Hotels in Beijing and Shanghai

Old February 18th, 2008, 06:09 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
arthur

Default Hotels in Beijing and Shanghai

Hello,
In April, I will stay in Beijing and Shanghai. I'd like to find nice
hotels (that means well located, clean and friendly - not necessarily
luxurious) at reasonable prices (max. 80$ - 60 EUR for a double room
including breakfast).
Do you have tips for me?

Arthur

Old February 20th, 2008, 12:56 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Shanghai (Portman) about a year ago for
US $101/night including all taxes and breakfast buffet. The location
is great, the view is magnificent and the service is impeccable. I
highly recommend the place.

--

Regards,

Rui-Tao

Old February 21st, 2008, 01:41 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
arthur

We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Shanghai (Portman) about a year ago for
US $101/night including all taxes and breakfast buffet. The location
is great, the view is magnificent and the service is impeccable. I
highly recommend the place.

Thank you.
How did you get that rate? On all websites, I saw much higher prices.

Arthur

Old February 21st, 2008, 07:26 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

My wife found a consolidator (Google Ad?) http://www.xcessasia.com. I
was very skeptical at first as the web site looks almost like a
phishing site. The price was too low, the international toll free
number goes nowhere and prepayment was required, but the price was too
good to be passed on. We decided to try it out with an one time use
credit card number and booked 13 nights ($101 for the first 10 nights
and $115 for the last 3 nights) at the Ritz. After I got the
confirmation from xcessasia, I kept calling Marriott central
reservation to see if my name was in the system and was told no until
just a few days before the trip.

I just wanted to add that the staff at the hotel was wonderful. Some
of them bought toys (probably from their own pocket) for our daughter
(just shy of three at the time) before we left.

--

Rui-Tao Dong ~{6-HpLN~} , Mission Viejo, California

"arthur" == arthur azer@ty writes:

We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Shanghai (Portman) about a year ago for
US $101/night including all taxes and breakfast buffet. The location
is great, the view is magnificent and the service is impeccable. I
highly recommend the place.

arthur Thank you.
arthur How did you get that rate? On all websites, I saw much higher prices.

arthur Arthur