Long Layover in Incheon, Korea

Old July 7th, 2008, 10:43 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Default Long Layover in Incheon, Korea

Our itinerary takes us through Incheon for a long (8-hour) layover. We have
plenty of time for a great lunch either at or outside the airport (if that
is practical). Any recommendations for great local or western food. We are
particularly fond of sushi. Thanks in advance.

rg

Old July 7th, 2008, 10:53 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article I5wck.341$rb1.138@trndny08, Sharkbait says...
Our itinerary takes us through Incheon for a long (8-hour) layover. We have
plenty of time for a great lunch either at or outside the airport (if that
is practical). Any recommendations for great local or western food. We are
particularly fond of sushi. Thanks in advance.

I would go to Seoul, a very nice city:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Korea/Seoul/

No point spending 8 hours at the airport.
--

Alfred Molon
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Bob Myers

"Sharkbait" wrote in message
Our itinerary takes us through Incheon for a long (8-hour) layover. We
have plenty of time for a great lunch either at or outside the airport (if
that is practical). Any recommendations for great local or western food.
We are particularly fond of sushi. Thanks in advance.

You do realize that sushi is Japanese, not Korean, right?
(Which is not to say that you can't get sushi in Korea, but
it's certainly not the first dish that comes to mind when
thinking of "local" food there.)

Incheon International is in the middle of West Nowhere,
R.O.K.. A good distance out from Seoul, and surrounded
by some really, really lovely mud flats and such. An 8-hour
layover might be enough to give you a few hours in Seoul
if you're willing to make the trip, though. Taking the bus
service to/from ICN/Seoul will take roughly an hour,
depending on just where in Seoul you want to go.

Bob M.

Old July 7th, 2008, 11:39 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Bob Myers wrote,

You do realize that sushi is Japanese, not Korean, right?
(Which is not to say that you can't get sushi in Korea, but
it's certainly not the first dish that comes to mind when
thinking of "local" food there.)

Actually, I know many Koreans who love sushi. Two years ago my cruise ship
stopped at Busan, and we saw several sushi restaurants, although we did not
partake. Koreans, like Japanese, appreciate quality sushi.

Incheon International is in the middle of West Nowhere,
R.O.K.

I am geographically challenged when it comes to R.O.K. Like many countries,
the new international airports are well away from the city. That is why a
lunch-time meal may be impractical outside the Incheon airport. I was
thinking an hour or so to Seoul, two hours for lunch and an hour back to the
airport (10:30 am to 2:30 pm). I don't know if this can be accompished
without a hassle (on a Friday). Thanks.

rg

Old July 7th, 2008, 11:40 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
SMS

Sharkbait wrote:
Our itinerary takes us through Incheon for a long (8-hour) layover. We have
plenty of time for a great lunch either at or outside the airport (if that
is practical). Any recommendations for great local or western food. We are
particularly fond of sushi. Thanks in advance.

Take the bus into Seoul (take the non-stop bus to Seoul train station).
You can get there by train, but it involves transfers at Gimpo (domestic
airport) to the Seoul subway system and will take longer than the bus
except perhaps at extreme rush hour. The bus takes about an hour. You
can spend three hours in Seoul, and still get back to Incheon with time
to spare.

Geez, if you're in Korea, don't eat sushi, go for some Korean beef and
dolsot bibimbab.
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:43 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Alfred Molon wrote,

I would go to Seoul, a very nice city:

We are particularly fond of good kimchee. Thanks for the response.

rg

Old July 8th, 2008, 12:27 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

SMS wrote,

Geez, if you're in Korea, don't eat sushi, go for some Korean beef and
dolsot bibimbab.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion of Korean beef. How is it considered
served best? Now I need to google dolsot bibimbab.

rg

Old July 8th, 2008, 02:18 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
SMS

Sharkbait wrote:
SMS wrote,

Geez, if you're in Korea, don't eat sushi, go for some Korean beef and
dolsot bibimbab.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion of Korean beef. How is it considered
served best? Now I need to google dolsot bibimbab.

It's the best fast food! $5 in Korea. about $11 in most Korean
restaurants around here.

Kind of like the Korean version of fried rice, but it's not fried. Be
sure to get the dolsot bibimbab (sometimes transliterated as bibimbap),
not just bibibab. "Dolsot" means that it's served in a hot metal or
stone bowl. You mix it continuously for 3-5 minutes before eating it.

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibimbap"

Of course you can get all this food at the airport if you don't want to
go into Seoul. Or go into the town of Incheon.

You might consider taking the KCAT bus from the airport to COEX in
Seoul, which has a huge mall between two hotels, and a Hyundai
department store. Lots of restaurants of all kinds there, probably 50
restaurants. You want to avoid the buses that make a lot of stops at
hotels. There is a way from the bus terminal directly into the mall, but
I usually give up and go outside and walk around. I found the way in
once. There is a kimchee museum in the mall.

"http://www.coex.co.kr/eng/VisitorInformation/HowtogetCOEX_Fromairport.asp"
"http://www.coex.co.kr/eng/AboutCOEX/COEXataglance4.asp"
"http://www.coexmall.com/language/en/"
"http://www.coexmall.com/language/en/html/storeguide.asp"

Have fun. Korea is awesome.
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:20 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 23:27:28 GMT, the renowned "Sharkbait"
wrote:

SMS wrote,

Geez, if you're in Korea, don't eat sushi, go for some Korean beef and
dolsot bibimbab.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion of Korean beef. How is it considered
served best? Now I need to google dolsot bibimbab.

rg

Agree on the bi bim bap and you might want to try some gam ja tang.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ibimbap-02.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mjatang-01.jpg

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:48 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Many thanks to SMS and Spehro Pefhany. Incheon is looking very tasty at
this point. Are these dishes worth the trip to Seoul or can they be had at
the airport with an expectation of high quality? After all, vacation is for
spending on the good things in life, and I am running out of years. Thanks.

rg

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 23:27:28 GMT, the renowned "Sharkbait"
wrote:

SMS wrote,

Geez, if you're in Korea, don't eat sushi, go for some Korean beef and
dolsot bibimbab.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion of Korean beef. How is it considered
served best? Now I need to google dolsot bibimbab.

rg

Agree on the bi bim bap and you might want to try some gam ja tang.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ibimbap-02.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mjatang-01.jpg

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Info for manufacturers:
http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:
http://www.speff.com