SWA to pull out of KIAH

Old January 27th, 2005, 08:27 PM
A Guy Called Tyketto

Default SWA to pull out of KIAH

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....499&highlight=

Southwest Airlines Discontinues Service at Houston George Bush
Intercontinental Airport

HOUSTON, Jan 27, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Southwest
Airlines (NYSE: LUV) announced today that it will cease flight
operations at Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport at the end
of the day on April 2, 2005. Southwest's George Bush Intercontinental
Airport departures will continue to operate as presently scheduled
through April 2, 2005. Ticketed passengers, passengers holding
reservations, or passengers desiring to make reservations for flights
to or from Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport have no need
to alter their plans involving travel prior to April 3, 2005.
Southwest will start contacting those passengers who are currently
holding reservations into and out of Houston George Bush
Intercontinental Airport for the timeperiod of April 3, 2005 through
June 6, 2005, in order to assist them in reaccommodating their air
travel needs.

Southwest currently operates six daily nonstop flights between Houston
George Bush Intercontinental Airport and Dallas Love Field Airport.
Southwest Airlines will continue to offer service between Houston and
Dallas through its Houston Hobby Airport operation. Houston Hobby is
Southwest's fifth busiest airport with 139 daily departures, including
29 daily flights to Dallas Love Field.

Gary Kelly, Southwest's Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer,
stated: "We are discontinuing service at Houston George Bush
Intercontinental Airport at the end of the day on April 2, 2005, for
business reasons. With the continuing airline industry challenges, we
cannot continue to serve two airports in Houston and realize the
losses we have generated for years at Houston George Bush
Intercontinental Airport. We are making an enormous commitment to
Houston Hobby Airport, making it the focal point of our future
growth."

In 1980, Southwest started its dual airport operation in Houston with
seven daily nonstop departures from Houston George Bush
Intercontinental Airport to Dallas Love Field Airport. Since that
time, passenger traffic has grown at Houston Hobby Airport bringing
the total number of daily nonstop departures to 139; while,
Southwest's Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport operation has
decreased to six daily nonstop departures.

"Although we are discontinuing service at Houston George Bush
Intercontinental Airport at the end of the day on April 2, 2005, we
hope to accommodate all of our Houston Customers and friends via
Houston Hobby Airport," Kelly said. "While we do, indeed, regret that
Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport will no longer be a part
of Southwest's operations, we celebrate the fact that the people of
Houston can still take advantage of our extensive flight schedule at
Houston Hobby Airport."

Kelly also stated that all of Southwest's Houston George Bush
Intercontinental Employees have performed superbly and are being
guaranteed jobs elsewhere on the Southwest system, with the
opportunity to work at Houston Hobby Airport if they so desire. A
generous separation package is being offered to Employees that choose
to leave the Company.

In its 33-year history, Southwest Airlines has only discontinued
operations at four other airports: San Francisco International Airport
in 2001; Detroit City Airport in 1993; Denver's Stapleton
International Airport in 1986; and Beaumont/Port Arthur in 1980.

BL.
- --
Brad Littlejohn | Email:
Unix Systems Administrator, |