Los Angeles to Paris Airfare

Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:43 PM
JohnT

"nitram" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:14:06 +0100, "JohnT"
wrote:

I agree with Evelyn about having as few transfers as possible, but
Heathrow
is the pits and Gatwick isn't a lot better. I regard Schiphol as a really
good transfer airport and most of the people there speak better English
than
I do.

Schiphol has the record for losing luggage
--
Martin

I have heard that, but it has never happened to me there.

Of my last 10 trips:

7 OK, including a 20 minute transfer (after Immigration/Customs) at DFW to
FLL where my luggage from NCL - LGW arrived OK.

BA lost my bags three times. They were not there at NCL. One was rail/fly
from Wengen in Switzerland via ZRH and LHR; the second was from PHX via LHR
and the third was a simple domestic flight from LGW. One each occasion the
bag was delivered, by taxi, within a day.

JohnT

Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:57 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

nitram wrote:

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:41:04 +0100,
(chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco)
wrote:

[]
For transfers, I tend to think the smaller the airport, the better.
Based on my recent experience at Schiphol, it seems to work fine until
there are problems. Thousands of passengers were being delayed the day I
was there with a really poor management of the KLM transfer desks.
There's plenty to do there if you are delayed though- and that's
something to consider I suppose.

Look for your luggage.

Despite their assurances to the contrary, our luggage went on a flight
four hours earlier than we did. If we'd known, we might have gone
immediately to the help desk at Manchester and retrieved it, instead of
waiting like chumps until the last piece of luggage came through!

Order two sausage rolls and then find that you only have enough cash
to pay for one and watch the girl throw one away.

Actually, we'd already experienced the world's rudest airport cafe
worker earlier that day- at Bergen. By contrast, Schiphol's were
magnificent!

Get mixed up with a bunch of oil rig workers in transit from somewhere
in the middle east and be impressed with how much H*in*k*n a man can
drink when he hasn't had a drop for 2 months.

Oh, like a Saturday night in any UK city then?

--
David Horne-
www.davidhorne.net
Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:00 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

nitram wrote:

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:43:29 +0100, "JohnT"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I agree with Evelyn about having as few transfers as possible, but
Heathrow
is the pits and Gatwick isn't a lot better. I regard Schiphol as a really
good transfer airport and most of the people there speak better English
than
I do.

Schiphol has the record for losing luggage

I have heard that, but it has never happened to me there.

I lost mine several times, but it always turned up eventually.

It happened to me so frequently on LHR connections, either going to the
US or from it, that I got used to it. Usually the luggage would be
delivered the same evening- so it wasn't a problem. Indeed, sometimes a
bonus when it was heavy luggage!

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:05 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

nitram wrote:

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:57:47 +0100,
(chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco)
wrote:

[]
Oh, like a Saturday night in any UK city then?

Except it was about 9 a.m.

Well, that's the fun about flying. It's always after 5pm airside!

--
David Horne-
www.davidhorne.net
Old June 3rd, 2005, 02:22 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Hatunen wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:21:17 -0700,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

wrote:

I'm looking to go to Paris in September after the peak traveling season
has passed. I did some search on the web and all the tickets were
around $800-$1000 round trip! Is this the going rate or should I expect
the price to be lower? If the price can be lower, will it drop in the
next couple month since I'm considering going in mid-late September
before the weather gets too cold. Thanks.

I suspect it's the going rate, these days. I paid about
$750 for the round trip, when I went last September, and
considering the rise in fuel prices, I'd expect to pay more
if I were to go again this coming September.

There are fares as low as $594 in October and Novemeber.

Granted, but the OP said September (there may be a reason he
must travel then). I've spent less other times, but my
other trips to Paris were in the winter.

Old June 3rd, 2005, 02:26 AM

wrote:

I agree with Evelyn about having as few transfers as possible, but Heathrow
is the pits and Gatwick isn't a lot better. I regard Schiphol as a really
good transfer airport and most of the people there speak better English than
I do.

Schiphol has the record for losing luggage

My first trip to Europe was with a tour group, and we
changed flights at Schipol (en route to Prague). Most of
the group had no problem, but one couple had their baggage
rerouted to Tangiers (or someplace else in North Africa)!
It caught up with them, but they were a bit underdressed for
the first rather elegant dinner we attended.

Old June 3rd, 2005, 02:31 AM

wrote:

[...]

Ever since Western Airlines (now defunct) managed to lose my
checked bag on a non-stop flight from LAX to MPLS, I've
always carried night clothes and a change of underclothing
in my carry-on, just in case! (Actually, they manged to do
it twice, IIRC - although it arrived special delivery to
where I was staying, within eight hours or so.)

Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:01 AM
Hatunen

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:22:45 -0700,

Hatunen wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:21:17 -0700,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

I suspect it's the going rate, these days. I paid about
$750 for the round trip, when I went last September, and
considering the rise in fuel prices, I'd expect to pay more
if I were to go again this coming September.

There are fares as low as $594 in October and Novemeber.

Granted, but the OP said September (there may be a reason he
must travel then).

I only mention it in case he doesn't have to travel then. And
pointing out that to travel when you must can mean paying higher
fares.

Old June 3rd, 2005, 06:49 AM
Bill McKee

Bill McKee wrote:

I'm looking to go to Paris in September after the peak traveling season
has passed. I did some search on the web and all the tickets were
around $800-$1000 round trip! Is this the going rate or should I expect
the price to be lower? If the price can be lower, will it drop in the
next couple month since I'm considering going in mid-late September
before the weather gets too cold. Thanks.

I suspect it's the going rate, these days. I paid about $750 for the
round trip, when I went last September, and considering the rise in fuel
prices, I'd expect to pay more if I were to go again this coming
September.

Last September paid $700 RT to Rome from LAX. Get the LA Times with the
travel section. I think Sunday. Call some to the people advertizing
there. We used FlyEurope, or something similar. Changed cpmputers, so
going from memory.

I prefer to use established airlines with as few transfers as possible,
and if I must change planes, to change in London where I more or less
speak the language. (I don't think Rome is any further from LAX than
Paris, and for the $50 difference, I would hardly consider it worth using
a cut-rate service.)

Flew Delta, with one change in Cincinnati. Seems to be an established
airline.

Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:03 PM
Hatunen

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 05:49:46 GMT, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

Flew Delta, with one change in Cincinnati. Seems to be an established
airline.

At the moment Delta isn't as well established as it once was.