Bulgaria & Romania recommendations?

Old May 25th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Christian Hannibal

Default Bulgaria & Romania recommendations?

Hi group.

Me and one of my friends are going interrailing around Sourth-eastern Europe
this summer. More specifically we want to spent some time in Romania and
Bulgaria. Since we have next to no idea what awaits us down there (we are
from Denmark) we woudl like to hear any recommendations from people who have
been there before.

Places to visit, hostels, hotels, dos and dont's etc.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Christian Hannibal

remove REMOVE to reply directly

Old May 25th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Wed, 25 May 2005 12:33:30 +0200, "Christian Hannibal"
wrote:

Hi group.

Me and one of my friends are going interrailing around Sourth-eastern Europe
this summer. More specifically we want to spent some time in Romania and
Bulgaria. Since we have next to no idea what awaits us down there (we are
from Denmark) we woudl like to hear any recommendations from people who have
been there before.

Places to visit, hostels, hotels, dos and dont's etc.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

It's all fairly safe. Theft is an issue of course, as you are sure to
be a damn sight richer than the locals. You can often stay with the
locals, which is cheap perfectly safe. I did this a lot.

Bucharest is a bit of a ********, but Sofia is nicer. Much of the
Black Sea coast is hideously over-developed. The Danube Delta is
apparently a really nice spot for a nature retreat, but I haven't been
there.

English is spoken in both countries. Russian might help in Bulgaria,
French, Spanish, or Italian will help in Romania. In Bulgaria, almost
everything is written in cyrillic, so spend a bit of time learning
that.

My favourite spot was around Transylvania in the mountains. There are
some great little villages around there.

Anything more specific you want to know?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old May 26th, 2005, 02:39 AM

I know only a little about Bulgaria, I have much more experience with
Romania.

Bulgaria---In Sofia there is a park with an open market where they sell
lots of great stuff--Roman coins, lacquer boxes from Russia, etc. I
also loved Plovdiv. Saw Aida in an amphitheater built by the Romans.
Pretty cool, especially if your American where we have nothing like it.

Romania---I would agree that Bucharest is not much. There are a few
hostels but I always recommend Vila 11 which is just 200 meters from
Gara de Nord, the main train . 12.50 Euro
gets a good bed and breakfast. While in Buch the Parliament Building,
art museum and village museum are all worth your time and easy to get
to by Metro or bus.

Transylvania is the highlight of Romania. The cities of Brasov, Sinaia
and Sighisoara are all great. Castle Bran is a must see. I recommend
you stay in one of the many Cazare (rented rooms) that go for about 6
Euro and include a great breakfast. If you have time Resnov Fortress is
worth a look.

Suceava area is good if you have time. The painted monestaries of
Putna, Suceavita, Moldovita, etc. are worth your time if you like
cultural/religious/historical sites. Many people don't want to learn
about the artwork, etc. and think that if you have seen one monestary
you have seen them all.

Deva and Hunadoara are two places I love. Deva is just a nice pleasant
city and cool place to spend a few days. Very relaxed. Hunadoara has
the best castle in Romania I think. Not touristy like Bran, Pelis and
the others. No guides, no services. Just a very formidable, midieval
castle that is cool. You can take a maxi taxi from Deva to Hunadoara.

Shall I keep going? If you get further north Cluj Napoca is nice and I
can put you in touch with some folks to stay with. Also the area known
as Maramures is very interesting. I took the train to Baia Mare and for
$35 hired a driver and guide for the day. I stayed in a place called
Iaod (or something like that---pronounced Yowed). I stayed in one of
the agro touristic places. Great food, price higher than I would have
liked.

Danube Delta---I didn't like it that much. Glad I went but doubt I will
go again.

That's it. Take care. Have fun.
Dan

Old May 26th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Christian Hannibal

skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
[...]

Wauw, that's a lot of great recommendations. Sounds like you know your way
around Romania! We will definitely spend quite a bit of time in
Transylvania and the Maramures region. We want to get off the beaten track
and apprently that's quite easy to do in Romania.

Thanks for all the input. It's highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Christian

Old May 30th, 2005, 02:32 PM

Train or maxi-taxi is the best way to get around I find. Car rental is
expensive in Romania, plus fuel. The train is cheap and they have these
new intercity trains that are good but I prefer the old ones just for
the experience.

In the major cities you will find maxi-taxis or big vans that go from
major city to major city---Bucharest to Brasov for instance. They are
about the same cost as trains but faster and make rest stops. The
downside is there is little room for luggage and they are not that
comfortable.

In more rural areas you can hitch hike, but it is always customary to
pay the person who picks you up something when they drop you off. This
helps with their gas which is quite expensive.

Hiring a driver is pretty easy if you ask around at train stations.
Sometimes taxi drivers, sometimes just a person with a car. You can get
a good road map for about 3.5 Euro.

If you need a guide, I have a good friend in Iasi who works for about
55 Euro/week plus expenses. He knows how to rent a car, find a driver,
where to go, stay, etc. if you are interested.

Dan