Attractions in Ullapool

Old October 31st, 2005, 10:57 AM

Default Attractions in Ullapool

I am going to Ullapool for a holiday in November and need some
suggestions as what is good to go see and do there!

any suggestions would be appretiated!

nabru

Old October 31st, 2005, 12:27 PM
Charles Davis

see

http://www.ullapool.co.uk/

and

http://www.ullapool.com/

and

http://www.scotland-inverness.co.uk/ullapool.htm

Old October 31st, 2005, 01:01 PM
Jack Campin - bogus address

I am going to Ullapool for a holiday in November and need some
suggestions as what is good to go see and do there!

Hillwalking? I've only been there once (October, I think) and did
a couple of the nearby mountains, staying in the bothy at Coiremor on
the way to Seana Braigh (one of the least accessible mountains in
Scotland, http://ccgi.mountaineer.plus.com/sco...00/index.shtml
for some pictures). The more northerly mountains of the Beinn Dearg
group are a day trip from Ullapool.

It has a terrific fish-and-chip shop near the pier, a hotel/pub/
restaurant that does Scottish music sometimes (the Ceilidh Place),
and there are boat trips to the nearby islands in summer (probably
not in November, but you might get lucky if the weather's good).
The group offshore is called the Summer Isles, but they're nothing
like the setting for "The Wicker Man" (where was that shot, anyway?)

We stayed in the vegetarian B&B, they were good.

At all costs avoid the Aultguish Inn. Even by the none too high
standards of friendliness and hygiene of Highland hostelries it's
a nightmare ********.

Old November 1st, 2005, 06:26 PM
The Reid

Following up to chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy

hillwalking is the obvious choice but November will have short
days and probably be wet and dark.

The days aren't that short to preclude hillwalking though- just requires
a bit more planning maybe.

and a car? :-)

The weather is unpredictable. Yes, it could
rain all day- or be clear all day- probably statistically more likely to
be the former,

indeed, worst month IMHO

but you never know. As the OP seems to be going there
anyway, doesn't really matter. I like the rain, cold and dark, if not
for hillwalking...

The thing about the highlands so many hills are miles from the
road and big, you need to be Rhienhold Messner to do them in
winter.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site