Marshals to fly US-AUS route.

Old May 8th, 2004, 04:22 AM

Default Marshals to fly US-AUS route.

It's a deal: marshals to fly on US route by Robert Wainwright

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...911408335.html

May 8, 2004 Up to six armed air marshals will be on board flights
between Australia and the US next week as the Federal Government beefs
up international aviation security.

The Customs Minister, Chris Ellison and the US ambassador, Tom
Schieffer will announce arrangements today to double the size of the
international sky marshal program, which at present only covers
flights between Australia and Singapore.

Sky marshals have been on flights to and from Singapore since last
Christmas and the Government is also understood to be negotiating with
half a dozen other countries, including Britain, Canada and some Asian
countries such as Malaysia.

But there is a price to pay for the extra security. Qantas has agreed
to pick up half the cost of seats used by the marshals, an expense
that will inevitably be passed on through ticket prices.

Although no one would discuss details of the deal, it is believed it
will cost at least $10 million a year to cover almost 100 weekly
return flights to the US and Singapore. The cost to Australia of
providing about 120 marshals is a further $18.5 million a year.

Details of how they operate have remained secret, but it is understood
they travel on about 7 per cent of domestic flights, usually working
in pairs, under a scheme that has been operating since New Year's Eve
2001 without incident.

The percentage of international flights covered is much higher, and
the number of marshals aboard will depend on the size of the plane.
Sources close to the program say Boeing 767s will carry up to four
marshals and the much larger 747s up to six.

Senator Ellison confirmed last night that "diplomatic notes" would be
exchanged to allow armed marshals aboard international flights between
Australia and the US.

"It will allow us to put marshals on our national flag carrier,
Qantas, and will give reciprocal rights to the US so their national
carrier, United Airlines, will also have marshals," he said. "These
officers will be armed and covert.

"This demonstrates very clearly the close relationship we have with
the US on aviation security, and sends a clear message to the
travelling public that we have a secure aviation industry on one of
Qantas's busiest international routes."

Senator Ellison would not discuss costs and revealed that the
cost-sharing agreement with Qantas was "interim" until the end of the
financial year.

"It was an interim agreement we came to when we began the
international program with Singapore. We are currently negotiating
with them for a permanent arrangement. I have had initial discussions
with the company but they are confidential at this stage."

Qantas confirmed its co-operation last night but would not discuss
cost detail. "Qantas will continue to work closely with the Government
to improve aviation security including the expansion of the sky
marshal program. We will continue to comply with all legislative
requirements."

The sky marshal program has had a troubled history since the Prime
Minister, John Howard, announced it during the election campaign after
the September 11, 2001 attacks.

Despite plans to unfurl the international scheme throughout 2002,
jurisdictional hurdles and disputes over where marshals should remove
their weapons caused delays.

Senator Ellison said an in-principle agreement with Indonesia had been
reached only months after the Bali bombings in October 2002 - but no
program has eventuated.

Difficulties have also surrounded attempts to forge a deal with New
Zealand, which accounts for up to 40 per cent of all flights from
Australia, mainly because officials there want marshals to disarm
before disembarking. ###

Old May 8th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Roger Martin

Just what we all need is another 6 gun toting, trigger happy police rejects.