Is there anything to see in Europe?

Old February 20th, 2005, 11:36 PM
nomad

Default Is there anything to see in Europe?

People above a particular income or education level feel strong peer
pressure to travel to Europe, to prove their status. In my case, I'm not
attracted to crowded cities, churches, or museums. Is there anything left
to see in Europe?

I realize it's a tough question, and likely to invite accusations that I'm a
troll, but I don't want to waste my money either. I've made inquiries along
this line before, and the usual response was for people to get very angry
and say I should stay at home. I've been staying at home, so I was just
wondering if anything has changed to make such an undertaking worthwhile.

Old February 21st, 2005, 12:00 AM
Vicky

In article , nomad
wrote:

People above a particular income or education level feel strong peer
pressure to travel to Europe, to prove their status. In my case, I'm not
attracted to crowded cities, churches, or museums. Is there anything left
to see in Europe?

I realize it's a tough question, and likely to invite accusations that I'm a
troll, but I don't want to waste my money either.

Actually it's not a "tough" question, but a very stupid one. If you're
serious in your inquiry, reading a few good travel books will answer
your question.

It is also a very disingenous question. You are not seriously seeking
information from people if you start by insulting them.

And that, I believe, is what makes you an obvious troll.
Old February 21st, 2005, 12:02 AM
BB

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 23:36:56 GMT, nomad wrote:
People above a particular income or education level feel strong peer
pressure to travel to Europe, to prove their status. In my case, I'm not
attracted to crowded cities, churches, or museums. Is there anything left
to see in Europe?

Sure. My family & I really don't enjoy those things all that much either,
but we really enjoy just seeing the different cultures, architectures, and
landscapes. I like the castles, my wife likes the gardens. Some of the old
palaces are quite spectacular.

I enjoyed doing this sort of trip by car - I like to stay in smaller
medievel walled towns with half-timbered or stone buildings where I can
get out and walk or bike around places that look like nothing I've ever
seen before. Just sitting out on the patio sipping a coffee can be
enjoyable.

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address
Old February 21st, 2005, 12:12 AM
Dave Smith

nomad wrote:

People above a particular income or education level feel strong peer
pressure to travel to Europe, to prove their status. In my case, I'm not
attracted to crowded cities, churches, or museums. Is there anything left
to see in Europe?

I realize it's a tough question, and likely to invite accusations that I'm a
troll, but I don't want to waste my money either. I've made inquiries along
this line before, and the usual response was for people to get very angry
and say I should stay at home. I've been staying at home, so I was just
wondering if anything has changed to make such an undertaking worthwhile.

I don't like cities either, but I have enjoyed my trips to Europe. I tend to
avoid the big cities but Paris has always been the highlight of my trips. It can
give you a whole new perspective to what a big city can be. I have also enjoyed
my time in small European towns. I have to admit that I had no interest in going
to Europe and was essentially dragged along for the first tip and had such a
great time that I have been back twice more, and I plan to go again.

Old February 21st, 2005, 12:27 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

Sure. My family & I really don't enjoy those things all that much
either, but we really enjoy just seeing the different cultures,
architectures, and landscapes.

Go to Provence. Small towns full of character, and a sensual delight!

Or try a driving tour through southern Germany--off the Autobahn. You can
string together a trip from Regensburg or Passau all the way up to Aachen
that is really casual--places full of character, not crowded, and all really
beautiful (the Michelin Green Guide is a good source of planning for a trip
like that).

Old February 21st, 2005, 12:27 AM
nomad

"Vicky" wrote in message
Actually it's not a "tough" question, but a very stupid one. If you're
serious in your inquiry, reading a few good travel books will answer
your question.

I have read plenty of them, but they didn't answer my questions. They all
steer people towards the same commodity attractions, notwithstanding some
books that pretend otherwise. How lonely is "lonely planet" if they are
sold by the millions?

It is also a very disingenous question. You are not seriously seeking
information from people if you start by insulting them.

If you interpret as an insult, it speaks more for your self-esteem than your
logic abilities.

Old February 21st, 2005, 12:31 AM
nomad

"Douglas W. Hoyt" wrote in message
Or try a driving tour through southern Germany--off the Autobahn. You can
string together a trip from Regensburg or Passau all the way up to Aachen
that is really casual--places full of character, not crowded, and all
really beautiful (the Michelin Green Guide is a good source of planning
for a trip like that).

Ok, but don't you need an international driver's license for that? What are
the parking rules in Europe?

Old February 21st, 2005, 12:51 AM

"In my case, I'm not attracted to crowded cities, churches, or museums.
Is there anything left to see in Europe?"

For natural beauty, consider the Alps, the Greek Islands, or the
Scottish Highlands.

There are many regions with small towns, beautiful scenery, and great
food that are easily explored by car, particularly Provence (France),
Tuscany (Italy), and Andalucia (Spain).

Every adventure sport you can imagine in Interlaken (Switzerland).

In any case, Europe is not for everyone, and depending on your
interests you might have a better travel experience in a different part
of the world.

Old February 21st, 2005, 01:02 AM
nomad

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
I don't like cities either, but I have enjoyed my trips to Europe. I tend
avoid the big cities but Paris has always been the highlight of my trips.
It can
give you a whole new perspective to what a big city can be. I have also
enjoyed
my time in small European towns. I have to admit that I had no interest in
going
to Europe and was essentially dragged along for the first tip and had such
great time that I have been back twice more, and I plan to go again.

I guess some people are more easily impressed. I've been dragged along to
plenty of big cities in my time, which people swore that I would "like"
afterwards. I wasn't impressed, so they got very angry and never wanted to
talk to me again.

Maybe there are plenty of people who share my opinion, but you don't know
about them because you only attract people with similar interests.

Old February 21st, 2005, 01:03 AM
nomad

wrote in message
oups.com...
"In my case, I'm not attracted to crowded cities, churches, or museums.
Is there anything left to see in Europe?"
For natural beauty, consider the Alps, the Greek Islands, or the
Scottish Highlands.

There are many regions with small towns, beautiful scenery, and great
food that are easily explored by car, particularly Provence (France),
Tuscany (Italy), and Andalucia (Spain).

Every adventure sport you can imagine in Interlaken (Switzerland).
In any case, Europe is not for everyone, and depending on your
interests you might have a better travel experience in a different part
of the world.

Yup, I've done my share of adventure sports, or travelling to remote towns
elsewhere. I feel like I've grown out of that phase. It could be that I'm
too grown up for travelling.