What is the implication of not particiating with a muster drill?

Old February 14th, 2006, 01:34 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default What is the implication of not particiating with a muster drill?

While Maritime law dictates compliance of this law, the managing of the
process is something the Cruise Line is held accountable for. They have
records that are regularly checked, and if out of compliance (100%
participation in muster drills), they will be fined by the US
Coastguard.

I don't think Orient Lines stops at US ports. Does the US Coast
Guard have any authority over them?

Old February 14th, 2006, 01:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I hope none of you find yourself need to use the knowledge you learn
while going through the drill, but for those of you that don't find
this very important, I hope you can read the instructions behind your
door and that you can compose yourself if ever faced with an emergency
aboard a ship.

I am willing to take the risk that will happen and I will die. The
chance of it happening on the cruise I am on is miniscule, possibly
statitistically insignificant.

Old February 14th, 2006, 02:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thus spake "Wando" :

"LeeNY" wrote in message
roups.com...
GARY Z wrote:
"Reef Fish" wrote in message
oups.com...

I was on rccl just before xmas and was standing on my balcony in my life
jacket waiting to hear the muster call in my room. Had I been able to
hear the call I would
have been there on time.

Now this I find hard to believe. The muster announcements are blaring.
I mean, BLARING! How can one not hear them??? Not to mention the
every-five-minute announcements leading up to the start of the drill.

Lee

GaryZ

Plus the time of the drill is clearly marked on the daily information
sheets. You don't need to wait for the announcement to go to your station.

About ten minutes before the drill staff were telling us to go to our
rooms and get our life vests.

Brenda

--
dillon

Could have been is in the past
Could be is in the future
There is only the now
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"As crew, we will be the last to leave the ship in an emergency. As Captain,
I will be the last of the crew to leave.
If I pass you on the way off the ship, you are to assume the rank of Captain
with immediate effect."

--

Dave

Old February 14th, 2006, 04:47 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Odysseus" wrote in message news:MyaIf.797373$xm3.55809@attbi_s21...

I hope none of you find yourself need to use the knowledge you learn
while going through the drill, but for those of you that don't find
this very important, I hope you can read the instructions behind your
door and that you can compose yourself if ever faced with an emergency
aboard a ship.

I am willing to take the risk that will happen and I will die. The
chance of it happening on the cruise I am on is miniscule, possibly
statitistically insignificant.

As are you, with that attitude.

--

Dave

Old February 14th, 2006, 05:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thus spake Odysseus :

While Maritime law dictates compliance of this law, the managing of the
process is something the Cruise Line is held accountable for. They have
records that are regularly checked, and if out of compliance (100%
participation in muster drills), they will be fined by the US
Coastguard.

I don't think Orient Lines stops at US ports. Does the US Coast
Guard have any authority over them?

Who's flag do they fly? Most seafaring nations are signatories to
SOLAS. Technically, Panama or The Bahamas or etc would also have
authority.

The US exerts authority within US national waters. Other countries
can and do the same.

Old February 14th, 2006, 10:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Well, if you don't know WHERE to go when the disaster occurs, you may have
problems. And you would be amazed at how many people do NOT know how to
secure their life vests on themselves!

"PastaLover" wrote in message
Just curious, how serious is it it you don't participate in a muster

drill?