libya, tunis and algeria

Old December 20th, 2005, 04:02 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default libya, tunis and algeria

Good health and high spiriits! I'm planning a trip to Tunis, Algeria and
Libya from Jan13-Feb 11/05. I don't plan on spending too much time in
Tunis, cause from what I've read thus far It seems to be a very very
touristy area.. worse than Moroc and Egypt.

anyone have an idea on what the cost of the visa or entry fees are? were
there exit fees?
what was the $ best used there? USD or Euros? I'm from Canada so I want to
change my $ into whatever would suit..

My main plan is to fly to Algiers, travel through Tunis to Libya and fly
back from Tripoli.

I'm also thinking of booking my flights from Frankfurt..

what do you think?
thanx in advance for any information.
ciao
tashi
How funky are your chickens!
LIFE IS AN ATTITUDE!
http://www.globosapiens.net/ta-shy

Old December 21st, 2005, 12:33 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

"Good health and high spiriits! I'm planning a trip to Tunis, Algeria
and Libya from Jan13-Feb 11/05. I don't plan on spending too much time
in Tunis, cause from what I've read thus far It seems to be a very very
touristy area.. worse than Moroc and Egypt."

Much of Tunisia's tourist traffic revolves around package tours to
beach resorts, and the winter is the low season there (too cold for the
beach), so the number of tourists should be very small and almost
unnoticeable in many places. When I went in December 2001, the
restaurants and hotels that the guidebook recommended were almost
empty, and the only place I saw more than a tiny number of tourists was
in Sidi Bou Said.

The hassle in Tunisia from shopkeepers and people who want to be your
guide is even worse than in Morocco or Egypt, and with few tourists
around the small number of visitors who are there can expect even more
attention from the shopkeepers and fake guides. It's an interesting
country with a lot of historical sights, but can be frustrating to
travel in due to the constant hassle and scam attempts. Watch out for
bar scams in the capital Tunis where people pretend to befriend you
only to get you into a bar where you will be massively overcharged.

Old December 21st, 2005, 02:16 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Le Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:02:49 GMT, Tashi a écrit :

I'm also thinking of booking my flights from Frankfurt..

As far as I know, you need an official invitation from a travel agency to
get your visa to Lybia. Might have changed since....

Frankfurt is a good hub, but you've just got very expensive Lufthansa
flights (between 600 and 850 euros) and Air Algerie flights, which are not
even priced on the net.
Even if you don't like Tunisia, I'd advise you to fly there, and then go to
Algeria, come back, and go to Lybia. Then you can look for low costs
companies, and charters, like Hapag fly (may be with a connectiong flight).

--
Marie-Aude
www.trassagere.com
Old December 22nd, 2005, 02:24 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

thanx for the info.. yes I need an invite for Libya. I'm working on that on
this end with a Libyan friend of mine. I also need one for Algiers from a
Hotel still working on that.
what is Hapag?
thanx Tashi

Old December 22nd, 2005, 10:23 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Le Thu, 22 Dec 2005 02:24:42 GMT, Tashi a écrit :

thanx for the info.. yes I need an invite for Libya. I'm working on that on
this end with a Libyan friend of mine. I also need one for Algiers from a
Hotel still working on that.
what is Hapag?
thanx Tashi

Hapag is a airline.
http://www.billig-flieger-vergleich....Hapag-Fly.html
--
Marie-Aude
www.trassagere.com
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:42 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Marie-Aude wrote:
Le Thu, 22 Dec 2005 02:24:42 GMT, Tashi a écrit :

thanx for the info.. yes I need an invite for Libya. I'm working on that on
this end with a Libyan friend of mine. I also need one for Algiers from a
Hotel still working on that.
what is Hapag?
thanx Tashi

Hapag is a airline.
http://www.billig-flieger-vergleich....Hapag-Fly.html

Hapag-Lloyd, part of the TUI group. I think if you're looking for cheap
flights, then Tunisia is probably the best bet, as it is a tourist
destination, with flights from Germany. Alternatively, there may be
cheap flights from Paris Orly to Algiers with Air Algerie.
I was in Algiers early last year. The place is very backward, with no
cash machines, currency restrictions and a lot of bureaucracy. It
reminded me of Russia in the old days.

T.