Just Got Back from Malta

Old June 7th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Zichu

"tile" wrote in message

I do not agree about Celts.
Celts dominates over a large part of Europe
The Tribe BO founded Bologna(italy) but also the word Bohemia comes from
BO:

In order to solicit an appropriate response, would you care to clarify just
what, exactly, you don't agree with? I mentioned Celts because, in the
Celtic fringe of the UK, where I live, there are many instances of a common
trait which do not appear often in people from other parts of Europe. For
example, many of them are red haired with light skin which freckles easily
in the sun. Is it that which you don't agree with?

Celts, as a general rule, don't look much like Maltese people, although the
odd few pop up. My nephew is of predominantly Irish decent and he married a
dark haired Maltese girl and went to live on the Island. Incidentally, in a
very nice house which he had built himself from local stone but I digress. I
wouldn't be too surprised to see a Maltese baby with red hair and blue eyes
turning up in the next generation or two.

Bologna(Italy), where I have stayed on numerous occasions, is noted for many
fine things but I would hazard a guess that you would need to look long and
hard to uncover any Celtic influence. You would, I suspect, find more
pointers to its Etruscan origins as the town of Felsina and subsequently
it's Roman heritage after it became a colony and renamed Bononia or Bulaggna
in the local dialect. This eventually morphed in the present day name of
Bologna.

The present Region of Emilia used to be called Cisalpine Gaul (Gaul south of
the Alps) and the Gauls where indeed of Celtic decent but of different stock
to the ones I had in mind. More your Hibernian and Caledonian branch of the
family. Perhaps I should have rambled on a bit longer and specified the
genetic mapping of the Celts I used as an example.

Old June 7th, 2005, 07:07 PM
emilia

Zichu wrote:
"tile" wrote in message

[...]

The Maltese have amazing blue eyes. I was really stunned by how gorgeous
their eyes were. Also because of the dark golden skin, the eye color
just pops out. (Obviously not all of them but there was quite of number
of them.)
Old June 8th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Jack Campin - bogus address

[yellow stone buildings on Malta]
The houses are made of lime stone and I'm pretty sure they are used
in other med countries too, although I could be wrong. There are
fantastic villas and big houses jotted around Malta made of this
brick material.

And some way from the Med - Mardin in south-east Turkey is the same
colour for the same reason (including Deir-ul-Zaferan, the "Saffron
Monastery" a few miles out of town, which I believe I may have
mentioned is an expensively disappointing experience).

It isn't just "jotted" (you mean dotted, I think) - the whole of
Valletta is that colour, it's as dramatically yellow as Edinburgh's
New Town is dramatically grey.

I like both Mardin and Valletta as atmospheric places to walk round,
but Mardin wins hands down over the whole of Malta for food quality.
(Malta does however have street bread pudding vendors, and I have
been a bread pudding aficionado since my childhood in England, where
it was popularized as a result of wartime shortages).

: much of Malta's inheritance is in a direct line from the Phoenicians
: too.

Hmm. Bread pudding started out a sacrificial offering to Baal, then?
Or maybe it was carried in the panniers of Hannibal's elephants?

Old June 8th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Zichu

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message

Hmm. Bread pudding started out a sacrificial offering to Baal, then?
Or maybe it was carried in the panniers of Hannibal's elephants?

Was that meant to be a whimsical comment, Jack?

There is very little evidence to support your claim that Hannibal took his
elephants to Malta.

There was a shop in Sliema which was famous throughout the British Navy, in
years gone by, for it's Cheesecake but I don't expect that had much to do
with it's ancient links from Phoenicia either

Old June 8th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Des Small

"Zichu" writes:

There was a shop in Sliema which was famous throughout the British Navy, in
years gone by, for it's Cheesecake but I don't expect that had much to do
with it's ancient links from Phoenicia either

Of course not, cheesecake is the legacy of the glorious Celtic empire.

Des