Yucatan organised bus travel vs rented car

Old October 27th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Gert Bukacek

Default Yucatan organised bus travel vs rented car

Initially I wanted to rent a car. But after some good advice of friends I
am reconsidering this intention.

I'd be pleased to receive your oppinion on that. (perhaps new
advantages/disadvantages and conclusion!!)

Some thoughts of mine concerning advantages and disadvantages:

car:

+ independent (choose the exact tour, stop at any place, return as i
please)
+ maybe cheaper
- risk of getting robbed on remote streets (I've heard of people carrying
guns robbing you)
- problem with accidents (as much as I figured out tourists are always
responsible, the police is corrupt and should be avoided)
- risk of car getting robbed, stolen or damaged while visiting sights

thank you in advance

Buki

Old October 27th, 2003, 05:59 PM
news.verizon.net

Distances in Yucatan tend to be large and the interior is flat and not so
interesting, so leaving the driving to a pro is a good idea. But do not take
organized bus tours. They typically arrive too late in the day and leave too
early to really enjoy your visit. The country is criss=crossed by a very
efficient and comfortable bus service and that, to me, is the best way to
travel. Even the chicken busses to out-of-the-way villages are not bad at
all for a short ride.
Driving your own car is not a problem either if you carry the right
insurance with local representation. But it is a tiresome responsibility and
a worry I don't need. As for the cops, they are generally your friend, at
least as good or better than your average U.S. State trooper. And
corruption, is not at all the monster we hear about. Different customs apply
in different countries (and Cities). Just remember the true meaning of the
word Tip: to insure prompt service :-) If you have done something very dumb
and dangerous do you prefer showing up in court the next week or leaving
$10. on the spot in appreciation for a quick sermon and leniency? BTW, I
have not had to do that in the past twenty years and that was in my own
country.

Old October 27th, 2003, 06:22 PM
Caveat

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:11:23 GMT, "Gert Bukacek"
wrote:

Initially I wanted to rent a car. But after some good advice of friends I
am reconsidering this intention.
I'd be pleased to receive your oppinion on that. (perhaps new
advantages/disadvantages and conclusion!!)
Some thoughts of mine concerning advantages and disadvantages:
car:
+ independent (choose the exact tour, stop at any place, return as i
please)
+ maybe cheaper
- risk of getting robbed on remote streets (I've heard of people carrying
guns robbing you)
- problem with accidents (as much as I figured out tourists are always
responsible, the police is corrupt and should be avoided)
- risk of car getting robbed, stolen or damaged while visiting sights

Personally, I hate those bus tours. You are herded around like cattle
on some pre-set schedule. It's always crowded because you take the
crowd with you. And you can only see what they want you to see. Part
of the excitement of Chichen Itza and Uxmal is being able to wander
around these places alone, and feel the history. I doubt that, for
instance, bus tour operators let members crawl up the narrow
passageway inside the Caracol observatory at Chichen Itza.

The Yucatan isn't known to be a very dangerous place in terms of
personal crime against tourists. Cities where you are from are likely
more dangerous. And flying anywhere to a vacation site is probably far
more dangerous than wandering the streets of Merida or Cancun.

Car rentals are a bargain in Mexico, and all the big international
companies operate there. The usual precautions apply: don't drive at
night, watch out for animals on the road, beware of potholes and
repair zones, beware of light-fingered kids in gas stations, do not
leave valuable visible inside a parked car. And learn what the signs
that say "topes" mean.

The mandatory Mexican liability insurance costs about $US5 per day. We
use our American Express Card insurance package to cover the rest.
(Watch out for overcharges.) Obviously don't get into accidents -- the
Policia are not all corrupt, but the laws may require that all parties
be arrested until fault can be determined. And most importantly: do
not drive when you have been drinking alcohol (your insurance is
ineffective if they decide that you are impaired).

Regards,

Caveat

Old October 28th, 2003, 03:25 AM
Technobarbarian

"Gert Bukacek" wrote in message

Initially I wanted to rent a car. But after some good advice of friends I
am reconsidering this intention.

I'd be pleased to receive your oppinion on that. (perhaps new
advantages/disadvantages and conclusion!!)

Some thoughts of mine concerning advantages and disadvantages:

car:

+ independent (choose the exact tour, stop at any place, return as i
please)
+ maybe cheaper

Definitely cheaper to rent a car. Short term tourists with lots of money
(or plastic) and little sense have helped push tour prices through the roof.

- risk of getting robbed on remote streets (I've heard of people

carrying
guns robbing you)

As noted elsewhere, if you live in a major American city the Yucatan
is safer than where you live.

- problem with accidents (as much as I figured out tourists are always
responsible, the police is corrupt and should be avoided)
- risk of car getting robbed, stolen or damaged while visiting sights

The major sites have uniformed security in the parking lots. And other
than the minor inconvience what do you care if a rental car is stolen or
damaged? It can happen on either side of the border.

Your friends aren't doing you any favors. I'm heading back to the
Yucatan again next month. It will be the first time I've flown there instead
of driving from the States. I'll rent a car and keep my own schedule. The
highway from Cancun to Tulum is one of the few places in Mexico I don't mind
driving at night. It's a modern highway with reasonable traffic enforcement.
Tourists are a big part of the local economy and they're generally well
treated. In cities like Merida and Playa del Carmen I'll find someplace with
security to park the car. It's generally easier to find secure parking in
Mexico than it is in the States. In small towns and less well known
archaelogical sites I usually park some place very visible and don't worry
about it.

With your concerns you might be better off using public transportation,
but even renting a taxi would probably be cheaper than taking a tour and
certainly far less restrictive.

Dennis

Old October 28th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Gert Bukacek

Thank you very much!

I'm really glad and on the other hand amazed that already many people cared
about my problem.

However as I heard pros and cons I'd be delighted for some further
statements.

Buki

Old October 28th, 2003, 05:38 PM
news.verizon.net

I agree there should be different opinions on whether one prefers to drive
or else travel by bus. It depends on how much money you are willing to spend
as well as some important personal preferences. I really enjoy taking
Mexican busses and I often do long distances at night as I sleep well,
saving a lot of time. I will only rent a car for a day if I need to get to
an otherwise inaccessible place. That said, when the day comes that I can
travel for longer periods of time I will try Technobarbarian's way with low
value, older, smallish, (Diesel) motorhome.

The only thing I feel must be said is that organized tour busses are the
worst most awful way to travel for all the reasons already cited: late
arrival at sites of interest, early departure, the crowd on the bus,
annoying stops at souvenir shops and bad restaurants, etc.

Louisg

Old October 28th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Caveat

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:25:54 -0700, "Technobarbarian"
wrote:

...I'm heading back to the
Yucatan again next month. It will be the first time I've flown there instead
of driving from the States. I'll rent a car and keep my own schedule. The
highway from Cancun to Tulum is one of the few places in Mexico I don't mind
driving at night. It's a modern highway with reasonable traffic enforcement.
Tourists are a big part of the local economy and they're generally well
treated. In cities like Merida and Playa del Carmen I'll find someplace with
security to park the car. It's generally easier to find secure parking in
Mexico than it is in the States. In small towns and less well known
archaelogical sites I usually park some place very visible and don't worry
about it...

The el cheapo car we rented in Acapulco a couple of weeks ago came
equipped with a burglar alarm as standard equipment! When you turned
the key to the right in the driver's door, it armed (and beeped the
horn twice). It was a Chevrolet "Chevy" economico model, with A/C. We
rented it from Alamo for $113 for a whole week (insurance was extra)
with unlimited mileage. Nice little car. Due to the alarm we never
worried about anyone stealing it. And since it came with Mexican
plates and no rental stickers, the locals took it as a local's car.

Caveat

Old October 28th, 2003, 11:58 PM
SBrav

Initially I wanted to rent a car. But after some good advice of friends I
am reconsidering this intention.

I'd be pleased to receive your oppinion on that. (perhaps new
advantages/disadvantages and conclusion!!)

It's largely a matter of personal preference, but I found the Yucatan very easy
(and affordable) to navigate by bus and taxi. You get the freedom of setting
your own schedule without the hassle of a car. Hope you have fun either way!

Old October 30th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Julie

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:38:13 GMT, "news.verizon.net"
wrote:

The only thing I feel must be said is that organized tour busses are the
worst most awful way to travel for all the reasons already cited: late
arrival at sites of interest, early departure, the crowd on the bus,
annoying stops at souvenir shops and bad restaurants, etc.

There are smaller tours available (or there were when I was in Merida
three years ago). We booked one through our hotel and it cost us,
IIRC, around $35US each. We were picked up by our guide in a
people-carrier type car and there were only four other people on the
trip (a Canadian, an American and a Mexican grandmother taking her
granddaughter to see the sites as a birthday treat). The guide was
incredibly knowledgable and it was nice to have only six people in the
group. The tour we went on took us to Kabah, Uxmal and one of the
other smaller sites. We set out at 9 a.m. and got back to our hotel
in the late afternoon.

Having said that, we did also hire a car for one day and had no
problems. We did get stopped at one military checkpoint and our
passports were checked. The soldiers were polite and just waved us on
after seeing the passports.

Julie S

Old November 7th, 2003, 03:53 AM
Richard Ferguson

I would note that the Yucatan is relatively easy to drive around in,
compared to many other parts of Mexico. I like a car for going to
remote ruins or villages off the beaten path to see old churches.

I have found day tours, available from hotels or local travel agencies,
to be generally affordable and reasonably convenient, usually
informative, and often the cheapest way to get to a remote ruin, etc,
especially for one or two people.

If you avoid driving at night, drive defensively, and get Mexican
insurance with the rental car, it is reasonably safe. You will be
stopped by men with guns, smile, open the trunk if they ask, watch them
work, and you will be on your way in a minute.

Richard