Peanuts in Chinese Foods

Old June 26th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Michael S. Brown, Esq.

Default Peanuts in Chinese Foods

My daughter is allergic to peanuts. Does anyone know whether it is common
for foods to be cooked in peanut oil as in the States?

Does anyone know how to say, "I'm allergic to peanuts. Do you use peanut
oil in your cooking?"

Thanks is advance.

Old June 27th, 2005, 12:33 AM
PeterL

Michael S. Brown, Esq. wrote:
My daughter is allergic to peanuts. Does anyone know whether it is common
for foods to be cooked in peanut oil as in the States?

Quite possibally.

Does anyone know how to say, "I'm allergic to peanuts. Do you use peanut
oil in your cooking?"

Best is for you to have these words in Chinese printed on a card and
carry that with you. But even so that may not help as some don't
really have a concept of peanut allergy and it's effect. Best to say
"I may die if I eat peanuts or peanut oil." Allergy is one thing.
Death is understood by all.

Thanks is advance.

Old June 27th, 2005, 12:49 AM
PeterL

Michael S. Brown, Esq. wrote:
My daughter is allergic to peanuts. Does anyone know whether it is common
for foods to be cooked in peanut oil as in the States?

Does anyone know how to say, "I'm allergic to peanuts. Do you use peanut
oil in your cooking?"

Thanks is advance.

By the way, do your own translation from this web site:

http://www.freetranslation.com/

Translate from English to **simplified** Chinese. I plug "I am
allergic to peanut." and "Do you use peanut oil?" and both sentences
translated correctly. Print out couple of copies to carry around with
you in China.

Old June 27th, 2005, 01:22 AM
John W.

Michael S. Brown, Esq. wrote:
My daughter is allergic to peanuts. Does anyone know whether it is common
for foods to be cooked in peanut oil as in the States?

Like anywhere, I think a lot depends on where you go. Is she also
allergic to nuts in general?

Does anyone know how to say, "I'm allergic to peanuts. Do you use peanut
oil in your cooking?"

This might sound silly, but I'd go to your local Chinese restaurant
(that's run by Chinese) and ask them. They're probably aware of the
concept, being in the US, and should be able to help out.

John W.

Old June 27th, 2005, 11:04 AM
A Mate

Peanuts are common snacks, and commonly used in cooking in China!!

Be very, very careful!!!!

om...