Nairobi hotel near airport?

Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:20 AM
riverman

Default Nairobi hotel near airport?

I have an overnight layover in Nairobi next week, and could use some
insights for a good hotel near the airport. I could just spring for the
Intercontinental at $160, but does anyone know of a place that has a nicer,
more 'cozy' feel that I really ought to consider? I'm not bound to the idea
of 5-stars or anything. Character would be better.

thanks
--riverman

Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:30 PM
Liz

In message
"riverman" wrote:

I have an overnight layover in Nairobi next week, and could use some
insights for a good hotel near the airport. I could just spring for the
Intercontinental at $160, but does anyone know of a place that has a nicer,
more 'cozy' feel that I really ought to consider? I'm not bound to the idea
of 5-stars or anything. Character would be better.

The Fairview was nice when we stayed a few years back, but I noticed from
Hans=Georg's safari report that it's gone upmarket.

I liked the Intercontinental when we stayed there (we got put up there when
our flight was cancelled: we weren't paying!) and the food was good, but
that was our first trip (1994) so things could have changed.

Liz
--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles
Old September 26th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Gary Balfour

"riverman" wrote in message ...
I have an overnight layover in Nairobi next week, and could use some
insights for a good hotel near the airport. I could just spring for the
Intercontinental at $160, but does anyone know of a place that has a nicer,
more 'cozy' feel that I really ought to consider? I'm not bound to the idea
of 5-stars or anything. Character would be better.

thanks
--riverman

Some of the other options, all well within that budget, would be the
Norfolk, The Stanley, Panafric, The Landmark, just to name a few. I
would pick the Norfolk in terms of being cozy, but I also find the
Stanley has a charm to it.

And don't count out the Intercontinental. I often meet people at
their coffee bar in the main lobby and find the staff and facilities
great.

A great find for people staying for a bit longer is the Palacina. It
is only 16 rooms, all suites of varying sizes and an outstanding
restaurant. (The review of the restaurant can be found at
www.safari.cc/rr.html.)

Have a great time.
Gary

www.safari.cc
Old September 27th, 2003, 02:10 PM
riverman

"Gary Balfour" wrote in message
om...
"riverman" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, Gary, but I don't see the pics on your site. Just a narrative.

--riverman

Old September 28th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

One point that everybody seems to have missed is that none of
these hotels are near the airport. They're all somewhere in
town.

I don't know any hotel near the airport though, so going to town
may be necessary anyway.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old September 28th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Hans-Georg
Michna writes
One point that everybody seems to have missed is that none of
these hotels are near the airport. They're all somewhere in
town.

I don't know any hotel near the airport though, so going to town
may be necessary anyway.

Hans-Georg

That is true Hans Georg!
Is it about 17 kms to the city centre?

Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old September 28th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Liz

In message
Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

One point that everybody seems to have missed is that none of
these hotels are near the airport. They're all somewhere in
town.

I don't know any hotel near the airport though, so going to town
may be necessary anyway.

Wasn't there talk of a lodge at NNP a couple of years back?
If it's happened, it might be 'near the airport'.
And might be nicer to stay there than in town, to boot.

If if hasn't come to anything, however....

Liz
Old September 28th, 2003, 04:36 PM
riverman

"Hans-Georg Michna" wrote in message
One point that everybody seems to have missed is that none of
these hotels are near the airport. They're all somewhere in
town.

I don't know any hotel near the airport though, so going to town
may be necessary anyway.

Actually, I came to that conclusion quickly once I started researching the
hotels listed. It turns out that there are an abundance of hotels within my
price range ($90-$150) but its hard to tell which are nice, or which have
seen their day. I have heard of the Intercontinental referred to as 'a dump'
and 'the nicest in town', the Stanley as 'the most charming classic hotel in
Kenya' to 'a washed out dump', the Hilton as 'the worst of the best' (which
I take as a compliment...) to 'not worthy of the name'. I guess I have to
rephrase my question to:

Can anyone recommend a good hotel in the $90-$150 range (2 persons) with a
nice ambience, good quality rooms, quiet at night, and is not so modern that
its sterile? Specifically, just how are the Stanley, Intercon and Hilton?
Are they any good?

--riverman

Old September 29th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

riverman,

have a good look at the Fairview Hotel again. Fresh price info
from http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm is:

Fairview hotel, Nairobi, bed & breakfast (2003)
Single KSh5,200
There are three price classes. This is the lowest.

Sorry, I don't have the double room prices, but it seems they'll
be within your range. A few photos of the Fairview are in
http://www.michna.com/kenya2003/ , in the chapter
Fri, 23. May – Nairobi. It's certainly one of the more
interesting hotels.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old September 29th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Rita Daggett

Can anyone recommend a good hotel in the $90-$150 range (2 persons) with a
nice ambience, good quality rooms, quiet at night, and is not so modern

that
its sterile? Specifically, just how are the Stanley, Intercon and

Hilton?
Are they any good?

Someone else mentioned Panafric and Norfolk - no idea of their prices since
we've always stayed as part of a package. Panafric I'd class as 'cheap and
cheerful' - its big, but the rooms are OK; they seem to cater a lot for
people arriving and departing at odd hours and we've always heard what
sounds like people moving furniture in the room above us when we've stayed
there.
The Norfolk has a huge history; its VERY nice, and has a place you can eat
and watch the world (at reasonable prices) but I think the room rates are
high.
--
Rita Daggett