Getting a Chinese visa in Vladivostok, Russia, as a US citizen

Old October 26th, 2007, 10:49 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Adrienne

Default Getting a Chinese visa in Vladivostok, Russia, as a US citizen

I'm a US citizen, and I'd like to get a Chinese tourist visa in
Vladivostok, Russia (I'm living in Russia until June 2008). I'd like
to go to China (Beijing, and maybe Shanghai and Nanjing) at the end of
December/beginning of January. I've been reading various websites and
websites of consulates, but it's kind of confusing. Does anyone have
a definite answer?

As far as I can tell, I need my passport, money, application form
(this can be filled out at the consulate), 1 color photograph, and an
invitation from a Chinese tour agency authorized by the Chinese
government.

Can anyone recommend a Chinese agency? I don't need to book a tour,
as I'll be meeting friends there. How much should this cost
approximately? Will tour agencies give me a letter, even though I
won't be using any of their other services?

Do I also need tickets showing when I'm leaving China?

How long does it take to get a visa? What's the shortest amount of
time I can do it in?

Thanks for your help!

Old October 26th, 2007, 02:06 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Spehro Pefhany

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:49:00 -0000, the renowned Adrienne
wrote:

[...]

Policy seems to vary somewhat from place to place, as well as by
nationality of the visitor. Usually, IME, you don't actually need an
invitation for a typical tourist visit, in fact IIRC the most recent
applications for tourist visas don't have a blank for it any more.

Suggest you contact the Chinese consulate in Vladivostok, which opened
2-3 years ago. I have this address from the net:

http://vladivostoktimes.com/catalog/...l=&order=&dir=

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article . com,
Adrienne says...
I'm a US citizen, and I'd like to get a Chinese tourist visa in
Vladivostok, Russia (I'm living in Russia until June 2008). I'd like
to go to China (Beijing, and maybe Shanghai and Nanjing) at the end of
December/beginning of January. I've been reading various websites and
websites of consulates, but it's kind of confusing. Does anyone have
a definite answer?

As far as I can tell, I need my passport, money, application form
(this can be filled out at the consulate), 1 color photograph, and an
invitation from a Chinese tour agency authorized by the Chinese
government.

I've never needed an invitation to get a visa for China. Individual
travel is allowed in China.

Can anyone recommend a Chinese agency? I don't need to book a tour,
as I'll be meeting friends there. How much should this cost
approximately? Will tour agencies give me a letter, even though I
won't be using any of their other services?

As I wrote you are allowed to travel independently in China.

Do I also need tickets showing when I'm leaving China?

I never had to show mine.

How long does it take to get a visa? What's the shortest amount of
time I can do it in?

Here in Munich you can get it in three days at the Consulate. You must
be either a German citizen or a foreigner residing in Germany.
--

Alfred Molon