What's the best journey you've taken so far within Africa ?

Old October 11th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Sean

Default What's the best journey you've taken so far within Africa ?

What's been so far, the best journey that you've taken in or within
Africa (by either road, rail, plane, boat, bus, or a combo of any of
these forms of transport) and please elaborate on what caused it to be
so good and memorable for you ?

Old October 14th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Corné

"Sean" schreef in bericht
oups.com...
What's been so far, the best journey that you've taken in or within
Africa (by either road, rail, plane, boat, bus, or a combo of any of
these forms of transport) and please elaborate on what caused it to be
so good and memorable for you ?

Botswana 2002 with Bushways (www.bushways.com)

We saw brown hyeana, leopard stalking impala's, cheetah's, elephants on 2
legs eating from trees, 23 lions in Savuti (the elephant killers), and many
more.

Also Jo'burg-Nairobi in 2000 with Drifters was a great trip.

Bushregards,
Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old October 14th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Sabine

Default Accessible Safari in South Africa

I am 41, have Cerebral Palsy and am an out-going person and go anywhere in
my wheelchair. I am unable to talk so communication takes time to get used
to.
I am interested in animals and anything to do with nature, so when I saw
the epic-enabled advert I thought wow yes please, quite expecting to be
told I am too disabled.
But I was accepted on Alfie's tour in August 2005 and had an absolutely
brilliant time. I have to have a special loo seat when I travel and this
means I have extra luggage. This was not a problem. I took my carer,
Caroline, with me on safari to the Kruger Park.
We saw all of the animals you can imagine, including monkeys, lions,
leopards, hippos, elephants and giraffes!!
We even saw two giraffes in courtship!! They were about 50 metres away
from our safari truck, Impy! We couldn't believe our luck, it was awesome
to see them flirting with each other!! I think I will remember that
forever!!
The food was lovely as well!!
The only problem I had was when we got to The Bush Camp and had to get out
of my wheelchair to go on a "normal" safari truck. I am very floppy and
despite being supported by Caroline and Denise on the seat, I wasn't very
comfortable so I had to miss some of the trips round the reserve. Although
I did meet Simba the six month old lion cub!! He was really inquisitive of
our wheelchairs and very playful toward the rangers and his play mate, a
six month old Labrador!!
Not being able to sit on the normal safari truck didn't spoil my holiday
because I had done everything else and met lots of lovely people!!!

Thank you Alfie and JB

Nicki Conway, St Albans England.

Nicki was on Epic Enabled’s 8-Day Kruger National Park safari on the 11
August 2005. If you would like to find out more from her please contact us
on: or visit our website www.epic-enabled.com

Old October 19th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Malawi. Hitching from Cape Mclear to Nkata Bay.

First ride was was on the back of a pickup hauling sacks of dried fish.
3 hours down bad dirt roads in the African sun, with a dozen of us
sitting on these bags of fish. Made my own gravy! Follow that with
several more hours on local trucks and buses, ending when the last bus
stopped for the night at this tiny village near a sugar plantation.
$0.70 for a room with no door, and I hit the town to go hang with the
locals, none of whom were used to Mzungu since the tourist buses all
take the main road. (Evidently, there's a main road in this country.
Who knew?)

http://www.blogabond.com/maps/TripView.aspx?tripID=6

Next morning, I found the cane truck that looked like it was going the
farthest and hopped aboard. After a few more rides on ever sketchier &
more overcrowded trucks, we finally hit the main road & made it to
Nkata bay.

Malawi is cool. go.

Jason Kester
---
Get your own Travel Blog, with itinerary maps and photos!
http://www.blogabond.com/

Jason Kester
---