driving across the USA - provisional itinerary

Old December 3rd, 2003, 07:31 AM
Lonewackodotcom

Default driving across the USA - provisional itinerary

Texas is not worth driving across. IMHO the only 2 cities in
Texas worth seeing are Austin and San Antonio, and the only rural
area worth seeing is Big Bend National Park. The rest of Texas
is a very flat wasteland, sparsely populated by folks that have
an inflated opinion of Texas.

It hasn't taken me over three weeks to drive across TX just because it's a big
state. Sure, I entered NM for a few days, but now I'm in El Paso. S.A. is quite
interesting, but I'm not so sure about Austin. There's also Dallas, Waco, the
"Hill" country, the forts, Alpine, lots of state parks (I'm headed for Hueco
tanks tomorrow or the next day), the Caverns of Sonora, Guadalupe Peak N.P.
(did the peak, I hope to return for a few others in the park), nearby Carlsbad
Caverns N.P. (I was unfortunately unable to take one of the guided cave tours,
they were booked up), items of historical interest, snake farms, etc. etc. It's
not so flat once you're west of the Pecos, but then again aside from
local/state/national parks most of the land is private and you can't access it.
There are a couple of books that I've glanced at where the author has gone out
to the "wasteland" looking for wacky people doing wacky things. I can't find
them on amazon, but they're available in the bookstores here. There's also one
specific to San Antonio, but with more of a historical focus. As far as
Sheffield goes, I don't know what it looks like on the I10, but the part on the
highway loop is not somewhere I'd like to stop. Fort Stockton isn't so bad as
far as highway stops go.
-- Lonewacko: I'm Still Blogging Across America
http://lonewacko.com/blog
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:59 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 19:31:38 -0000 in rec.travel.usa-canada,
"steve" wrote:

We try to do all the 'touristy' things but also try some un-touristy days
out and do the things that the locals do, they are always pleased to see you
and are amazed that you have come all the way from merrie England to see
there little store, yard sale, bar, school fete chilli cook out etc.

I tried to do the same in England and Scotland. Shopped at
jumble sales, attended country church breakfast, small town pie
sale (yum!), attended folk festivals, visited a garden show. The
weirdest, though was just around the corner in Victoria, London,
from where I was staying with a friend.

Posters advertised a Sunday afternoon puppet show in the upstairs
of our local pub, with chili(!), and admission was only 2 pounds.
My girlfriend and I got a strange look from the publican who had
come to know us in a few short weeks (she a Kiwi, me an American)
as he pointed us to the stairs to his meeting room.

We discovered why when the political puppet theater was
introduced: this was a meeting of the Westminster chapter of the
Communist Party of Britain! The puppet theatre, featuring Maggie
Thatcher and Ronnie Reagan puppets, was somewhat funny. The
pedantic poetry that followed after, however, was dreadful, and
we left.

Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:05 PM
Brian Wasson

Default Route 66 (was: driving across the USA - provisional itinerary)

Having traveled a lot in Western Europe, I can definitely say that Rt.
66 holds almost mythical status over there! You'll see "Rt. 66"
restaurants, clubs, clothing, and even backpacks. Browsing through
bookstores in Germany, Austria, the Netherlands, etc., you'll find
plenty of guidebooks on the route. I think it embodies much of what
Europeans think of America.. the wide-open motoring, the West, etc.
Whether or not the actual experience matches the myth is another thing
(kind of like driving the Alaska highway).

However, it's still a good "destination" route for those looking to
come explore the American West.

As somone from London who drove the road in 2001 I'd have
to disagree with you. Most visitors have read one or more of the
guide books and know very much what to look for and I'll
bet a good many take side trips to the sights along the way.

The Grand Canyon, Acoma, Taos, Santa Fe etc were all part
of my itinerary,

Keith

Old December 3rd, 2003, 07:39 PM
Jim Battista

Hatunen wrote in
:

Once upon a time the experience could come pretty close to
matching the myth, but, of course, no more.

To do it right one should drive it in summer without car air
conditioning...

....but in a gimongous old convertible with the top down and everybody's
outboard arms hanging out gettin' sunburned. And listening to Buddy
Holly, or early Motown.

Some stretches are to be avoided, though, being utterly and completely
miserable, too rough to hit fun speeds on, and with nothing much worth
seeing. There's a stretch north of Twentynine Palms CA that we took
between Joshua Tree and Death Valley that's just... damn.

--
Jim Battista
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 09:27 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Jim Battista" wrote in message
.. .
Hatunen wrote in
:

Once upon a time the experience could come pretty close to
matching the myth, but, of course, no more.

To do it right one should drive it in summer without car air
conditioning...

...but in a gimongous old convertible with the top down and everybody's
outboard arms hanging out gettin' sunburned. And listening to Buddy
Holly, or early Motown.

Some stretches are to be avoided, though, being utterly and completely
miserable, too rough to hit fun speeds on, and with nothing much worth
seeing. There's a stretch north of Twentynine Palms CA that we took
between Joshua Tree and Death Valley that's just... damn.

Fascinating is the word that I'd choose. The ghost towns , boarded
up gas stations and stores and wild nature of the land are an object
lesson in huumility IMHO.

Keith

Old December 3rd, 2003, 11:08 PM
rob tyler

"steve" wrote:

[...]

Oooopppss!!
Earnest but dull.
I trust the equivalent wouldnt be a still extant KKK meeting in a small bar
in Alabama. No: there's no equivalence...
I have a clear idea of the bit from Texas onward so far; with all the
replies I've had and the books i've look at, but I'm not at all sure what
the NY to NO section ( about a week ) will be like . I suppose it will be
the closest to our English/European culture and landscape.
Are we really the same or have we grown apart?
Guess I'll soon find out....

Old December 3rd, 2003, 11:42 PM
rob tyler

Interesting that you say Texas: so many replies are divided on its
attraction.
How do you stand on the Senora versus the Carlsbad Caverns?
Is Austin or Houston best?
Oh: I just gone through your website. Extremely well done and useful: I 've
printed it all out. Hope that's OK. Been there and done that you have...

"steve" wrote in message
I have good times wherever we have gone. We have never found there is
'nothing to see or do' even in remote areas.
Each section of US is different to the next but my personal favourite has

be Texas (I am a cowboy at heart) but for beauty you can't beat BC

(Canada)
We try to do all the 'touristy' things but also try some un-touristy days
out and do the things that the locals do, they are always pleased to see

you
and are amazed that you have come all the way from merrie England to see
there little store, yard sale, bar, school fete chilli cook out etc.
Steve
"rob tyler" wrote in message
hi steve
- looks like you've been there and done some...........
- where do you recommend?

"steve" wrote in message
Have a look at my website it may give you a few ideas of where to

visit
or
avoid on your journey.
Good luck
Steve
London UK
www.usatouring.co.uk

"rob tyler" wrote in message
We have now put together a rough outline of the itinerary for our

drive
across the USA from New York to San Francisco via New Orleans and

Santa
Fe.
This is my first trip to the USA.

We have had many useful suggestions from the newsgroup and our route

and
places to stay are rough guides as to the final journey. We would

love
hear of any recommended towns along the route that would offer more
interesting stopping places; and any other suggestions or comments.

We
are
bit wary now as to the weather conditions in the South West in

particular.

And the important question is: What should we not miss? Which

features
along
the route or involving a reasonable detour would you recommend we

include.

13th December, Saturday Fly to New York JFK drive to Philadelphia PA

106
miles

14th December, Sunday past Washington to Roanake VA 378 miles

15th December, Monday to Knoxville TA 260 miles

16th December, Tuesday Chattanooga TA 112 miles

17th December, Wednesday Tuscaloosa AL 204 miles

18th December, Thursday New Orlreans LS 291 miles

19th December, , Friday New Orleans LS 0 miles

20th December, Saturday Beaumont TX 261 miles

21th December, Sunday Austin TX 248 miles

22th December, Monday Sheffield TX 317 miles

23rd December, Tuesday Carslbad, NM 210 miles

Christmas Eve, Wednesday Santa Fe NM 267 miles

Christmas Day, Thursday Santa Fe NM 0 miles

26th December, , Friday Gallup NM 198 miles

27th December, Saturday Flagstaff AZ 185 miles

28th December, Sunday Flagstaff & Grand Canyon 77 miles

29th December, Monday Las Vegas NV 275 miles

30th December, Tuesday Bakersfield CA 286 miles

New Years Eve, Wednesday San Francisco CA 288 miles

New Years Day, Thursday San Francisco CA 0 miles

2nd January, Friday explore the Californian coast

3rd January, Saturday day off

4th January, Sunday San Francisco: Fly back to London

Approximately 4000 miles for the trip

Old December 4th, 2003, 02:15 PM
steve

I missed Austin on my trip (mistake I have been told) but as I intend to go
to NM this time I will probably get to go then. Houston was OK took a day
visiting Space centre but weather was a BIT blowy (hurricane) so saw little
else. Dallas was definitley a MUST along with Fort Worth and San Antonio but
forget Galveston unless you have a fetish about dockyards.
Steve

Old December 4th, 2003, 10:37 PM
jjp

(Dennis P. Harris) wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 08:48:28 -0000 in rec.travel.usa-canada, "rob
tyler" wrote:

30th December, Tuesday Bakersfield CA 286 miles

Like most of Texas, Bakersfield is an armpit, not worth spending
*any* time in unless you like looking at oil derricks.

Since when was Texas all oil derricks?

Better to skip Bfield and go to Yosemite instead. It's waaaay
overcrowded in the summer, and might get busy during the
Christmas-New Year week, but it's spectacular any time.

You spend far too much time driving *every* day. I would drive
longer periods and spend more days in a given area. I also
suggest flying to someplace like New Orleans or Santa Fe and
starting from there.

Texas is not worth driving across.

I would agree unless one has A LOT of time; it is too much distance to
cover for most.

IMHO the only 2 cities in
Texas worth seeing are Austin and San Antonio, and the only rural
area worth seeing is Big Bend National Park. The rest of Texas
is a very flat wasteland, sparsely populated by folks that have
an inflated opinion of Texas.

How are Houston and Dallas -- two of the country's largest metro areas
-- considered "sparsely populated" ?

San Antonio is a good tourist town. Austin is okay for seeing the
state capital and maybe a few other things. IMO Houston is second to
San Antonio for visitors because it offers some good attractions
(NASA, San Jacinto), a very nice downtown, and great restaurants,
shopping, and art/culture.