driving across the USA - provisional itinerary

Old November 30th, 2003, 07:04 PM
fishman

Default driving across the USA - provisional itinerary

"Dennis P. Harris" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 03:12:43 GMT in rec.travel.usa-canada,
"DiggerDog" wrote:

You're forgetting visitors usually haven't seen the kind of
things that you consider an armpit. They are often fascinated by
miles of flat land, lack of trees, grazing cattle, cactus
growing, scenic canyons, oil derricks,
etc.

well, maybe that's because i grew up in and live in a bigger
state than texas, that has real mountains.

and i have seen much of texas, except for the east texas which
made another poster wax poetic. sorry, i live in a rain forest,
and a "forest" of spindly dried out pines is not my idea of a
forest.

Luckily, there are more opinions than yours in the world. Probably, you
wouldn't care for the Everglades, either - but it's my piece of nature and I
like it. Haven't made it to Alaska yet, but I'm still saving up for the
cruise..... vbg

Chris

Old December 1st, 2003, 01:13 AM
Karl Wagner

Default Route 66 (was: driving across the USA - provisional itinerary)

"DiggerDog" wrote in message
Why would anyone from Europe care about Route 66? It may be dear
to your heart because of its history but in the final analysis it
is just an old road and almost none of it original anyhow.

We aren't talking about the Via Appia here.

Route 66 is a fabled road in the U.S. See especially The Grapes of

Wrath.

You're not serious, surely? Even Americans have a sense of history, every
now and again, and whilst it may be short, it's still US history (when were
you born, if I may ask? Probably too late to appreciate music from the 50s
and 60s.). Who knows, may be your ancestors drove down the 66, in search of
a better life?
Try the quote below, and tell me if this doesn't ring a bell with
you:

If one delirious post-World War II definition was being able to get in your
automobile, turn the ignition, put the pedal to the metal and go anywhere
you wanted to, then Route 66 offered an asphalt of independence that
stretched all the way from the wind-buffeted shores of Lake Michigan in
Chicago to the balmy beaches of the Pacific in sunny Santa Monica.

For 2,448 miles, it was one glorious, eight-state road show. For the scores
of communities and thousands of businesses it once serviced, it became the
Main Street of America.

Although it began in 1926 during a national movement to standardize
America's highways, Route 66 is best remembered for the way it fuelled the
United States in the '30s, '40s and '50s. It offered its own high-octane
brand of manifest destiny.

First came the penniless, dispossessed Okies and Arkies, escaping the
dust-choked farmlands, westbound in rattletrap roadsters during the '30s.
They came to life as the Joads, clattering California-bound in a cut-down
Hudson Super-Six on "... the mother road, the road of flight..." in John
Steinbeck's epic 1939 novel, "The Grapes of Wrath": "Tom, they's a hunderds
of families like us all a-goin' west. It's like they was runnin' away from
soldiers... like the whole country was movin'."

After World War II, the entire country seemed to be doing just that, fueled
by tens of thousands of ex-GIs longing for a better look at the America they
had fought for, and wanting to see what the country held in store for them.

Paved since 1937, that shimmering, black ribbon of highway beckoned.
Bedazzled, the veterans cut loose, heading for the Promised Land, just
beyond the setting sun. One of them, a likeable young Pennsylvanian named
Bobby Troup, listened to the rhythm of that road. Bound for what he hoped
would be a lucrative West Coast music career, he left Harrisburg in his
green '41 Buick convertible in the summer of '46. Slipping onto Route 66 in
Chicago, he arrived in Los Angeles 10 days later with a new song that caught
the ear of Nat King Cole, who quickly turned it into a hit that became the
anthem of the asphalt: "If you ever plan to motor west, take my way, the
highway that's the best. Get your kicks on Route 66". (Bobby's wife,
Cynthia, however, said: "For me it was more of a long road with cheap hotels
and restaurants. Besides, I really don't understand why Albuquerque's
missing in the song.")

Route 66 helped raise a new crop of vocabulary words for a country that
hungered for the open road and thirsted for the automobile. Some of the
words identified the new businesses that began to service an increasingly
mobile public: motels, fast-food drive-ins, service stations, convenience
stores, commercial strips, strip mall, shopping malls, parking lots, and
drive-in theaters. Fast food was the fare of drive-in restaurants. Burgers
and fries became inseparable.

Along the highway were billboards and Burma-Shave signs, "jingles", signs in
short distances to be read in sequence, e.g.:

He had the ring
He had the flat
But she felt his chin
And that
Was that.

She put a bullet
Thru his hat
But he's had closer
Shaves than that.

There were retooled cars everywhere sporting bigger engines. The words
became abbreviations, then brand names. The eight-cylinder overhead valve
engine became the V-8. Chevrolet's ultimate sports car, the Corvette, became
the 'vette. Ford and Pontiac countered with the Mustang and the Firebird.
Motorcycles became hogs and choppers, then Harleys. At truck plazas, all
trucks were Mack and all truck engines seemed Peterbilt.

Swing and be-bop surrendered to Elvis, Little Richard, and Buddy Holly who
belted out rock and roll tunes from car radios, as teenagers in hot rods,
street rods, roadsters, and muscle cars cruised America's Main Street on
warm Saturday nights bathed in Route 66's signature signage, neon.

As the heartbeat of America accelerated into the '50s and '60s in an era of
unparalleled prosperity, so did the volume and speed of the nation's
affordable automobiles and a commensurate need for a vast, national network
of bigger, faster highways.

But by then a Federal Interstate Highway system that had begun in 1956 was
spreading across the landscape. The Highway Beautification Act of 1965 put
an end to individually, often crassly designed service stations acting as
their own advertisement. Standardized gas stations and chain motels took
over. Waving and cleaning hands were replaced by digital pumps operated by
credit cards. In 1985, after the last segment had been bypassed by the I-40
the year before, Route 66 was decommissioned and passed into history.

But its legacy endures. Some of its gas stations, garages, and service
stations, and tourist cabins, tourist courts and motor-hotels, survive. Many
of its hundreds of architecturally and historically significant motels,
hotels, restaurants and cafes, some of them protected by preservation
covenants and clustered in historic districts, are undergoing restoration.
But most importantly of all, that ribbon of highway is still there,
connecting them all, and calling out to everyone who yearns for yesterday.

(Inspired by a brochure from "New Mexico Mainstreet", and "Route 66" by H.
Schmidt-Brümmer)

Old December 1st, 2003, 05:36 AM
Eric Holeman

In article ,
rob tyler wrote:

well, you're right ... Philadelphia will be my first experience of the US
after the controls of JFK - which from reports i am not looking forward to
with anticipation of much efficiency - (any idea how we drive there - is it
easy to bypass new york?)

Well, you can always fly into Philadelphia or Washington. Or Atlanta, for
that matter. The only reason to fly into NYC is if you're going to NYC,
or if you're getting a super-cheap fare, and even then, it doesn't take
but a few extra nights' hotels to negate that.

Other than that, the location of JFK airport on Long Island means that
you're going to be driving through a fair chunk of NYC.

As for the rest of your itinerary, limiting the long stretches of driving
is a wise move. Be sure and take the time to explore the non-Interstate
connections between cities. While in the South, follow your nose and
locals' advice to the local barbecue joints. Unless I missed it, your
itinerary didn't take the Natchez Trace, which is one of the more pleasant
drives you'll find anywhere. Speed limits are strictly enforced.

--
---
Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA
Old December 1st, 2003, 05:42 AM
Eric Holeman

In article ,
Nile wrote:

Yes, definitely do this.

Thirded. It was a fascinating detour, with rugged scenery, and minimal
traffic and population, apart from a few towns in the Indian reservation.
Watch for the jetliner graveyard as you approach Kingman from the north.

--
---
Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA
Old December 1st, 2003, 09:37 PM
Jack Lurker

rob tyler wrote:

We have now put together a rough outline of the itinerary for our drive
across the USA from New York to San Francisco via New Orleans and Santa Fe.
This is my first trip to the USA.

We have had many useful suggestions from the newsgroup and our route and
places to stay are rough guides as to the final journey. We would love to
hear of any recommended towns along the route that would offer more
interesting stopping places; and any other suggestions or comments. We are a
bit wary now as to the weather conditions in the South West in particular.

And the important question is: What should we not miss? Which features along
the route or involving a reasonable detour would you recommend we include.

29th December, Monday Las Vegas NV 275 miles

30th December, Tuesday Bakersfield CA 286 miles

New Years Eve, Wednesday San Francisco CA 288 miles

New Years Day, Thursday San Francisco CA 0 miles

2nd January, Friday explore the Californian coast

3rd January, Saturday day off

4th January, Sunday San Francisco: Fly back to London

Approximately 4000 miles for the trip

Rob,

I have read all of the suggestions given to you so far and am surprised no
one has suggested the following given your stated preferences. I would suggest
that from Las Vegas, you take highway 160 just South of the city to highway
372/178 and make a small detour through Death Valley National Park. You can see
the lowest elevation point in the US along with grand vistas and pastel-hued
hills.

I agree with a previous poster, that Bakersfield should only be concidered
an overnight stop, not a destination (I know whereof I speak, I live 100 miles
North of Bakersfield and have friends there).

Above all, enjoy.

Jack Lurker

Old December 2nd, 2003, 02:00 AM
DiggerDog

OK, OK. I get the point. You love Route 66, which is fine. I
love the old road too.
I'm old enough to be your grandfather and I grew up beside 66 and
traveled the western
half from Oklahoma City to Los Angeles half a dozen times back
when it was a two
lane blacktop with no shoulders.
BUT, I'm not a first-time visitor from London, and I'm willing
to bet they won't see the
romance of that period while staring at one of the few still
remaining pieces of pot-holed
asphalt when they could be staring at the Grand Canyon, visiting
the Indians at Acoma, viewing
petroglyphs, touring old missions, etc.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 03:36 AM
Karl Wagner

"DiggerDog" wrote in message

OK, OK. I get the point. You love Route 66, which is fine. I
love the old road too.
I'm old enough to be your grandfather and I grew up beside 66 and
traveled the western
half from Oklahoma City to Los Angeles half a dozen times back
when it was a two
lane blacktop with no shoulders.
BUT, I'm not a first-time visitor from London, and I'm willing
to bet they won't see the
romance of that period while staring at one of the few still
remaining pieces of pot-holed
asphalt when they could be staring at the Grand Canyon, visiting
the Indians at Acoma, viewing
petroglyphs, touring old missions, etc.

Fair enough. No offence intended. You obviously know a lot more about Route
66 than I do.
And you're right - the canyons of the south-west ARE spectacular! And,
today, as it happens, I was once more admiring the missions at San Antonio,
TX...

Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:04 AM
Keith Willshaw

"DiggerDog" wrote in message

OK, OK. I get the point. You love Route 66, which is fine. I
love the old road too.
I'm old enough to be your grandfather and I grew up beside 66 and
traveled the western
half from Oklahoma City to Los Angeles half a dozen times back
when it was a two
lane blacktop with no shoulders.
BUT, I'm not a first-time visitor from London, and I'm willing
to bet they won't see the
romance of that period while staring at one of the few still
remaining pieces of pot-holed
asphalt when they could be staring at the Grand Canyon, visiting
the Indians at Acoma, viewing
petroglyphs, touring old missions, etc.

As somone from London who drove the road in 2001 I'd have
to disagree with you. Most visitors have read one or more of the
guide books and know very much what to look for and I'll
bet a good many take side trips to the sights along the way.

The Grand Canyon, Acoma, Taos, Santa Fe etc were all part
of my itinerary,

Keith

Old December 2nd, 2003, 07:19 PM
rob tyler

"Jack Lurker" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that Jack - I've noted your suggestion.
And all the others: fantastic advice. Thanks to all of you. I didnt think
I'd be blessed with some 80 replies when I first wrote the question. It's
only 2 weeks away now and seems to be coming upon me with ever increasing
acceleration.....

Old December 2nd, 2003, 07:31 PM
steve

I have good times wherever we have gone. We have never found there is
'nothing to see or do' even in remote areas.
Each section of US is different to the next but my personal favourite has to
be Texas (I am a cowboy at heart) but for beauty you can't beat BC (Canada)
We try to do all the 'touristy' things but also try some un-touristy days
out and do the things that the locals do, they are always pleased to see you
and are amazed that you have come all the way from merrie England to see
there little store, yard sale, bar, school fete chilli cook out etc.
Steve
"rob tyler" wrote in message
hi steve
- looks like you've been there and done some...........
- where do you recommend?

"steve" wrote in message
Have a look at my website it may give you a few ideas of where to visit

or
avoid on your journey.
Good luck
Steve
London UK
www.usatouring.co.uk

"rob tyler" wrote in message
[...]

13th December, Saturday Fly to New York JFK drive to Philadelphia PA

106
miles

14th December, Sunday past Washington to Roanake VA 378 miles

15th December, Monday to Knoxville TA 260 miles

16th December, Tuesday Chattanooga TA 112 miles

17th December, Wednesday Tuscaloosa AL 204 miles

18th December, Thursday New Orlreans LS 291 miles

19th December, , Friday New Orleans LS 0 miles

20th December, Saturday Beaumont TX 261 miles

21th December, Sunday Austin TX 248 miles

22th December, Monday Sheffield TX 317 miles

23rd December, Tuesday Carslbad, NM 210 miles

Christmas Eve, Wednesday Santa Fe NM 267 miles

Christmas Day, Thursday Santa Fe NM 0 miles

26th December, , Friday Gallup NM 198 miles

27th December, Saturday Flagstaff AZ 185 miles

28th December, Sunday Flagstaff & Grand Canyon 77 miles