Driving time estimates: how reliable ?

Old April 19th, 2004, 05:01 AM

Default Driving time estimates: how reliable ?

I built my itinerary pretty much counting on the driving times
generated by Mappy (for Germany and Austria) and Viamichelin (for
Czech). But is there such a thing as traffic on European highways ?
Should I make some adjustments for weekdays, or for weekends ?

Sorry for such a basic question, this is the first time I am
travelling in Europe by car at a large scale. I did some driving in
Italy before, but it was limited to 70km/day, so driving times were
not an issue.
Old April 19th, 2004, 07:22 AM
mpprh

Hi

I'm sorry to tell you that we have traffic problems in Europe !

Peak times are weekends and holiday times.
We also have toll queues,
accidents and roadworks.

Expected delays are published in each country
by the road authorities. Europe wide info is available through teletext
and websites such as BBC. Local info is available by radio, but may not
be in your language.

For most long highway trips across Europe an
average of 100 km/hr including stops is achievable.You may be lucky and
beat it, but it is a good planning average for long journeys (500+ km).

Here is the national traffic info site for France : ]http://www.bison-
fute.equipement.gouv.fr/[/url]

Peter

Originally posted by
ptich

?

Old April 19th, 2004, 08:14 PM
nightjar

wrote in message
om...
I built my itinerary pretty much counting on the driving times
generated by Mappy (for Germany and Austria) and Viamichelin (for
Czech).

I find that viaMichelin is optomisitic about its timings. Driving a modern
car with fairly good performance, I would normally add at least 25% to the
times for motorway travel, and 50% for short journeys or non-motorway
travel. However, that makes no allowance for unexpected holdups.

Colin Bignell

Old April 19th, 2004, 11:12 PM
j.e.r.

wrote in message . com...
I built my itinerary pretty much counting on the driving times
generated by Mappy (for Germany and Austria) and Viamichelin (for
Czech). But is there such a thing as traffic on European highways ?
Should I make some adjustments for weekdays, or for weekends ?

Sorry for such a basic question, this is the first time I am
travelling in Europe by car at a large scale. I did some driving in
Italy before, but it was limited to 70km/day, so driving times were
not an issue.

Up to now I found itineraries proposed by viamichelin mostly
reasonable, time estimates definitely feasible with a decent car.

But: during vacation time, expect MAJOR traffic jams on the
main highways from and to the vacation resorts. I would NEVER
try to drive St.Gotthard tunnel for example on major vacation
departures or returns (for this Easter break jams up to 14 km!),
I am not driving a car on most of the highways in Switzerland
on saturdays and sundays during close to all vacation holidays
(especially february and march for skiing resorts, july and
august for summer vacations) and try to follow the same rules
for Austria (transit traffic comparable to Switzerland) and
Germany (with border crossing still being a slowdown or longer
stop, especially when entering "Schengen area").
Best thing is to get updated recommendations by national
car drivers associations (and their websites), have a decent
map and listen to traffic information.

Websites with traffic-jam information
http://www.verkehrsinformation.de/
http://www.oeamtc.at/index.php?type=menu&id=0280

German Automotive Association (www.adac.de) is making traffic
information available exclusively for members!

Have a safe and great trip

J.E.(Hans)Rotzetter jer(at)iprolink.ch