Olympic lanes

Old July 11th, 2012, 01:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
Mike.. . . .

Default Olympic lanes

ORN

"The Olympic Route Network (ORN) will enable athletes and VIPs to
arrive promptly at their events by improving traffic flow on these
routes. Maps showing the impact of Olympic activities on the London
road network can be seen on the TfL website."

TFL maps say the lanes close to non Olympic traffic on 27th July

"When will the ORN/PRN operate?
The ORN and Games Lanes will begin operating on Wednesday 25 July, and
will end on Tuesday 14 August. "

However, everybody is saying avoid from the 15th *and* we have seen
warning signs about the lanes in central London that quote dates
before the 25th.

The question

So what exactly is happening from the 15th that we need to avoid? Just
a bit more traffic from preparations or is it more serious? Nobody
seems to say.

(anybody who has to drive into central london, like lift engineers,
are going to enjoy sitting behind buses in the one remaining non
olympic lane (from places like the Limehouse tunnel right into central
london)
--
Mike... . . . .
Old July 11th, 2012, 01:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
Ian Jackson

In message , Mike.....
writes
[...]

According to one of LBC's programmes this morning, the Olympic lanes are
a bit of a shambles. The opinion was that no matter how careful lesser
mortals are, they will invariably find themselves accidentally driving
in the forbidden zones, and therefore risk swingeing penalties.
--
Ian
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
Chris Hills

On 11/07/2012 13:52, Ian Jackson wrote:
According to one of LBC's programmes this morning, the Olympic lanes are
a bit of a shambles. The opinion was that no matter how careful lesser
mortals are, they will invariably find themselves accidentally driving
in the forbidden zones, and therefore risk swingeing penalties.

It is almost as if they are looking for some new source of revenue to
help cover the cost of the Olympics!

Old July 11th, 2012, 09:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
McKevvy

On Jul 11, 1:45*pm, Mike.. . . . wrote:
[...]

The company I work for does a meat delivery run from central Scotland
to London making 17 deliveries in 3 day.
I wonder how long it will take while these farcial games are on.

McK.
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
Bill[_15_]

In message
,
McKevvy writes

The company I work for does a meat delivery run from central Scotland
to London making 17 deliveries in 3 day.
I wonder how long it will take while these farcial games are on.

McK.

From last weeks experience, if you need to go anywhere near a venue, you
should manage 3 deliveries in 17 days.
--
Bill
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
bill

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 13:13:48 -0700 (PDT), McKevvy
wrote:

The company I work for does a meat delivery run from central Scotland
to London making 17 deliveries in 3 day.
I wonder how long it will take while these farcial games are on.

About the same if they arrange their deliveries for the middle of the
night for a couple of weeks...
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
Mike.. . . .

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 13:52:11 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

According to one of LBC's programmes this morning, the Olympic lanes are
a bit of a shambles. The opinion was that no matter how careful lesser
mortals are, they will invariably find themselves accidentally driving
in the forbidden zones, and therefore risk swingeing penalties.

"http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2030948/Let-fat-cats-bus-Olympics.html"

I must say that now I know about these lanes and the lack of tickets
to Londoners and the segregation of trains I would have been
demonstrating on the streets to not have the Olympics.

One lane into London sitting behind a loading bus is going to be slow.
I see the M4 is closed to fix cracks before the event.
--
Mike... . . . .
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
Mike.. . . .

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 21:48:30 +0100, Bill
wrote:

About the same if they arrange their deliveries for the middle of the
night for a couple of weeks...

I wonder if I can get the business we need to visit to work nights
instead?
--
Mike... . . . .
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
tim....

wrote:

According to one of LBC's programmes this morning, the Olympic lanes are
a bit of a shambles. The opinion was that no matter how careful lesser
mortals are, they will invariably find themselves accidentally driving
in the forbidden zones, and therefore risk swingeing penalties.

"http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2030948/Let-fat-cats-bus-Olympics.html"

I must say that now I know about these lanes and the lack of tickets
to Londoners

Why should Londoners get special treatment? There are 6 million tickets
available and 6 million Londoners. So after they have had one each there
would be none at all left for anybody else (and what use is one ticket?)

tim

Old July 12th, 2012, 10:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.rec.driving
[email protected]

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 10:16:38 +0100
"tim...." wrote:
I must say that now I know about these lanes and the lack of tickets
to Londoners

Why should Londoners get special treatment? There are 6 million tickets

Because we're the ones having to put up with all the **** from this 10 billion
quid ego fest? They've already rephased the lights on some major roads like
the A13 and A2 and caused traffic chaos "to test the system". They don't seem
to be in a hurry to switch the test off however.

So we're supposed to suffer until this nonsense has finished with no form of
compensation yet we don't get any special treatment for getting tickets. Well
thats fair isn't it.

B2003