Viking Danube crusie questions

Old March 17th, 2010, 10:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Val Kraut

Default Viking Danube crusie questions

We're taking a Viking Danube cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg in the late
spring. Will spend two extra days in Prague at the end. Our first river
cruise. Obviously much different from HAL.
Looking for suggestions from those who have taken one of these in the past.
In particular things to do in free time and the currency/credit card
traditions in each country. The net seems to indicate that travelers checks
aren't generally accepted and that local currencies are more popular than
the Euro in some countries. I also saw one note that said a Visa sign in the
window doesn't guarantee they'll take it - ask first.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Val and Marilyn Kraut

Old March 18th, 2010, 12:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_6_]

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 18:35:52 -0400, "Val Kraut"
wrote:

We're taking a Viking Danube cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg in the late
spring. Will spend two extra days in Prague at the end. Our first river
cruise. Obviously much different from HAL.
Looking for suggestions from those who have taken one of these in the past.
In particular things to do in free time and the currency/credit card
traditions in each country. The net seems to indicate that travelers checks
aren't generally accepted and that local currencies are more popular than
the Euro in some countries. I also saw one note that said a Visa sign in the
window doesn't guarantee they'll take it - ask first.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Val and Marilyn Kraut

ATMs are the best way to get currency (be sure that it is a debit
transaction or interest will accrue from the time of withdrawl.) There
isn't a lot of free time on most river cruises as they have plenty of
included tours. However, when you do you will be right in the heart of
things on your own in all cities but Nuremburg and Vienna. Nuremburg
is really a bus tour awayfrom the ship but the city center is really
great for exploring and you will have time to wander. Vienna has easy
mass transit from the river boat pier to the city center.

Is it worth it to take music event like chamber music in vienna?
Having done it and been crowded into a too small chamber to listen to
music designed for people wandering around at a party, I would say no,
No and NO, but that is just me. Some people really think it is cool.
(it will be warm!)
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:19:24 -0400, Joseph Coulter
wrote:

Is it worth it to take music event like chamber music in vienna?
Having done it and been crowded into a too small chamber to listen to
music designed for people wandering around at a party, I would say no,
No and NO, but that is just me. Some people really think it is cool.

Hi Joseph,

I agree with all of your points except I had a very different
experience going to a beautiful venue for chamber music that my cruise
line organized. I guess Your Mileage May Vary. :+)
--
Ray Goldenberg 800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
Lighthouse Travel http://www.lighthousetravel.com