Giza train station

Old October 13th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Davis AZ

Default Giza train station

Hello All,

Does the sleeper train (www.sleepingtrains.com) stop at Giza station
when going from cairo to Aswan and how easy it get tickets.

Thanks
Davis AZ

Old October 14th, 2005, 09:04 AM
riverman

I'm not sure, but when I took the overnight train from Cairo to Aswan
several years ago, it was sure a lot less than that site quotes!!

I think this must be a middleman that jacks up the rates. I walked over
to the Cairo train station the morning before, and bought my ticket
onsite for something equivalent to $20US, if I remember correctly. I
also think it didn't make any stops before heading south.

Check some local sites and cross reference with Lonelyplanet.com before
you send money to sleepingtrains.com, I think.

--riverman

Old October 14th, 2005, 09:10 AM
riverman

Yeah, check out
http://tinyurl.com/88yuf

'Reservations' in Egypt are a misnomer...even holding an advanced
ticket doesn't guarantee anything. If I were you, I'd head to Ramses
station and buy your ticket cash money. If you have some flexibility in
your itinerary, you can take the risk that the train is full. If you
don't have flexibility in your schedule, this ticket will be the least
of your problems while in Egypt g.

--riverman

Old October 14th, 2005, 09:14 AM
riverman

Me again. Have you checked out this site?

http://www.seat61.com/Egypt.htm

--riverman

Old October 20th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Nisse PowerMan

Davis AZ wrote:

Hello All,

Does the sleeper train (www.sleepingtrains.com) stop at Giza station
when going from cairo to Aswan and how easy it get tickets.

Thanks
Davis AZ

I don't know about the sleeper.

I took a day train and it stopped at Giza.

/Nisse

--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!
Old November 1st, 2005, 03:19 PM
Cliff Bott

I took the sleeper from Cairo to Aswan Sept 04. From memory it's an express
service and doesn't stop at Giza. As riverman said, the Lonely Planet Egypt
Guide has information on how to get tickets. I got mine through Hamis
Travel (one of the organisations mentioned in the book). They were quite
honest and reliable. Their office is close to Ramses station which is where
the train leaves from. I actually got the train from Cairo to Aswan, took a
cruise from Aswan to Luxor, and took the train back from Luxor to Cairo. By
the way, don't take this as a rap for the Lonely Planet Egypt guide which is
pretty poor on mid-range accommodation recommendations, I found.

ups.com...