Trip to Seattle (+/- Oregon Coast/California) this June with kids?

Old April 22nd, 2004, 05:10 AM
Todd

Default Trip to Seattle (+/- Oregon Coast/California) this June with kids?

We're flying to Seattle in June with our boys, 13 and 10. Going to
see some relatives, but planning to do a lot more sightseeing.

I'm just not sure of what to do in Seattle with the family, so I'm
also considering ditching the relatives after 3 days in Seattle and
heading south. Thinking of a trip that would go from Seattle to Mt.
St. Helens, to the Oregon Coast (including renting dune buggies in the
dunes--possibly what the boys and I would like the most out of the
whole trip), Crater Lake, then heading south to see the redwoods in
Northern California, then maybe onto San Francisco to fly out from
there (and sightsee there if we have any time).

Sounds like a lot of driving, and we're not really big
camping/hiking/environment folks, but I want my wife and boys to see
some other landscapes that we don't have here in the Deep South
(whether they want to or not). I do think that they would enjoy both
Mt. St. Helens and Crater Lake, although they both add a lot of
driving, too.

We went to Oregon two years ago watched the U of Oregon whip my MSU
Bulldogs, then drove to Mt. Hood and stayed at Timberline Lodge, but
we missed seeing the Oregon Coast. I imagine that the Northern
California Coast is also beautiful. I've always wanted to see the
Redwoods, but it looks like almost half of the driving is just to go
south of Oregon to see the Redwoods and from there to get to an
airport (San Francisco) to fly back home. I'm planning to spend about
10-11 days on the whole trip, so I doubt we'd have much time to see
San Francisco, and we will certainly make a trip back there later.

I'm just looking for any advice on the trip. Things to leave out,
things to add or substitute? Thanks.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:48 AM
Susan Wachob

Go to Oregon Caves just north of the Oregon-California border. Nice old
lodge to stay in. The kids will enjoy the caves- and so will you both to!

And a little further south in N. California is the Paul Bunyan
statue/carving that's maybe 30 feet high (Can't estimate- but huge) and
it will carry on a conversation. Just a stop on Hwy 1 but fun for the kids.

My absolute favorite place is canoeing at Oregon Dunes State Park. The
dunes are pure white sand that go right down to the lake edge. It's a
tiny lake- but you can canoe to the dunes and just lie in the sun.
Bliss! That's also a place to rent dune buggies very nearby. There are
little towns on either end of the dunes with lots of motels. There's
also Lawrence of Florence (Lawrence is a camel and Florence is the
little town just south of the park.) I can't remember if you can
actually be taken for a ride by Lawrence- or what. For that matter, it's
been a lot of years since I've seen him.

Enough of Lawrence and Paul Bunyan. The redwoods are magnificent- huge,
straight, incredibly tall- quite amazing.

If you stop in Eureka for the night- be sure to have dinner- or
breakfast or lunch though I've never had these- at The Samoa Cookhouse.
It was literally the cookhouse where the loggers working at the old mill
(for the trees) would be fed. Meals are served family style with all you
can eat, very good basic food, rustic tables- just a fun treat of a
place to eat. We never miss it when we're nearby.

I've lived in San FRancisco since 1968 and have never gotten tired of
the drive between here and Portland and Seattle. Varied, beautiful- and
great destinations on either end!

There are a number of us who live in San Francisco- and other elsewhere
in the Bay Area- so if you need help with what to do or see in San
Francisco- there's lots of help here. Enjoy your trip!

Susan

Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:53 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Todd" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You cant visit Seattle without making a trip to Mt Rainier
as that mountain dominates the city and Mt Rainier NP
is truly spectacular (if the fog and rain hold off)

Be aware that June is a little early in the season for
crater lake and there may still be snow at higher elevations
requiring the use if chains.

Keith

Old April 22nd, 2004, 06:42 PM
Graham Harrison

We did a very similar trip when our sons were about 3 years older than
yours. 2 nights in Seattle (Jetlag from Europe) then over Mt Rainier NP
and spend the night in Packwood (backwoods town). Then up the "back"
entrance to Mt St Helens, in those days the new Visitor Centre on the west
side of the mountain wasn't open, and on to Portland for the night. A
quick look at the Rose gardens then out to Tillamook and down to Newport for
the night. There we enjoyed a fun night in one of the bars down by the old
port and next morning had a very good visit to the Aquarium. On down the
coast to Coos Bay (it's a place to spend the night) then inland to Crater
Lake for the night. Two nights in Klamath Falls with a day trip to Lava
Beds and the Klamath Wildlife reserve - good day out. Next day just drive
to Redding followed by a day up to Lassen with the night in Chico (wanted to
go to the university bookshop). Lassen - fabulous, provided you can stand
the smell of Sulphur! From there we spent a night in Santa Rosa (Snoopy!)
and then down into San Francisco (well San Mateo, but that's another story).
We had fabulous weather, the boys enjoyed it, we enjoyed it. Wonderful
scenery, friendly towns.

--
*****
*****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam

Old April 25th, 2004, 03:48 AM
mimi

"Todd" wrote in message
om...
We're flying to Seattle in June with our boys, 13 and 10. Going to
see some relatives, but planning to do a lot more sightseeing.

Well, just supposing you stayed around Seattle, you could take a ferry or a
boat to the San Juan Islands and hang out a while. Drive over the mountains
to Lake Chelan, do the lake and water park thing and take a boat to the
north end of the lake. June is a little early at Mt. Rainier, at least in
its higher reaches. Usually still snow into July, but we're having a warm
spring. There are also Olympic and North Cascade National Parks. You could
take a boat to Victoria, Canada and maybe drive around (part of) Vancouver
Island. Go over to Vancouver for another urban experience.

I'll leave out the things to do with kids in Seattle and its immediate
environs. Presumedly your relatives will help you with that.

Marianne