mombasa

Old November 9th, 2006, 01:01 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Kevin Jonson

Default mombasa

Hi,

We are thinking of climbing Mt Kenya in Dec, and then would like to relax on
the beach for a few days. Has anyone got any suggestions for reasonable
clean backpacker / self catering accommodation on the beach.

Secondly, what is the main difference between south and north beach in
Mombasa ?

Lastly, any other major attractions we should see while in Nairobi or
Mombasa ? We will probably never get to visit again so might as well see it
now.

Thanks

Cheers
Kev

Old November 10th, 2006, 12:27 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Liz Leyden

In message
"Kevin Jonson" wrote:

Hi,

We are thinking of climbing Mt Kenya in Dec, and then would like to relax on
the beach for a few days. Has anyone got any suggestions for reasonable
clean backpacker / self catering accommodation on the beach.

Secondly, what is the main difference between south and north beach in
Mombasa ?

Lastly, any other major attractions we should see while in Nairobi or
Mombasa ? We will probably never get to visit again so might as well see it
now.

Nairobi National Park for sure, if it's going to be your only chance
to see the wildlife. If you're (as I suspect) uninterested in
wildlife, there's the museum, the railway museum and the Bomas of
Kenya (traditional tribal dancing performed by professional dancers).

Slainte

Liz

--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos
Photo Gallery:

Old November 10th, 2006, 04:09 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Rita Daggett

?

Lastly, any other major attractions we should see while in Nairobi or
Mombasa ? We will probably never get to visit again so might as well see

it
now.

Adding to Liz's reply - there is the Carnivore Restaurant in Nairobi (never
been myself tho).
When we were last in Mombasa we took a 'guided tour' of the town which was
interesting; also to the woodcarving place (you can see the people actually
doing the carving), and to a quarry (?) area which had been turned into a
sort-of park which you could walk round - afraid I cant remember what it was
called! I think we were south of Mombasa but not very far south.

--
Rita Daggett

Old November 10th, 2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Liz Leyden

In message
"Rita Daggett" wrote:

?

Lastly, any other major attractions we should see while in Nairobi or
Mombasa ? We will probably never get to visit again so might as well see

it
now.

Adding to Liz's reply - there is the Carnivore Restaurant in Nairobi (never
been myself tho).

I've been twice, the last time in '02, and would have recommended it
(to non-vegetarians, though there is a veggie menu - on the back of
the dessert menu) but our driver/guide this year said either that it
had closed(?) or certainly that they weren't allowed to sell game meat
any more. (I'd assumed it was ranched, not killed wild).
Has anyone been in the past few months?

Also the Karen Blixen House/Langata Giraffe Manor.

Slainte

Liz

Old November 13th, 2006, 08:58 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Kevin Jonson

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Any advice on a beach chalet type of accomodation
around mombassa. I stayed at Langi-Langi in Nungwi in Zanzibar last year,
and found that superb. Any idea's as to accomodation in a back packers /
good clean budget beach chalets ???

Regards
Kev

"Liz Leyden" wrote in message

?

Old November 16th, 2006, 10:58 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
sandy58

Kevin Jonson wrote:
Hi,

We are thinking of climbing Mt Kenya in Dec, and then would like to relax on
the beach for a few days. Has anyone got any suggestions for reasonable
clean backpacker / self catering accommodation on the beach.

Secondly, what is the main difference between south and north beach in
Mombasa ?

Lastly, any other major attractions we should see while in Nairobi or
Mombasa ? We will probably never get to visit again so might as well see it
now.

Thanks

Cheers
Kev

Hi, Kev. North & South beaches, Mombasa. I was there years ago & we
were told to stay off the North beach "as there were quicksands."
Obviously we didn't try to prove or dis-prove this statement. A
beautiful place to be all the same.