Laptop China?

Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:06 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tom P[_4_]

Default Laptop China?

Question from a first time visitor: with upcoming business trip to China
looking possible, what problems might I get bringing a laptop into the
country?
Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:46 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Tom P" wrote in message
Question from a first time visitor: with upcoming business trip to China
looking possible, what problems might I get bringing a laptop into the
country?

Well...

Going by today's news, connecting to the Amnesty International site...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 4th, 2008, 12:52 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Aug 3, 3:06 pm, Tom P wrote:
Question from a first time visitor: with upcoming business trip to China
looking possible, what problems might I get bringing a laptop into the
country?

I traveled to China last fall with my sister and her husband. They
brought an Apple laptop and had no problems. Almost every hotel had
an ethernet connection in the room at no extra charge. We did not
look for wifi hotspots.

The conventional wisdom is to beware of espionage. If you are
worried, one recommended approach is to bring a "clean" computer with
nothing confidential on the hard drive, and to assume that someone
will be spying on all of your internet activities. Personal email and
business email with no proprietary information should be OK.
Old August 4th, 2008, 04:45 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Aug 3, 3:06*pm, Tom P wrote:
Question from a first time visitor: with upcoming business trip to China
looking possible, what problems might I get bringing a laptop into the
country?

No too much, unless you want to connect to Falungon sites, or Amnesty
International. I understand that US state dept employees traveling to
China always carry a "clean" laptop with them. So if you have any
high level trade secrets you may want to be cautious.
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:05 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tom P[_4_]

PeterL wrote:
On Aug 3, 3:06 pm, Tom P wrote:
Question from a first time visitor: with upcoming business trip to China
looking possible, what problems might I get bringing a laptop into the
country?

No too much, unless you want to connect to Falungon sites, or Amnesty
International. I understand that US state dept employees traveling to
China always carry a "clean" laptop with them. So if you have any
high level trade secrets you may want to be cautious.

That is exactly my concern. The reason for bringing a laptop at all is
the material essential to my work, much of which is confidential. I do
not want customs or police or anyone else snooping round and maybe
confiscating data or the whole laptop. What happens if I encrypt stuff?
Does that make it look incriminating?
Old August 4th, 2008, 07:45 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Aug 4, 9:05*am, Tom P wrote:
PeterL wrote:
On Aug 3, 3:06 pm, Tom P wrote:
Question from a first time visitor: with upcoming business trip to China
looking possible, what problems might I get bringing a laptop into the
country?

No too much, unless you want to connect to Falungon sites, or Amnesty
International. *I understand that US state dept employees traveling to
China always carry a "clean" laptop with them. *So if you have any
high level trade secrets you may want to be cautious.

* That is exactly my concern. The reason for bringing a laptop at all is
the material essential to my work, much of which is confidential. I do
not want customs or police or anyone else snooping round and maybe
confiscating data or the whole laptop. *What happens if I encrypt stuff?
Does that make it look incriminating?

Never heard of Chinese customs confiscating laptops. If you have
confidential trade secrets yes do encrypt or store the stuff online
where you can access it or carry it on a memory stick.

Actually the US government has the right to confiscate anyone's
computer on entry into the US without having to give a reason. So
there.
Old August 4th, 2008, 08:38 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tom P[_4_]

PeterL wrote:
On Aug 4, 9:05 am, Tom P wrote:
PeterL wrote:
On Aug 3, 3:06 pm, Tom P wrote:
[...]

Snap. This just showed up on another NG:
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Government/...aptops/?kc=rss

I thought the Chinese were supposed to be the totalitarian ones, and the
US the bastian of fredom an democracy.

Old August 4th, 2008, 09:42 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Tom P" wrote in message
what problems might I get bringing a laptop into the country?

I understand some hotels are being required to install software to allow the
government to monitor your sessions. My experience is that web serving is
usually contracted out, so where is the software installed? It still
doesn't matter, as that would be a concern for me if I was logged into my
company website, bank account or any other site.

In the past, I also understand many legitimate websites were blocked. I am
not an expert in this area but if I hear is true, that would seriously
concern me.

rg

Old August 4th, 2008, 09:51 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

PeterL wrote in message news:07afdf93-27e6-41ce-8067-

Never heard of Chinese customs confiscating laptops. If you have
confidential trade secrets yes do encrypt or store the stuff online
where you can access it or carry it on a memory stick.

Actually the US government has the right to confiscate anyone's
computer on entry into the US without having to give a reason. So
there.

--------------------------

I don't know how true it is that our our Homeland Security Department in the
US has the right to confiscate any computer from anyone coming into the US
under the auspices of the Terrorism Act/s. Even US citizens are subject to
this potential abuse and the feds can hold on to your computer for as long
as they want. It would be nice to hear more about this hearsay, especially
as it relates to "just cause" and laws surrounding reasonable (but not
abusive) search and seizure.

rg

Old August 5th, 2008, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Aug 4, 1:51*pm, "Sharkbait" wrote:
[...]

Not hearsay. I just heard about this on public radio this morning.
One congressman is introducing legislature to make them show cause
before they can seize anyone's laptop.