World's Grandest Liner Makes First Visit to NYC!

Old April 25th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Benjamin Smith

Default World's Grandest Liner Makes First Visit to NYC!

Charles wrote:

In article , Warren
H. Davis wrote:

New Yorkers hardly take notice when any other ship makes a NY debut. Ben is
correct. QM2 is something else.

New York is not the world though. The media made it a big deal there so
of course people there were interested.

Some people have a sense of romance with ships that for whatever seems
to escape you. You're making it sound like people are just following the
media and have no feelings of their own or are into the spirit of an
event. That's a slight. The media have made big deals of other events in
NYC and people shrugged.

New York may not be the world but it certainly is one of the world's
MAJOR cities. I'm not even a big fan of the city but it is one of the
world's great cities, along with Paris, Rome, London.

Ben

Old April 25th, 2004, 03:28 PM
BTC/TAK on ACK

New York is not the world though. The media made it a big deal there so
of course people there were interested.

NY is not "the world", certainly... but its size and diversity does result
in its often being a "mirror" of world interests.

In any event, it's not just NY that's responding to the QM2. I recall notice
being taken in Southampton, Fort Lauderdale, Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro,
etc. In Rio, for example, there were huge traffic jams [I, in fact, happened
to get stuck in them a few times while it was in port there] caused by
locals coming by to get a look at the ship.

Of course media coverage has a lot to do with stirring up public interest in
NY... doesn't it everywhere?

Mila

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

--
Charles

Old April 25th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Charles

In article . net,
Benjamin Smith wrote:

Some people have a sense of romance with ships that for whatever seems
to escape you. You're making it sound like people are just following the
media and have no feelings of their own or are into the spirit of an
event. That's a slight. The media have made big deals of other events in
NYC and people shrugged.

Because I am not convinced about a behemoth ship? I have an open mind
about it. I think it is early too decide whether this is a ship to be
romantic about. I certainly will consider a crossing on her in a year
or two. I discount any early problems that have been reported.

I agree with you, I am not a ship buff. I am more into having a
relaxing vacation and enjoying the warm waters, snorkeling, and sun of
the Caribbean. I find it even difficult to book Alaska!!! Europe to me
is a land vacation. I could see doing a land vacation in Europe and
returning on the QM2.

--
Charles
Old April 25th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Charles

In article , BTC/TAK on ACK
wrote:

NY is not "the world", certainly... but its size and diversity does result
in its often being a "mirror" of world interests.

I have lived there, have relatives there, and have been there quite a
bit. Last week as a matter of fact. For all it's size and diversity New
York can be very insular.

--
Charles
Old April 25th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Tom & Linda

"BTC/TAK on ACK" wrote in message
New York is not the world though. The media made it a big deal there so
of course people there were interested.

NY is not "the world", certainly... but its size and diversity does result
in its often being a "mirror" of world interests.

In any event, it's not just NY that's responding to the QM2. I recall

notice
being taken in Southampton, Fort Lauderdale, Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro,
etc. In Rio, for example, there were huge traffic jams [I, in fact,

happened
to get stuck in them a few times while it was in port there] caused by
locals coming by to get a look at the ship.

And when Sovereign of the Seas first sailed into Miami... she stopped
traffic everywhere. Now nobody wants to go on her.

In a few years the QM2 will be docked in Cozumel with 18 other ships on a
crowded Tuesday. And people on the ultra mega super Voyager ship next to
her will stand on their top deck and look down at her... and wonder why they
don't give her a new coat of blue paint.

--Tom

Old April 25th, 2004, 06:06 PM
BTC/TAK on ACK

... For all it's size and diversity New York can be very insular...

Which can, of course, be said for most, perhaps all, of the words major
cities. I'm trying to think of one of those I am most familiar with that
isn't... and am drawing a blank. Certainly Paris, London, Rome, Moscow, Hong
Kong, Singapore, etc. are equally "limited" by being primarily focused on
themselves and their own "importance".

By the way, I also have lived in, have family in, frequently visit and think
I know what you mean by describing NY as "insular". I, however, think of it,
as I do the other cities I mentioned, as more "egocentric".

Mila

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old April 26th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Benjamin Smith

BTC/TAK on ACK wrote:

... For all it's size and diversity New York can be very insular...

Which can, of course, be said for most, perhaps all, of the words major
cities. I'm trying to think of one of those I am most familiar with that
isn't... and am drawing a blank. Certainly Paris, London, Rome, Moscow, Hong
Kong, Singapore, etc. are equally "limited" by being primarily focused on
themselves and their own "importance".

By the way, I also have lived in, have family in, frequently visit and think
I know what you mean by describing NY as "insular". I, however, think of it,
as I do the other cities I mentioned, as more "egocentric".

Mila

I agree. I moved away from NYC. I'm not a big city person anymore. I
will say, after witnessing the send off for the "Queens" yesterday
onboard a river cruise boat, that NYC feels spectacular for special and
unique events.

Ben S.

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old April 26th, 2004, 02:03 PM
BTC/TAK on ACK

... I moved away from NYC. I'm not a big city person anymore...
... NYC feels spectacular for special and
unique events.

[Me too... me either, well, not for now anyway]

I hope people understand [I have the feeling you do] my feeling that New
York Paris, London, Rome, Moscow, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. are somewhat
"limited" by their egocentricities is not meant to "put them down". It's
just the way "world class" cities are. [I'm tempted to believe it's the way
most large cities are.] In fact, the above are among my favorite places to
visit... I just wouldn't care to live in any of them... or in any large
city... at the moment. "Never again" is another story. I've "eaten crow"
over so many "never again" proclamations in my life I try [often, alas,
unsuccessfully] to avoid them. Small towns, I've found, can also have their
own "egocentricities"... some of which can be "limiting" and aggravating
also.

Mila

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message
ink.net...
BTC/TAK on ACK wrote:

[...]

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old April 26th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Benjamin Smith

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message . net...
[...]

Tom, most people on the ultra Voyager would think that the hull is
black. The difference in size of the ultra Voyager and QM 2 will be
negligible, the height should be similar with the QM 2's "waist" being
much higher. And, I strongly doubt you'll find QM 2 in Cozumel very
often. You may think so but this ship most likely will be doing
crossings, that's her purpose. She's replacing the aging QE 2. As for
maintenance, at least the QM 2 will likely be cleaner inside than the
ultra Voyager ships, and a lot more unique and luxurious.

Ben S.

--Tom

Old April 26th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Benjamin Smith

Charles wrote in message id...
In article . net,
Benjamin Smith wrote:

Some people have a sense of romance with ships that for whatever seems
to escape you. You're making it sound like people are just following the
media and have no feelings of their own or are into the spirit of an
event. That's a slight. The media have made big deals of other events in
NYC and people shrugged.

Because I am not convinced about a behemoth ship? I have an open mind
about it. I think it is early too decide whether this is a ship to be
romantic about. I certainly will consider a crossing on her in a year
or two. I discount any early problems that have been reported.

As a product you have an open mind. I ask you to see her as something
of wonder and imaginatiion, as something considered a part of "royal"
heritage, whether you buy into it or not.

As a ship I'm not surprised to see the mixed reviews, the references
to being Carnivalized, the disappointment in people's thinking that
she's not deserving of the name. Nor am I suprised to read of problems
in service, food issues, public relations issues. I'm not even
surprised by the mixed messages that seem to be sent by Cunard, are we
a traditional liner catering to the hardcore traditionalist or are we
a new Cunard that embraces a wider, younger clientele?

I also think it is too soon to establish anything.

I agree with you, I am not a ship buff. I am more into having a
relaxing vacation and enjoying the warm waters, snorkeling, and sun of
the Caribbean. I find it even difficult to book Alaska!!! Europe to me
is a land vacation. I could see doing a land vacation in Europe and
returning on the QM2.

I think there's a tendecy to give a business/marketing slant viewpoint
vs. a creative romantic viewpoint. I give the latter often and you
give the former. I think both sides are crucial. Without creativity
marketers would have nothing to market, without marketing few if any
would experience the creations. I feel it may be hard to balance the
two viewpoints but I find both are essential for defining products.
Marketing for redefining them and often exaggerating them. I don't
feel it is one or the other, both aspects are at play in most
products.

Ben S.