Mont Blanc Tunnel

Old April 21st, 2006, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Mont Blanc Tunnel

I'm a bit new to driving in Europe, and I wondered if anyone can tell
me how busy the Mont Blanc tunnel gets in early June (about the 7th).
Is it advisable to use this tunnel or is it best to go for an
alternative. I shall be driving from Calais to Castagneto Carducci in
Italy, and would appreciate any advice/warnings or whatever you think
appropriate. Thanks/Merci/Grazie - Ken

Old April 21st, 2006, 04:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Early June, no PB

Traffic peak in the week-ends of July-August

swiss gotthard tunnel is a may be more secure alternative
( and included in the Swiss annual highway pass (40CHF) )

Old April 21st, 2006, 05:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

We took it last year in late August going to Chamonix on a Friday
afternoon the wait was about 20-25 minutes.

Old April 21st, 2006, 05:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

despite its recent renovation,

this tunnel has no separated escape route.

People was found dead in the so called "safe" rooms, after the last fire
was lasting for days

and if it turns bad again, it will again turn in a huge pizza
owen..................

The gotthard has a separate rescue tunnel where you can walk out

we all hope the best, the chance is very small that is happens again.

message de news: ...

Old April 21st, 2006, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

trallala schrieb:

Early June, no PB

Traffic peak in the week-ends of July-August

swiss gotthard tunnel is a may be more secure alternative
( and included in the Swiss annual highway pass (40CHF) )

St.Gotthard ?
Might be technically safer, but frequently extreme traffic-jams
(last two weekend up to 2 hours!)

A shorter detour to avoid Mont-Blanc tunnel would be either
via Lausanne and Simplon pass road (partially scenic) or
Grand-St-Bernard (scenic, but takes time for pass), or even
up Valais for really scenic Nufenen pass road. Just that
both Grand-St-Bernard and Nunfenen pass roads are
reopened to traffic usually early to mid-June .... the best
time with impressive snow-walls on the top section of
mainly Nufenen.

For road/traffic info in France best probably is to use
http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/

Old April 22nd, 2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

JuanElorza schrieb:

a écrit :
I'm a bit new to driving in Europe, and I wondered if anyone can tell
me how busy the Mont Blanc tunnel gets in early June (about the 7th).
Is it advisable to use this tunnel or is it best to go for an
alternative. I shall be driving from Calais to Castagneto Carducci in
Italy, and would appreciate any advice/warnings or whatever you think
appropriate. Thanks/Merci/Grazie - Ken

Alternate St Bernard Pass route should be OK in june. From Lyon, take
the alpine highway to Chambery Albertville, Bourg St Maurice, then 54 km
of national road up and down the pass to Morgex in the Aosta valley.
Very scenic.

To avoid confusion might be worth mentionning that
this is "Petit-St-Bernard" between France and Italy
as opposed to "Grand-St-Bernard" between Switzerland
and Italy.

If I was on a vacation trip from Calais to Livorno area
probably choose Grand-St-Bernard rather than toll-road
detour via Bourg-en-Bresse

www.viamichelin.com recommends Bourg-en-Bresse
and Montblanc-Tunnel with some 1428km in 12:45
(11:57 on highways) for 132.80 Euro highway-fees
wheras the route Besancon, Lausanne, Grand-St-Bernard
is displayed as 1450km in 14:50 (11:00 highways)
and 77.90 highway fees (plus Swiss highway sticker
for a year at 25.80 aprox).
Shortcut via Salins-les-Bains instead of Besancon on
more scenic routes would take 1386km in 13:57
10:28 on highways) and 74.80 higways fees.