Space Available

Old July 3rd, 2006, 12:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Default Space Available

Was in Europe last week, and while listening to American Forces Radio heard
that 'space available' travel
seems to still be a way of saving money. Didnt get the details, and from
the full flights I was on, I dont know
whether it is a viable situation or not.

Would seem to me that American domestic flights could take advantage of this
to help pay the bills. Used
to do it, IIRC:

Old July 3rd, 2006, 01:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air

wrote:

Would seem to me that American domestic flights could take advantage
of this to help pay the bills. Used to do it, IIRC:

Airlines found that they make more money charging last minute passengers a
premium price. They are often business travelers, who are willing to pay.
Consider that one seat sold at three times the average price is the
equivalent of six seats sold at 1/2 price. The object isn't to get the
most people on the plane, the object is to get the most money.

US airlines haven't offered cheap last minute seats for something like 20
years.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 01:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air

wrote in
. net:

Was in Europe last week, and while listening to American Forces Radio
heard that 'space available' travel
seems to still be a way of saving money. Didnt get the details, and
from the full flights I was on, I dont know
whether it is a viable situation or not.

Would seem to me that American domestic flights could take advantage
of this to help pay the bills. Used
to do it, IIRC:

The key is you were listening to the US military radio. Space Available
is a military phenomena and has resulted in cheap travel for many years
you won't flt scheduled air though and you need to be active duty or
dependant status etc.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old July 3rd, 2006, 03:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Joseph Coulter wrote:

Space Available
is a military phenomena and has resulted in cheap travel for many years
you won't flt scheduled air though and you need to be active duty or
dependant status etc.

And even then, unless you were flying between a couple of major logistics bases,
the odds of getting a flight and not being bumped were high enough to make it a
real gamble. Not something you'd want to be betting a short leave on.