Amasra Accommodation--Kusna Pansiyon

Old June 20th, 2005, 12:06 AM

Default Amasra Accommodation--Kusna Pansiyon

Kusna Pansyion seems brand-spanking new, but its real appeal
is its idyllic location. You essentially look down upon your
own private inlet with the waves crashing against the rocks,
with the Black Sea before you, and with a long stone's throw to
your left an uninhabited (by humans) island, chock-a-block
with birds chirping 24/7. You even have your own private beach,
admittedly rocky but nonetheless, with some effort, perfectly
usable for sunbathing and maybe even fishing. The beach is
easily accessible through a series of steps leading down
to it, where there is also a working garden and a small
fishing shack inhabited by an eccentric Turk.

The pansiyon itself has six rooms, each with its own full
bath and, being brand-new or close to it, everything works.
There are two floors, with three rooms on each floor.
We thought the nicest room was room six, on the top and
on the right as you face the beach. It had windows facing
both the beach and on the right-side, thus giving the
possibility of a cross-breeze. On the other hand, below
that right-side window is the pansiyon's patio, so it's
possible that there might be noise from the patio from other
guests if you were unlucky. In that case, the upstairs
room on the left (I think it was number 5) could be better;
it doesn't have a side window, but it does have the windows
facing the beach, and could be quieter. The upper floor
also has a balcony looking out over the beach; presumably
everyone in the pansiyon would have access to it, but it
is easier to get to from the upper floor.

The pansiyon is also within an easy five to ten minute
walk from the town itself, just over the top of the
hill and old castle and down the hill's other side. But you
feel like you are miles away.

Getting to the pansiyon from where the dolmus drops you
off is easy enough, and do-able with a bit of effort, even
if you have luggage. The dolmus drop-off is at a four-corners
with the PTT (post office) on one corner. Two of the streets
at the four-corners are asphalt and two brick. You want
to start walking down one of the two brick streets with
a park on your left (you will see the small bay through
the park and its trees).

As the park ends in a long block or two (it helps to be on
that side of the street), the street veers slightly to the
right, and you will see the castle and hill a few blocks
straight ahead. Walk to the end of the street and up three
flights of stairs, then turn right. You will be walking
with the castle and hill to your left and an iron railing
to your right, looking down on the town. Continue straight
ahead until the railing ends (the large bay will begin to
appear as you do so). Then continue straight ahead (don't
go right, back down into town!) through a couple of openings
in the castle wall. Make an almost immediate hairpin turn
left, under a bower of roses and honeysuckle, and for about
20 or 30 feet you will be going back in the other direction
towards the castle wall again. Perforce you will then have
to turn right, walking another 20 or 30 feet to a small road.
Turn left there onto the road, walk through two more openings
in the castle wall, and you will see a big sign for the
pansiyon, which will be down some steps on your right.

Alternately, as you begin walking down the brick road, you
will see a commercial tourist agency across the road. They
don't speak English or any other European language, but
they will probably be willing to call the pansiyon for you.
I don't know if the pansiyon has a car to pick you up, but
if you're really tired, or with a lot of luggage, this might
be worth a shot.

One caveat: when we were there, the owner had a contractor
working on his own place, which is uphill, directly above
the pansiyon. The contractor worked not only all day but
well into the evening, past our bedtime. Requests from us
that he stop were greeted with sympathy, but no stopping!
This could in part have been due to the language barrier.
Finally, I made a request that could be understood in any
language, and to the owner's credit, the work did stop.
Presumably the work will have been completed entirely by the time
you get there, but if not you might need to stand firm.

When we were there, in late May and early June, 2005, the
rate for our room six was 50 new Turkish lira, about $35-40.

Joe Luttrell
San Francisco

Old June 20th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Runge

Maybe Asmara?
Now... is Turkey in Europe??
Oops here comes a thread and no doubt I spy with my little eye some thick
headed family who certainly has an idea, as we are almost out of topic !

Old June 20th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Jack Campin - bogus address

Maybe Asmara?

No. Look at a map.

Now... is Turkey in Europe??

As far as this group is concerned, yes. Our geographic remit is
wider than the EU and narrower than the Eurovision Song Contest.