Capitol Reef - Glen Canyon - Canyonlands - Arches - Monument Valley - Grand Canyon - Nataral Bridges

Old April 4th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Christian Nielsen

Default Capitol Reef - Glen Canyon - Canyonlands - Arches - Monument Valley - Grand Canyon - Nataral Bridges

How about this?

Saturday
05-06-2004
Zion Natl. Park
Bryce Canyon Natl. Park
- Night: Bryce Canyon Natl. Park

Sunday
06-06-2004
Bryce Canyon Natl. Park
Capitol Reef Natl. Park
Glen Canyon Natl. Rec. Area
- Night: Natural Bridges Natl. Monument

Monday
07-06-2004
Natural Bridges Natl. Monument
Canyonlands Natl. Park
Arches Natl. Park
- Night: Arches Natl. Park

Tuesday
08-06-2004
Arches Natl. Park
Monument Valley
- Night: Monument Valley

Wednesday
09-06-2004
Grand Canyon, Desert View
- Night: Grand Canyon - Desert View

Thursday
10-06-2004
Grand Canyon
Night : Grand Canyon - Village

Friday
11-06-2004
Sedona and Red Rock

/Christian

Old April 5th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Turby

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 23:13:53 +0200, "Christian Nielsen"
wrote:

How about this?

Zion Natl. Park
Bryce Canyon Natl. Park
Capitol Reef Natl. Park
Glen Canyon Natl. Rec. Area
Natural Bridges Natl. Monument
Canyonlands Natl. Park
Arches Natl. Park
Monument Valley
Grand Canyon, Desert View
Grand Canyon
Sedona and Red Rock

OK. It's a lot better than your California itinerary. I think I'd
leave out the Arches side trip, though. I also still think you're
going to have problems getting reservations this late in some of the
parks. Maybe it's possible, I dunno. Whenever I've gone through that
area in tourist season, the established camps have been full, so I've
always just been prepared for wilderness camping.

It's so much better to have more time than plans.

Turby the Turbosurfer
Old April 5th, 2004, 03:19 PM
metchikabool

This is way too much driving, especially on sunday and monday. You
are making the same mistake many Americans make when they visit
Europe: trying to see too many places in too little time

Unless, of course, driving is what you want to do. Personally, I like
to get out and hike in these places!

Old April 5th, 2004, 04:29 PM
iaink

Originally posted by Christian Nielsen
Hello!

We

(3 adults) are gonna spend a week in Utah & Arizon (2nd week of june)

Question is........What to see?
I have listet some places here, but

since we only have 7 days, we might have
to skip some of the places,

and maybe add another one.
- Grand Canyon, Zion are a MUST see !

Do you have any suggestions on this matter?

Thanks!
/Christian

On our honeymoon we made a road trip from Vegas to the Hoover
Dam to the Grand Canyon, onto Page, Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods,
Natural Arches, Capitol Reef, Grand Escalante, Bryce, Zion, back to
Vegas.

It was way too much for one short trip,(We did the ~1200 mile
loop in 4 days!) but we now plan to go back and take our time sometime
in the future, over a couple of weeks. Monument valley and Natural
arches were cool, but if I were to skip anything it would be this bit,
having said that the scenery on the drive was fantastic, and it was
worth the detour for Valley of the Gods, which was an "interesting"
drive on a dirt road better suited to an SUV than a rented Cavalier!

As I said, it was way too much to fit in, but as it was about 45C
outside in July, we would not have been up to much hiking anyway. For
accomodation we stayed in Kingman, Page and Hanksville. Better to stay
at the GC village to take in sunrise and sunset if you can get a booking
now. As a previous poster said, invest in the cooler, its a life saver!

Breathtaking scenery everywhere we looked, however due to the time
constraints we had, we basically did a drive by in Bryce and Zion.

If
you plan going back at a later date, then there is no harm really in
trying to pack in a lot, but if this is a once in a lifetime deal I
would go with the Grand Canyon for a couple of days, plan to take the
hike to the bottom, (but check the advice for this treck, people still
die there by miscalculating the heat) Spend a while in Bryce and Zion,
and skip the rest.

Have fun, its a beautiful area.

Iain

Old April 5th, 2004, 08:45 PM
metchikabool

Christian

Where will you be flying in to? Las Vegas? Phoenix?

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:35 AM
metchikabool

Here is what I would suggest:

Day 1 Arrive Phoenix, drive to Grand Canyon. Do not go by way of
Sedona for two reasons..it is over-rated, especially compared to what
you will be seeing later, and you will be tired from your flight and
may not want to drive the extra amount on your first day. Do some
sight seeing. Get out of the car and walk around. It should be late
enough in the day, depending on your arrival time, so that it won't be
blazing hot.

Day 2. Spend time at the Grand Canyon sight seeing. I do not recommend
the hike into the canyon in mid-June. Too hot. By mid-late afternoon
you can depart for Monument Valley via Tuba city. Note that highway
160 is a busy highway with much RV traffic, so be patient. You have
several choices on where to stay in Kayenta or Monument Valley, which
isn't far from there.
http://www.southwestdirectory.com/mo...ey/lodging.htm

Note that the Anasazi is a budget place to stay just a few miles SW of
Kayenta. Many travelers from all over the world stay there.

Now, here's an interesting alternative that you might like. Instead of
going to Monument Valley the next day, take highway 264 from Tuba city
to Second Mesa. there is a nice motel there, along with the Hopi
Cultural Center.
http://www.psv.com/hopi.html
This is something that the people at home will probably not have heard
about and is, in my opinion, worth the trip
From there, you can visit the ancient village of Walpi on the First
Mesa, then continue on to Canyon deChelly (highway 191). From there
you can catch Highway 160 to Kayenta. This highway is scenic and not
crowded. If you decide to do this, of course you will have to adjust
the times for the remainder of the trip!

Day 3 tour Monument Valley, then, by noon , depart for Utah. Here is
where you would make your decision about if you want to go to Moab and
Arches or not. I recommend not, unless you like lots of crowds and
touristy stuff. But you will have had enough of that in Grand canyon!

Instead, go to Mexican Hat and a few miles north look for the turnoff
to highway 261. proceed a couple of miles and take the turnoff for
Goosenecks State Park.
http://www.desertusa.com/goout/du_goout_vvc.html
It is not a long side trip, but you will be rewarded with a
spectacular view of the deep canyon of the San Juan River.

Now, for some fun, continue on 261 to its junction with highway 95.
you will like a short part of highway 261 called the Moki Dugway.
Don't worry, it's a lot less scary going up than down. And it's safe.
Just before Moki dugway you could take the trip through Valley of the
Gods. It's a 17 mile drive on rough road, beautiful, but will take
about 1 1/2 hours.

Once on 95 you will be very near the turnoff for Natural Bridges.

that night, you should try to book a stay at Fry Canyon Lodge.
http://www.frycanyon.com/

Otherwise, try for lodging in Hanksville
http://www.onlineutah.com/hanksvillelodging.shtml

Day 4 On to Capitol Reef. via highway 24, a very scenic, interesting
road. Be sure to note Factory Butte on the right, a bit east of
Caineville. Take time to explore Capitol Reef National Park. Be sure
to take the scenic drive. By early afternoon you should leave for your
next night's stop, via highway 12. IN Boulder, utah, you have two
choices, Pole's Place, a very nice, clean, reasonably-priced motel
http://www.boulderutah.com/polesplace/motel.html
or Boulder Mountain Lodge, pricey and quite nice
http://www.boulder-utah.com/

Boulder is a good idea if you want to visit Calf Creek Falls, or just
get out and explore a bit. Highway 12 is a fantastically interesting
road.

Or you can drive further towards Bryce, and stay in Tropic, where
there are lots of good places, like Bryce canyon Inn
http://www.brycecanyoninn.com/

or closer to Bryce., Ruby's Inn, which I recommend
http://www.rubysinn.com/

If you're lucky, maybe you can still get a place at the lodge in
Bryce, which is beautiful.
http://www.brycecanyonlodge.com/

Day 5 Hike in Bryce. It's at higher elevation, so will be cooler.
maybe even get up early to take pictures in the morning light. It's
lovely at that time. Then continue to Zion. via highways 12, 89, and
9.

You could book a place to stay in Mount Carmel Junction, near Zion
http://www.hotelsbycity.com/utah/mou...on-hotels.html

I doubt very much you will find lodging in Zion.

Day 6, explore Zion. Be sure to take the shuttle on the scenic drive.
It will give you a great relief from driving, and allow you to enjoy
the beauty.

Day 7, back to Phoenix. Take highway 89, not highway 89a. 89 is
prettier. don't bother with coral Pink Sand dunes, unless you like
lots of noisy dune buggies. Instead, if you like, take a quick side
trip to the Old Paria town and movie site. Fantastic red rock scenery.
make a note to come back here someday and hike "The Wave"
https://www.az.blm.gov/paria/

Be sure to call ahead to the motels where you want to stay. In june
they fill up early.

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 22:56:27 +0200, "Christian Nielsen"
wrote:

I'll be flying in to Phoenix
/Christian

.. .

Old April 7th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Rodney Boles

metchikabool wrote in message . ..
Here is what I would suggest:

I haven't been everywhere that is recommended here, but from what I
see
of this compared to Christian's initial itinerary, this is MUCH, MUCH
more doable. There is so much to see and do in this part of the
country that it is shame to be in the car for much of the day every
day. Even the most impressive scenery in the world (and this is near
the top of the list) can get old if just
viewed out the window day in, day out. Slow down and enjoy the areas
you are able to get to in a week. You simply aren't going to be able
to do it all, so don't even try. Plan on coming back.