Xi'an to Jiuzhaigou

Old January 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Default Xi'an to Jiuzhaigou

I am led to believe that one can travel from Xi'an direct to Jiuzhaigou
(Sichuan). I've searched various web sites to no avail, trying to find a
flight, carrier, even on different days of the week. Are schedules
available as far out as mid-June? I see plenty of trips between Chengdu
and Jiuzhaigou on Air China but none from Xi'an. Thanks.

rg

Old January 21st, 2008, 12:23 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Spehro Pefhany

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 22:12:25 GMT, the renowned "Sharkbait"
wrote:

I am led to believe that one can travel from Xi'an direct to Jiuzhaigou
(Sichuan). I've searched various web sites to no avail, trying to find a
flight, carrier, even on different days of the week. Are schedules
available as far out as mid-June? I see plenty of trips between Chengdu
and Jiuzhaigou on Air China but none from Xi'an. Thanks.

rg

The carrier for this route would be Sichuan Airlines, but I don't see
any scheduled flights at present.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:45 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Peter Neville-Hadley

Sharkbait wrote:

I am led to believe that one can travel from Xi'an direct to Jiuzhaigou
(Sichuan). I've searched various web sites to no avail, trying to find a
flight, carrier, even on different days of the week. Are schedules
available as far out as mid-June? I see plenty of trips between Chengdu
and Jiuzhaigou on Air China but none from Xi'an. Thanks.

rg

What many who post here seem to be unable to get hold of is that a great
deal of Chinese domestic flying does not show up on international air
ticketing systems and so not on the websites that act as portals to
those or use them as databases. Having said that it's quite possible
that there are no winter flights because Jiuzhaigou is essentially a
resort destination. The China Eastern flight only runs May to October
according to my timetable, but it's not so clear on whether one of the
China Sichuan flights is year-round. However with a quick look at the
China Sichuan domestic site I couldn't find flights. Try for yourself:

http://www.scal.com.cn

Summer schedule should be something like:

China Eastern at 0800
China Sichuan at 2015 and 2145

all daily, starting perhaps from May

Peter N-H
http://www.datasinica.com
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:36 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Peter N-H wrote,

What many who post here seem to be unable to get hold of is that a great
deal of Chinese domestic flying does not show up on international air
ticketing systems and so not on the websites that act as portals to
those or use them as databases. Having said that it's quite possible
that there are no winter flights because Jiuzhaigou is essentially a
resort destination. The China Eastern flight only runs May to October
according to my timetable, but it's not so clear on whether one of the
China Sichuan flights is year-round. However with a quick look at the
China Sichuan domestic site I couldn't find flights. Try for yourself:

Indeed, I did a bit googling before posing my question, which included a
search of the Sichuan Airline web site. According to information I
researched, no less than five airlines fly to Jiuzhaigou, including:

Air China (Chengdu, Chongqing)
China Eastern Airlines (Chengdu, Kunming)
China Southern Airlines (Chengdu)
Hainan Airlines (Chengdu)
Sichuan Airlines (Chengdu, Chongqing, Xi'an)

It appears from the above that only Sichuan Airlines flies to Jiuzhaigou
direct from Xi'an, perhaps beginning in May and running into the October
time period. I am quite aware of the seasonality of domestic flight in
China. It would be nice to know when to start looking for tickets in
consideration of the Olympics. Downloading timetables is still a challenge
at some of these sites. I for one do not plan on being in China after
July.

rg

Old January 21st, 2008, 06:31 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Peter Neville-Hadley

Sharkbait wrote:

According to information I
researched, no less than five airlines fly to Jiuzhaigou, including:

Air China (Chengdu, Chongqing)
China Eastern Airlines (Chengdu, Kunming)
China Southern Airlines (Chengdu)
Hainan Airlines (Chengdu)
Sichuan Airlines (Chengdu, Chongqing, Xi'an)

This tallies with the printed timetable I'm holding in my hand.

It appears from the above that only Sichuan Airlines flies to Jiuzhaigou
direct from Xi'an, perhaps beginning in May and running into the October
time period.

According to the printed timetable (March to October 2007) the China
Eastern flight is also direct, and both that and one of the Sichuan
Airlines flights is seasonal, while the other is year-round.

If you're willing to go via Chengdu, the timetable shows 22 flights a
day only three of which are shown as seasonal.

It would be nice to know when to start looking for tickets in
consideration of the Olympics.

It's hard to imagine much effect on the Xi'an to Jiuzhai route, and
certainly none as early as July.

I for one do not plan on being in China after
July.

Amen to that.

Peter N-H
http://www.datasinica.com
Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:07 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

You may want to look at elong.com.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:29 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

PeterL wrote:

You may want to look at elong.com.

I checked 21 days of the last full week in January, April, and June and got
a "System Error" message for each query. I believe it must be too early to
get a fare.

Air China fares are fairly easy to find and available but not for this route
if they indeed fly XIY JZH.

Amadeus.net generally shows schedules other search engines will not show but
none there either. The same goes for the airline web sites, including Air
China. Guess we'll wait a bit.

rg