London: 5 UndergrounD stations accept EURO notes

Old July 19th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Alan \(in Brussels\)

Default London: 5 UndergrounD stations accept EURO notes

Tube now accepts Euros
Euro notes up to a maximum of ?100 are currently accepted for the purchase
of any ticket, at the following LUL ticket offices [all of which are near
bureaux de change...];

a.. Heathrow Terminal 4
b.. Heathrow Terminals 1,2 &3
c.. Waterloo
d.. Paddington
e.. Victoria
But be aware that your change will be in GBP
a.. (source: http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/press...es/0407/19.asp )
b..
c.. Regards,
- Alan (in Brussels - mind the spamtrap)

Old July 19th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Phil Richards

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:44:04 +0200 Alan (in Brussels)
said...

Tube now accepts Euros
Euro notes up to a maximum of ?100 are currently accepted for the purchase
of any ticket, at the following LUL ticket offices [all of which are near
bureaux de change...];

I noticed signs by Waterloo Underground ticket windows many months ago
saying Euro notes are accepted. Possibly it's new at other the other
stations?

Still the rate is no doubt very poor, anyone arriving in the UK without
GBP really won't have much trouble in locating an ATM at any main railway
station, airport etc. By far the best way IMO to draw out any foreign
currency is with a bank debit card from an ATM. Fees are normally a
couple of percent, in fact one of my bank accounts doesn=3Ft charge me for
using the debit card abroad. I haven't used a Bureaux de Change or
Travellers Cheque for years.....

--
Phil Richards
London, UK

Old July 19th, 2004, 09:06 PM
David Eerdmans

Phil Richards wrote in article
.. .

By far the best way IMO to draw out any foreign
currency is with a bank debit card from an ATM. Fees are normally a
couple of percent, in fact one of my bank accounts doesn=3Ft charge me

for
using the debit card abroad. I haven't used a Bureaux de Change or
Travellers Cheque for years.....

Excactly my thoughts. Too bad travel websites and guide books often ignore
this possibility, they usually only talk about Bureaux de Change,
travellers cheques and credit cards...

Regards,
David

Old July 20th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Mike Roebuck

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:42:58 +0100, Phil Richards
wrote:

[...]

Who do you bank with, Phil?

I ask, because the Royal Bank of Scotland is seriously ripping me off
for using my debit cards in foreign ATMs.

In additon to the charge for using the card (say £3.00 for EUR300),
they are also charging a relatively new Exchange Rate Transfer Fee,
which brought the charge for withdrawing EUR300 recently to around
£10.00!

--
Regards

Mike

mikedotroebuckatgmxdotnet

Old July 20th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Phil Richards

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 02:12:56 +0100 Mike Roebuck=20
said...

Who do you bank with, Phil?=20

Nationwide (Flex Account). I opened an account specifically with them for=
=20
ATM withdrawals abroad as they carry out the exchange rate very close to=20
the Inter Bank rate with no fees for cash withdrawals:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/banking/...nt/default.htm

I tend to use my Credit Card (again Nationwide) for bigger purchases,=20
again because of a good rate of exchange.

I ask, because the Royal Bank of Scotland is seriously ripping me off
for using my debit cards in foreign ATMs.=20

I felt the same with NatWest, over 2% per withdrawal though there is a=20
maximum fee of =A34.00 IIRC.

--=20
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:11 AM

In misc.transport.rail.europe Mike Roebuck wrote:

Still the rate is no doubt very poor, anyone arriving in the UK without
GBP really won't have much trouble in locating an ATM at any main railway
station, airport etc. By far the best way IMO to draw out any foreign
currency is with a bank debit card from an ATM. Fees are normally a
couple of percent, in fact one of my bank accounts doesn=3Ft charge me for
using the debit card abroad. I haven't used a Bureaux de Change or
Travellers Cheque for years.....

Who do you bank with, Phil?

Nationwide I expect, they are consistently the best to use for all
foreign transactions. Withdrawing cash is cheaper and using their
credit card is cheaper when overseas.

--
Chris Green