what is trekking

Old April 27th, 2004, 02:29 AM
BobG

Default what is trekking

ok looking at excurstions and this list for rainforests of St. Lucia.

it has it listed as a trek not a hike.

Rainforest Hikes: Explore the Rainforest Reserve with a guide from the
Forest and Lands Department on a 3½ hour trek. Visitors trek past indigenous
tree species and along paths lined with tinier plants, bromliads, orchids
and mushrooms. Throughout the tour, beautiful birds including the indigenous
St Lucia Parrot (Amazona Versicolor) can be seen. Emerging from the dark
shade of the forest into the open, a magnificent view of Mount Gimie, St
Lucia's highest peak. For more information contact Forest & Lands
Department.

ok I'm lost how hard is a trek, or is a trek easyer then a hike ??

thanks BobG

Old April 27th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Howie

BobG wrote:
ok looking at excurstions and this list for rainforests of St. Lucia.

it has it listed as a trek not a hike.

Rainforest Hikes: Explore the Rainforest Reserve with a guide from the
Forest and Lands Department on a 3½ hour trek. Visitors trek past indigenous
tree species and along paths lined with tinier plants, bromliads, orchids
and mushrooms. Throughout the tour, beautiful birds including the indigenous
St Lucia Parrot (Amazona Versicolor) can be seen. Emerging from the dark
shade of the forest into the open, a magnificent view of Mount Gimie, St
Lucia's highest peak. For more information contact Forest & Lands
Department.

ok I'm lost how hard is a trek, or is a trek easyer then a hike ??

thanks BobG

Hmmm? A trek is a long, difficult journey. So, I guess you're going to
be walking your ass off for 3 1/2 hours, without a break. Make sure you
have plenty of H2O

Howie

Old April 27th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"BobG" nospam_bob 4 cruise at hot.com wrote in message

ok I'm lost how hard is a trek, or is a trek easyer then a hike ??

thanks BobG

Bob, my dictionary says, * To travel slowly or with difficulty*. Depending
on your physical condition, you may have to choose whether or not to take
the excursion ~~ just in case it is both! ;-)

--Jean

Old April 27th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Lee

"BobG" nospam_bob 4 cruise at hot.com wrote in message ...
ok looking at excurstions and this list for rainforests of St. Lucia.

it has it listed as a trek not a hike.

Rainforest Hikes: Explore the Rainforest Reserve with a guide from the
Forest and Lands Department on a 3½ hour trek. Visitors trek past indigenous
tree species and along paths lined with tinier plants, bromliads, orchids
and mushrooms. Throughout the tour, beautiful birds including the indigenous
St Lucia Parrot (Amazona Versicolor) can be seen. Emerging from the dark
shade of the forest into the open, a magnificent view of Mount Gimie, St
Lucia's highest peak. For more information contact Forest & Lands
Department.

ok I'm lost how hard is a trek, or is a trek easyer then a hike ??

Usually, the excursion brochures have a kind of "code" that indicates
whether an excursion is low, moderate or strenuous as far as
participants' exertion goes. My guess is that a "trek" is a walk on
uneven 9not paved) terrain while a "hike" involves changes in
elevation, either climbing, descending or both.

Unless it's part of the description, I doubt something too strenuous
would be advertised to cruise customers. Even the excursions we've
participated in that have been listed as "strenuous" have been pretty
tame (with the exception of sea kayaking in Ocho Rios when we were
fighting a fierce wind the whole time).

Lee

thanks BobG

Old April 28th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Linda Coffman

A walk that is more strenuous than a stroll and not as tough as a climb?

A walk over terrain that isn't for wimps or the physically challenged?

Sounds like it could be one of those...

Linda

Old April 28th, 2004, 06:48 AM
Brian K

On 04/26/2004 9:29 PM BobG wrote:

ok looking at excurstions and this list for rainforests of St. Lucia.

it has it listed as a trek not a hike.

Rainforest Hikes: Explore the Rainforest Reserve with a guide from the
Forest and Lands Department on a 3½ hour trek. Visitors trek past indigenous
tree species and along paths lined with tinier plants, bromliads, orchids
and mushrooms. Throughout the tour, beautiful birds including the indigenous
St Lucia Parrot (Amazona Versicolor) can be seen. Emerging from the dark
shade of the forest into the open, a magnificent view of Mount Gimie, St
Lucia's highest peak. For more information contact Forest & Lands
Department.

ok I'm lost how hard is a trek, or is a trek easyer then a hike ??

thanks BobG

A hike is walking on a well traveled portion of the Apelatian Trail.
The path is well marked, terrain is even although it can change
elevation. A hike is something you can do on your own, with or without
a guide book.

A trek is instead of taking the train you take the spirit path or
initieates path up to Machu Pechu. The terrain may have rocks in it,
you will need to pace yourself because of the extreme changes in
altitude. Sections of the path may be washed out requiring basic level
mountain climbing skills. Treks usually involve a guide, they are not
something you do on your own. Trekking is for the physically fit, who
walk, hike or trek on a regular basis. It is not for people who's only
walking consists of moving from the Ez-Boy to the SUV in the garage.

In the context used here it could just be marketing. Is there a toll
free number you can call for further clarification? My excursion stuff
came with a number I could call if I had any questions.

Is there a size limit to how many people can sign up for the excursion?
If not, I would wait unil I was on the ship and could talk to the people
who know something about the excursions.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old April 28th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Doug McDonald

Lee wrote:

"BobG" nospam_bob 4 cruise at hot.com wrote in message ...

ok looking at excurstions and this list for rainforests of St. Lucia.

it has it listed as a trek not a hike.

At least in my trips, a "trek" has an actual meaning. And
I've been on over a dozen.

1) At least two weeks, usually three or more

2) at least 100 miles on foot, usually 200-300

3) well away from roads, usually crossing none at all the
whole trip

4) supported by animals or people carrying your gear, you need carry
only a small pack

5) if there are "hotels" they are supplied either by animals,
people, or helicopters bringing in supplies of all sorts; some
treks are all camping, others can occasionally pass a "hotel"
that is luxurious ... if you have to ask the price on these
latter sort, you likely will either faint or have been on one before.

Doug McDonald