Cape Town: Safe for lone female travellers?

Old November 4th, 2005, 12:14 AM
pns

Default Cape Town: Safe for lone female travellers?

My 18-year old daughter has announced that she wants to take a 10-day
holiday in Cape Town.
Apart from being jealous, I'm also somewhat concerned about the safety
aspects.
She intends to go alone, and doesn't have a driving licence yet. She's
also not an experienced traveller by any means, and will be on a limited
budget.

Apart from obvious advice like not being alone at night, are there any
particular things to avoid?
Would she be better going somewhere else?

Also I don't think she realises just how big SA is ... would there be
much within the environs of Cape Town to keep her amused for 10 days, or
reasonably-priced tours around the area?

Sorry, I know these questions are very vague, but any pointers welcome,
especially about the safety aspects.

From an anxious Dad ......

Old November 4th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Corné

"pns" schreef in bericht ...
My 18-year old daughter has announced that she wants to take a 10-day
holiday in Cape Town.
Apart from being jealous, I'm also somewhat concerned about the safety
aspects.
She intends to go alone, and doesn't have a driving licence yet. She's
also not an experienced traveller by any means, and will be on a limited
budget.

Apart from obvious advice like not being alone at night, are there any
particular things to avoid?
Would she be better going somewhere else?

Also I don't think she realises just how big SA is ... would there be
much within the environs of Cape Town to keep her amused for 10 days, or
reasonably-priced tours around the area?

Sorry, I know these questions are very vague, but any pointers welcome,
especially about the safety aspects.

From an anxious Dad ......

To make a long story short: Cape Town is statistically the most violent city
in Africa (it was Jo'burg). However most crime is find in the townships and
the bad neighbourhoods. During the day it is still ok to walk downtown Cape
Town. The Albert Waterfront is a safe area, as also the B&B's and Gueshouses
in that area.

10 days is long, why not 4 days in and around Cape Town, and 6 days
somewhere else in the area? Cities are everywhere in the world.

Bushregards,
Corné.

Old November 5th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Catherine Milton

A person could certainly spend 10 days in Cape Town. And there are cheap
ways to do things. If she's staying in one of the backpackers (please let
me know which one) then she will meet other people her own age, and probably
join them in their activities. The cheapest tours she can join are those
that incorporate some sort of activity, such as Baz Bus Cape Point tour,
where they do cycling part of the way, or the Day Trippers, and there are a
couple of others.

As for transport - there are the Rikkis taxis, which operate as a
combination between the bus service and the taxi service, but only run
between 7am and 7 pm weekdays, and mornings, on Sundays. They may have
extended their hours. The things that she might like to see that are not on
the USUAL tourist route she could always get together with others to see -
the Chris Barnard heart surgery museum, the rugby museum, etc. She could
spend a whole day at Kirstenbosch Gardens, instead of the usual 30 minutes
allocated by the scheduled tours, and the city itself deserves a whole day,
just not on a Sunday.

As with all cities in the world, one needs to be careful. Tourists look
like tourists, and they are the ones targeted if they wander outisde the
'safe' areas, and the safe areas are those where there are lots of people.
The Waterfront has plenty of security, but one can only spend so much time
there, especially if one is on a low budget. The Imax theatre is there,
too. Other theatres and cinemas are within a short taxi ride from the city
centre, so there will be things to do in the evenings. It's best that she
gets a metered taxi, for safety reasons, and she can negotiate a rate
beforehand, so she doesn't get ripped off.

She needs to realise that the most unsafe people in the city are the
children - they look the cutest and the safest, but they are the most
unpredictable, and if you pay attantion to one, you will soon find yourself
surrounded!! They then start grabbing at itmes in your bag, on your person,
and you can only defend yourself against one at a time.

I started my tour guiding career in Cape Town, and while I now guide
nationally and have since then moved on to Johannesburg, and now live in the
Free State, you are welcome to email me through my website if you'd like
more information.

Catherine
==Not nuts, just a little eccentric==
www.africanbush.co.za
African Bush Tours and Safaris
P O Box 232, Rouxville, 9958, South Africa
Tel (+27) 051 663-0170 or Mobile (+27) 082 490-5485

"pns" wrote in message ...
My 18-year old daughter has announced that she wants to take a 10-day
holiday in Cape Town.
Apart from being jealous, I'm also somewhat concerned about the safety
aspects.
She intends to go alone, and doesn't have a driving licence yet. She's
also not an experienced traveller by any means, and will be on a limited
budget.

Apart from obvious advice like not being alone at night, are there any
particular things to avoid?
Would she be better going somewhere else?

Also I don't think she realises just how big SA is ... would there be
much within the environs of Cape Town to keep her amused for 10 days, or
reasonably-priced tours around the area?

Sorry, I know these questions are very vague, but any pointers welcome,
especially about the safety aspects.

From an anxious Dad ......

Old November 5th, 2005, 04:27 PM
JohnM

In article , pns writes
My 18-year old daughter has announced that she wants to take a 10-day
holiday in Cape Town.
Apart from being jealous, I'm also somewhat concerned about the safety
aspects.
She intends to go alone, and doesn't have a driving licence yet. She's
also not an experienced traveller by any means, and will be on a limited
budget.

She should be safe as long as she is sensible and she sticks to
backpackers' hostels. She will soon find company there. But she should
also consider travelling around a bit and not just stay in Cape Town -
at least visit Stellenbosch and see a bit of the Garden Route.

--
JohnM
Author of Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul &
Old November 7th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Marc Lurie

I have to agree with Catherine Milton's post.

She'll have a great time in Cape Town. Personally, I wouldn't spend 10
whole days in Cape Town, but there's plenty do do around Cape Town for
10 days.

If she's flying into Johannesburg, then I definitely reccommend that
she spends at least one day in Johannesburg before going to Cape Town,
or before she flys out.

Marc.
On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 00:14:38 +0000, pns wrote:

My 18-year old daughter has announced that she wants to take a 10-day
holiday in Cape Town.
Apart from being jealous, I'm also somewhat concerned about the safety
aspects.
She intends to go alone, and doesn't have a driving licence yet. She's
also not an experienced traveller by any means, and will be on a limited
budget.

Apart from obvious advice like not being alone at night, are there any
particular things to avoid?
Would she be better going somewhere else?

Also I don't think she realises just how big SA is ... would there be
much within the environs of Cape Town to keep her amused for 10 days, or
reasonably-priced tours around the area?

Sorry, I know these questions are very vague, but any pointers welcome,
especially about the safety aspects.

From an anxious Dad ......