Nikon N80 lens recommendations needed

Old December 11th, 2003, 04:34 PM
John Doe

Default Nikon N80 lens recommendations needed

I recently purchased an N80 body. In 5 months, I will be going on a 3 week trek
in Nepal and Tibet. In order to save weight and space, I would prefer to carry
just a single lens. I was thinking about a 28-200. Does anyone have any
personal experience or recommendations?

TIA

JDoe
Old December 12th, 2003, 01:53 AM
bob

Both the Sigma and Tamron 28-200 are actually very good lenses for the
money. Obviously not as good as single focal length ones, and a bit on the
slow side, but very good quality all the same. If you can afford Sigma's EX
lenses, then by all means go for it.

Bob

--

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

Old December 12th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

"bob" wrote in message
Both the Sigma and Tamron 28-200 are actually very good lenses for the
money. Obviously not as good as single focal length ones, and a bit on the
slow side, but very good quality all the same. If you can afford Sigma's

EX
lenses, then by all means go for it.

Bob

--

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

I swear by my Tamron 28 - 200.
They now also have a 28 - 300. Maybe that is even better.

Gerrit

Old December 12th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Steve Kramer

John Doe wrote:

I recently purchased an N80 body. In 5 months, I will be going on a 3 week trek
in Nepal and Tibet. In order to save weight and space, I would prefer to carry
just a single lens. I was thinking about a 28-200. Does anyone have any
personal experience or recommendations?

The Tamron 28-200 lens has won virtually every lens award for the past
several years for optical performance and mechanical design. This lens
is inexpensive, light weight, has a macro function, and is comfortable
to use. For the money, there isn't another lens on the market to match
it, and for the average consumer, all the lens you will ever need to
take good photos. It is quite simply the 'perfect' travel lens for the
consumer market. )

Steve Kramer
Chiang Mai, Thailand
http://www.photoenvisions.com

--
"The voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new horizons,
but in seeing with new eyes." - Marcel Proust
Old December 12th, 2003, 12:20 PM
bob

I would avoid the 28-300. That's a huge ratio to push into one lens, and
it's impossible to have good spherical correction at all focal lengths. It's
probably not dreadful, but it really is a stretch.

By the way, http://photozone.de/ is a great resource for making these sorts
of decisions

Bob

--

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

"Gerrit 't Hart" wrote in message
u...

Old December 12th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Anders

John Doe wrote:

I recently purchased an N80 body. In 5 months, I will be going on a 3 week trek
in Nepal and Tibet. In order to save weight and space, I would prefer to carry
just a single lens. I was thinking about a 28-200. Does anyone have any
personal experience or recommendations?

TIA

JDoe

I bought my Nikon 601 (US model number, eh or was it 6001?) in -95 and
the Tamron 28-200 the same year in Tokyo.

So far, knock on wood, I had no problems at all. Now there is also a new
Tamron 28-300 I think.

My camera system works pretty much perfect, the only drawback with the
601 model is the absence of IR Autofocus in the camera. It simply do not
do autofocus in bad light without a flash, the built in flash don't have
IR.

I brought this camera and lens all over the world and it worked fine for
me, it is pretty compact (to be a system camera) and is easy to carry
with me. All in all I am satisfied.

The only drawback with the Tamron 28-200 is near limit. It can not focus
really near objects, you must allow for 1.5 m or so.

/Anders

--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!
Old December 13th, 2003, 03:01 AM
Don

John Doe wrote:

I recently purchased an N80 body. In 5 months, I will be going on a 3 week trek
in Nepal and Tibet. In order to save weight and space, I would prefer to carry
just a single lens. I was thinking about a 28-200. Does anyone have any
personal experience or recommendations?

Nikkor 24-120 is a great travel lens.

It now comes with S.Wave and VR.

Don