian electrician Jean Charles de
Menezes, 27, but said there would be no change to the police
shoot-to-kill policy.

Mr de Menezes was executed by undercover armed detectives who shot him
in the head at point blank range on Friday morning as he tried to board
a Tube train at Stockwell, south London.

His furious family branded the police "stupid and incompetent" and the
Brazilian Government said the British had made a "lamentable mistake".

Mr de Menezes had left a small block of flats in Tulse Hill, south
London, which was under surveillance because of a suspected link to the
attempted bomb attacks on three Tube trains and a number 26 bus last
Thursday.

He caught a bus the few miles to Stockwell Tube where he was challenged
by officers but, according to witnesses, he bolted down an escalator.
His bulky clothing added to suspicions that he might be a suicide
bomber and police followed him on to a train and shot him dead.

Alex Pereira, 28, a cousin of Mr de Menezes, who was called "Jim" by
his English friends, said he had been working legally in Britain for
three years and was thought to have been on his way to repair an alarm
in Willesden Green when he was shot. He was from Sao Paolo and his
family, including his elder brother and his two retired parents, still
live in Brazil.

The flat he left on the morning he was shot was shared with his two
cousins Vivian and Patricia.

Sir Ian apologised to the family but defended the actions of his
officers, saying: "This is a tragedy. The Metropolitan Police accepts
full responsibility for this. To the family I can only express my deep
regrets."

He said the "shoot-to-kill in order to protect" policy for dealing with
suspected suicide bombers would continue, saying: "We have to take this
tragedy, deeply regret it and move on to the main investigation which
is proceeding at an extraordinary pace."

****************************
so now you know -the met police chief says its likely more innocent
passengers will be shot in the head whilst riding the tube !!

Old July 24th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Keith W

"none" wrote in message
oups.com...
'More could be shot' - Met chief

so now you know -the met police chief says its likely more innocent
passengers will be shot in the head whilst riding the tube !!

Only if they refuse to stop when ordered by armed police.

Think of it as evolution in action.

Keith

Old July 24th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Mxsmanic

Keith W writes:

Only if they refuse to stop when ordered by armed police.

That is hardly an offense worthy of death.
Old July 24th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Timothy Kroesen

Not "worthy" as you say in your highly stilted statement; rather just a
possibility when defying the orders of armed police...

The article itself is a highly stilted opinion hardly worthy of any
title of 'objective journalism' when it uses phrases like:

"Mr de Menezes was *executed* (fired upon and killed) by undercover
armed detectives who shot him
*in the head at point blank range* ( oh- five contact wound shots
directly in the head or was he hit elsewhere too...) on Friday morning
as he tried to board
a Tube train at Stockwell, south London. (while defying police orders
to halt)"

An unfortunate incident to be sure but to call it an "execution" is
nothing but yellow journalism in fact.

Tim K

Old July 24th, 2005, 06:03 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Earl Evleth wrote:

[]
Britain once had over 200 crimes punishable by the death penalty.
Perhaps a little retrogression has occurred.

You're being an utter moron on this Earl, and I honestly don't know why.
This is a serious issue, and your stupid jibes are putting you in really
bad company, regardless what side they might be on.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old July 24th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Earl Evleth

On 24/07/05 19:03, in article
1h07u31.1rh9wpn6nb0svN%this_address_is_for_spam@ya hoo.com, "chancellor of
the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco"
wrote:

Britain once had over 200 crimes punishable by the death penalty.
Perhaps a little retrogression has occurred.

You're being an utter moron on this Earl, and I honestly don't know why.
This is a serious issue, and your stupid jibes are putting you in really
bad company, regardless what side they might be on.

I am merely commenting on the dangers of retrogressing. If British
police are going to become like American police, why not just make
a bid to join. I am sure the State of Wales, the State of England
and the State of Scotland would be welcome.

My perception is sharper than a moron, and the fact that it hurts
brought out your comment. There was a larger danger in joining
up with Bush. It started with Thatcher and is ironically that
Blair is the next in line to continue the process.

Old July 24th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Dave Smith

Earl Evleth wrote:

You're being an utter moron on this Earl, and I honestly don't know why.
This is a serious issue, and your stupid jibes are putting you in really
bad company, regardless what side they might be on.

I am merely commenting on the dangers of retrogressing. If British
police are going to become like American police, why not just make
a bid to join. I am sure the State of Wales, the State of England
and the State of Scotland would be welcome.

My perception is sharper than a moron, and the fact that it hurts
brought out your comment. There was a larger danger in joining
up with Bush. It started with Thatcher and is ironically that
Blair is the next in line to continue the process.

I have difficulty attributing the problem to Britain becoming more like the
US. It is unfortunate that a desperate situation has led to desperate
measures. Perhaps it would be more prudent for people in public places and
using public transit systems to use their brains, accept that there is
heightened security, accept that the police will shoot to kill to deal with
suspected bombers and act accordingly. That young fellow would be alive today
if he had stopped when ordered.

Old July 24th, 2005, 07:24 PM

wrote:

Britain once had over 200 crimes punishable by the death penalty.
Perhaps a little retrogression has occurred.

You're being an utter moron on this Earl, and I honestly don't know why.
This is a serious issue, and your stupid jibes are putting you in really
bad company, regardless what side they might be on.

I am merely commenting on the dangers of retrogressing.

No- you're making flippant remarks.

If British
police are going to become like American police, why not just make
a bid to join.

And cheap shots.

I am sure the State of Wales, the State of England
and the State of Scotland would be welcome.

My perception is sharper than a moron, and the fact that it hurts
brought out your comment.

No, the reason it 'hurts' is that you're just making cheap shots. If you
want to talk about police actions, and the people (particularly
minorities) who suffer at the hands of police, you'll find that France
and the UK have their own share of problems.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net