Carnival "sale"

Old August 31st, 2005, 12:13 AM
Dillon Pyron

Default Carnival "sale"

The "sale" is for two sailings on the Sensation, Sept 1 (4 nights) and
Sept 5 (5 nights). The September 5 cruise returns to New Orleans.

Prices are $199 for a 4A guarantee, $249 for a 6A and $349 for an 11.
All reservations are waitlisted. Dockside documents.

All prices are plus tax.
--
dillon

Pain is Nature's way of saying "that was stupid"
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:29 AM
Dave Beers

The September 5 cruise returns to New Orleans.

No doubt that will change.

-rr

Old August 31st, 2005, 04:37 AM
How B

Hi Tom,

It's actually in reference to a post I made earlier today, article
in Houston Chronicle (see thread called $99 Carnival Cruise.)

As usual, looks like the paper got some of the details wrong.

How B

Old August 31st, 2005, 07:22 PM
How B

Dillon Pyron wrote:
The "sale" is for two sailings on the Sensation, Sept 1 (4 nights) and
Sept 5 (5 nights). The September 5 cruise returns to New Orleans.

Prices are $199 for a 4A guarantee, $249 for a 6A and $349 for an 11.
All reservations are waitlisted. Dockside documents.

All prices are plus tax.

Looks like there might be a few more than two--I just read that the
governor of LA has ordered the entire city of NOLA to be evacuated.

It would be a magnificent gesture and good P.R. on Carnival's part to
offer one of their ships to assist storm victims (assuming they could
even get near the area)--but somehow I doubt it.

How B

Old August 31st, 2005, 07:40 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:22:55 -0700, How B
wrote:

It would be a magnificent gesture and good P.R. on Carnival's part to
offer one of their ships to assist storm victims (assuming they could
even get near the area)--but somehow I doubt it.

Hi Everyone,

Please see my posting "Carnival May Donate Ships!" where Carnival is
looking into donating their ships for emergency housing.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old August 31st, 2005, 08:13 PM
How B

wrote:

It would be a magnificent gesture and good P.R. on Carnival's part to
offer one of their ships to assist storm victims (assuming they could
even get near the area)--but somehow I doubt it.

Hi Everyone,

Please see my posting "Carnival May Donate Ships!" where Carnival is
looking into donating their ships for emergency housing.

From the article:

"The world's largest cruise line said that although 'to undertake such
an endeavor would involve many complicated issues, we are actively
taking a look at it.'"

"'It is our intention to work with federal officials to determine the
feasibility of moving a ship into the area if that is their desire,' the
company said."

Am I wrong, or does that sound like corporate doublespeak for "we're
trying to duck out of this as gracefully as possible."

How B

Old August 31st, 2005, 08:31 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:13:03 -0700, How B
wrote:

Am I wrong, or does that sound like corporate doublespeak for "we're
trying to duck out of this as gracefully as possible."

Hi,

You could say that if you are a very cynical person. I have met
Carnival executives, including the CEO, on a number of occasions and I
sincerely doubt they are trying "to duck out of this as gracefully as
possible." You and I have no way of knowing for sure.

Old August 31st, 2005, 08:49 PM
George Leppla

"How B" wrote
"'It is our intention to work with federal officials to determine the
feasibility of moving a ship into the area if that is their desire,' the
company said."

Am I wrong, or does that sound like corporate doublespeak for "we're
trying to duck out of this as gracefully as possible."

It could be... but more likely the reason is that there are too many
unanswered questions about if this could be done. Things like...

1) Can a large ship get to New Orleans? The shipping channel in the
Mississippi is very narrow and shallow in spots and with this storm, the
depth and track may have changed.

2) What kind of condition is the pier in? Again, did the bottom fill in, is
there enough depth to navigate?

3) Can the cruise ship make enough drinkable water or will fresh water be
available?

4) Fuel? You got any way to deliver fuel to the ship to keep the engines
and generators running?

5) Food? 2000 residents and 1000 crew eat a lot of food. You got a way to
re-supply the ship while it is being used as a hotel?

6) Transportation. You have a way of getting people to and from the ship...
presumably on a daily basis?

That is the quick list off the top of my head. I am sure there are many
more questions and problems that have to be resolved for something like this
to happen.

If Carnival says they are volunteering a ship and it turns out it isn't a
good idea, they look like whelchers. If they don't jump right away, people
say they are insensitive.

And why Carnival? Why not Royal Caribbean or NCL. Both of those lines use
the Port of New Orleans?

--
George in PA http://www.countryside-travel.com

The Mother of All Group Cruises 2 - http://www.moagc2.com/