Hotels in Beijing and Shanghai

Old February 18th, 2008, 06:16 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
arthur

Default Hotels in Beijing and Shanghai

(supersedes mn.947d7d8271e8414e.62070@ty)

Hello,
In April, I will stay in Beijing and Shanghai. I'd like to find nice
hotels (that means well located, clean and friendly - not necessarily
luxurious) at reasonable prices (max. 80$ - 60 EUR for a double room
including breakfast).
Do you have hints for me?

Arthur

Old February 18th, 2008, 07:03 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
John Kulp

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:16:44 +0100, arthur azer@ty wrote:

(supersedes mn.947d7d8271e8414e.62070@ty)

Hello,
In April, I will stay in Beijing and Shanghai. I'd like to find nice
hotels (that means well located, clean and friendly - not necessarily
luxurious) at reasonable prices (max. 80$ - 60 EUR for a double room
including breakfast).
Do you have hints for me?

Arthur

First, get your exchange rate right. 69 Euros is closer to $90 these
days. Second, got to www.elong.net and you will find lots of choices.
Check them out on www.tripadvisor.com for reviews.
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:05 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Feb 18, 10:16*am, arthur azer@ty wrote:
(supersedes mn.947d7d8271e8414e.62070@ty)

Hello,
In April, I will stay in Beijing and Shanghai. I'd like to find nice
hotels (that means well located, clean and friendly - not necessarily
luxurious) at reasonable prices (max. 80$ - 60 EUR for a double room
including breakfast).
Do you have hints for me?

Arthur

We were satisfied with our stay at the the Pacific Hotel in Shanghai.
It is on Nanjing Road just north of People's Park, so it is hard to be
more centrally located to areas of interest to most tourists. We paid
more during a holiday week in October, but I recently saw an internet
offer for rooms at US$65/night (I think it was from Venere.com, but my
memory could be faulty). I don't know if that price includes the
buffet breakfast, which was otherwise available for RMB66/person, but
you can find lots of nearby places to eat for a lot less (at one place
we walked to, you could get a Chinese buffet breakfast for RMB10/
person).

For Beijing, we stayed at a Super8 in Dong Si which cost RMB260/
night. Breakfast is an additional RMB10/person, but there were lots
of other options just outside the hotel door. The hotel is very
centrally located. The facilites are rundown, and it may not meet
your cleanliness standards (we did not get sick, but we were grossed
out).

Check out the reviews at the various online sties like TripAdvisor.

My hint for both cities: the subways are cheap, but don't go
everywhere; taxicabs are cheap, honest, and convenient.
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:45 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
arthur

Hello,
In April, I will stay in Beijing and Shanghai. I'd like to find nice
hotels (that means well located, clean and friendly - not necessarily
luxurious) at reasonable prices (max. 80$ - 60 EUR for a double room
including breakfast).
Do you have hints for me?

Arthur

First, get your exchange rate right. 69 Euros is closer to $90 these
days. Second, got to www.elong.net and you will find lots of choices.
Check them out on www.tripadvisor.com for reviews.

I know elong and tripadvisor. But did I mention "69" euros?

Old February 18th, 2008, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
John Kulp

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:45:49 +0100, arthur azer@ty wrote:

Hello,
In April, I will stay in Beijing and Shanghai. I'd like to find nice
hotels (that means well located, clean and friendly - not necessarily
luxurious) at reasonable prices (max. 80$ - 60 EUR for a double room
including breakfast).
Do you have hints for me?

Arthur

First, get your exchange rate right. 69 Euros is closer to $90 these
days. Second, got to www.elong.net and you will find lots of choices.
Check them out on www.tripadvisor.com for reviews.

I know elong and tripadvisor. But did I mention "69" euros?

No, as you can see above you said 60 Euros.
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:02 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article mn.94847d829a47ae02.62070@ty, arthur says...

In April, I will stay in Beijing and Shanghai. I'd like to find nice
hotels (that means well located, clean and friendly - not necessarily
luxurious) at reasonable prices (max. 80$ - 60 EUR for a double room
including breakfast).
Do you have hints for me?

In Beijing I can recommend the Qian Yuan international business hotel. I
paid 520 yuan in 2006 for a nice room with everything. It's a very
modern hotel:
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Chin...art5.html#1910

You can spend less elsewhere, but this hotel is very nice.

In Shanghai I'd suggest to avoid the Kai En hotel, because the last time
I was there they cheated me on the deposit.
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 19th, 2008, 05:18 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

On Feb 19, 4:02*am, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article mn.94847d829a47ae02.62070@ty, arthur says...

In April, I will stay in Beijing and Shanghai. I'd like to find nice
hotels (that means well located, clean and friendly - not necessarily
luxurious) at reasonable prices (max. 80$ - 60 EUR for a double room
including breakfast).
Do you have hints for me?

In Beijing I can recommend the Qian Yuan international business hotel. I
paid 520 yuan in 2006 for a nice room with everything. It's a very
modern hotel:http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Chin...art5.html#1910

You can spend less elsewhere, but this hotel is very nice.

In Shanghai I'd suggest to avoid the Kai En hotel, because the last time
I was there they cheated me on the deposit.
--

I'd add the Bailemen Hotel in Shanghai to the "avoid" list, not for
reasons of dishonesty but general surliness, bad attitude, lousy

I can't find my receipts from that trip, but I stayed at a nice
friendly hotel in Beijing, very close to the main railway station.
This is totally unhelpful, but I'll see if I can dig up the name.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old February 19th, 2008, 05:33 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

On Feb 19, 10:18*am, grusl wrote:
[...]

Following up to own post, it was the Harmony Hotel in Beijing ....
+86-10-6559-8993

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore